Topics

E3 Nintendo

• Conman93 - June 8, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Am I the only one that thought the bird tech demo was going to turn into a trailer for okami 2....
  • Pruman - June 8, 2011 8:25 p.m.

@FoxDenRacing: Not to rub it in, but I actually have three WaveBirds. :P Check your local GameStop (the section with the accessories in plastic bags), or smaller specialty game store like Play & Trade. Two of the ones I have came from them, and I think they cost me around 20 bucks apiece.
  • Averagegamer18 - June 8, 2011 8:24 p.m.

I am glad the game comes first and I got to say as a HUGE FAN of Zelda I am loving the graphics and the style they chose for it. I hated that cartoony look to it. It looks much better this way; and I can't wait to play it. I hope I don't need a Wii U for it though; and what is up with Nintendo and putting big ass Spiders as bosses I was hoping for something cooler
  • BurntToShreds - June 8, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I thought that the Wii would be a "Console for everyone". That's why I'm not getting the Cafe.
  • InFeRnOg - June 8, 2011 7:55 p.m.

Also this seems to me a bit like Kinect in that nobody is really thinking it through. If I am playing a game and I have to look down at my controller to issue commands (as a previous poster suggested) or anything like that on the screen, I'm no longer looking at my TV / the action; that's kind of like pausing or opening up a menu now, isn't it? Am I supposed to hold it out in front of me so I can glance up at the TV and down again quickly? Won't that get tiring after long play sessions? Why would I want to obscure my view of my TV with my arms held out and a giant controller in front of me?
  • bluscorp - June 8, 2011 7:38 p.m.

I was kinda thinking the same. But, i have a PS3 already, and i personally don't play games just for grafics. And i get to play Batman and Battlefield this year, instead of having to wait a year, trying to dodge every spoiler along the way to 2012. And also, if the Wii U does eveything, i doubt it'll be cheap. 3DS wasnt excactly cheap at launch.
  • foxyexplosion - June 8, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Wanna go cycling?
  • NightCrawler_358 - June 8, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Wii had good first-party games for the most part. These games didn't benefit from motion control, and in fact would've been better without it. Now, in 1080p we can have a straight up controlled Super Mario Galaxy, (or whatever new 3d mario) Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country, Punch-Out, Metroid, Zelda.... Ah! Its gonna be awesome!
  • Red - June 8, 2011 7:27 p.m.

For once I actually want to see what else it can do.
  • FoxdenRacing - June 8, 2011 7:12 p.m.

@Asmodean: *slow clapping* Very nice sir...well-written, thought-provoking, hopeful yet skeptical...though my joke of choice is 'Windows ME? Well fine, Wii U!' Wii U is definitely ambitious and out there, but it's too soon to know if they'll pull it off. The DS and Wii were doubted too, and look at how well they did. I will contend on the 'not growing up' bit though. Their classics are still classics, but much like Pixar films if gamers are able to break from the notion that adults can't enjoy anything but 'adult' material...graphical masterpieces, mature storytelling, gratuitous violence and/or boobs and/or explosions, grit/brooding/darkness, and/or brutal simulation...without bringing their maturity/masculinity/etc into doubt, their games are still just as brilliant and full of old-school goodness as they used to be, everything we remember but improved for modern hardware. As a devil's advocate...did they not follow you, or did you leave them behind? I'm not saying that to be pretentious or accusatory, simply to provoke thought. Could you enjoy Mario 3/Sonic 2/Mega Man today? Why or why not? Is it the underlying reason, or just to cover up for some sort of fear [normally a fear of seeming emasculated or immature]? Ultimately, there's no shame in enjoying colorful, old-school games. There's still plenty of challenge there, plenty of enjoyment to be had, and giving them an honest chance might lead to rediscovering one's inner child. If anything, being confident enough to admit to liking the less-gritty games like New SMB, any Zelda, or even Viva Pinata [a great, if overlooked, entry in the oft-ignored 'god game' genre], where 'gaming is a major part of my lifestyle'...is much more respectable than the 'I'm so hard' of 'I only like games targeted at teenaged males'. The Wii's phenomenal success proved that gaming doesn't have to be only CoDs and Bioshocks and Bulletstorms and Mass Effects, and anyone that doesn't at least give the old-school an honest chance is really denying themselves some great...but not hard-boiled...experiences. Besides...only those that constantly fret over status and/or status symbols care about being 'hardcore'; the ones that are hardcore now, were hardcore 20 years ago, and will be hardcore 20 years from now all know it's one of those things that just is...either you are or you're not, either gaming is a significant part of your lifestyle or it's not...and no shiny thing or crazed-fanboy allegiance will change that. It's a wisdom to grow into as the bits and bytes of gaming seeps into your veins, living, breathing, eating, and sleeping games...not a title to be won. Scott Pilgrim is hardcore, the GR editors are hardcore...the foul-mouthed 8-year-old on Live isn't, no matter how badly he wants to be and no matter what his K/D ratio is.
  • arguseyed - June 8, 2011 6:45 p.m.

@MrSegraves, you wrote: "And if Nintendo goes back on the console offensive? It'll own the video games market. It already has a stranglehold on the handheld market, and it is making a serious move on the consoles market." I see a common misconception on the internet that Nintendo needs to "catch up" to the competition in some way. Meanwhile, the sales figures show that Nintendo already dominates the home console market. Look at the total number of consoles sold this generation in the USA, Japan, or worldwide. In all regions, the Wii was #1 in sales. Even just this week, the Wii was #1 in USA and worldwide. So, I'd say Nintendo made their serious move on the console market 5 years ago, and it worked beautifully. To me, the only questions is whether or not Nintendo can maintain the #1 spot. I'm neutral on the Wii U so far, until I see more games and a price. But Nintendo is usually pretty reasonable about price, so I don't think it'll be as bad as some are predicting.
  • MaxBernard - June 8, 2011 6:41 p.m.

I like this article in concept, but it ignores a couple of issues that could prove serious with the Wii U. The first is the controller, which is touched on but not as much as it could be. The size is going to be an issue all the way until people can get their hands on it, and probably even after, but it still looks just way too big. And even with its size, they appear to be choosing circle pads over analog sticks, which just will not be good enough for games that require precise analog control. Maybe this is only the prototype controller and its issues will be sorted out by launch, a la PS3's original boomerang (ignoring that Sony stupidly left out rumble for like two years), but it's really bad right now. The second issue, also with the controller, is the cost. Obviously that's still up in the air as well, but to quote Penny Arcade, "that [stuff] don't cost a dollar." With a big touchscreen right in the controller, especially one of such definition as is being supposed at this time, the cost is likely to be far greater than the controllers we see now. For example, this controller has all the functionality of a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller and has in addition a front-facing camera (isn't there one on the back too?) and a huge touchscreen. With controllers already around $60, I'd be surprised if the Wii U controller was under $100. We'll see in time, I guess.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - June 8, 2011 6:39 p.m.

hahaha fantastic article! None of us can really predict what's going to happen to the console except for this undeniable fact: Some are going to like it, others aren't. Simple as that. Myself, I'm probably going to love it. Even if most of the great games that come out for it end up being 1st party (like the Wii), I honestly couldn't care less. I realized very early on that the majority of the games I would be playing on my Wii would be 1st party, with a few 3rd party gems mixed in (Muramasa anybody?). That works for me. It might not work for others. Like I said, some will love it, others will hate it.
  • Asmodean - June 8, 2011 6:29 p.m.

I hate to go for the easy joke but WiiU, peeu... Does it look interesting, yes. Is there potential for greatness, yes. Did they show anything beyond current gen standards, no. How about anything beyond gimmicks, a big no. I loved Nintendo back in the day by I was kid, but I abandoned them in the N64 days when they decided not to grow up with their audience. I have watched this beloved old friend move further and further away from what they were to me. This is something many Nintendo fans seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge, so please excuse me as I belittle all of you who are praising this Frankin-troller(without even full system info, let alone games) as the second coming gaming. Frankly and not to putt too much of a point on it, you're all NUTS and should seek help. Don't get me wrong, I think Nintendo can pull this off, reconnecting with its long lost base to bring out a system that can satisfy both the casual and hard core gamer and dominate the game-o-sphere as it did in the 80's and 90's. Hey I believe in miracles just like the next jaded Schmuck, I really do, but lets get really real. The reality is this system doesn't look any better then a PS3/360 (based on the canned CG, which is another joke unto itself) so what's the point off it? I already have two systems that play the same games I'm not interested in a third and I don't think people who have a 360/PS3 will either. But what about those casual gamer who picked up a wii because it catered to them, they'll get it because they want to join the hard core, right? Ya... this is the same logic that says Marijuana is a gateway into harder drugs (just an example, not Proselytizing) if these legions of converts wanted to play hardcore games they would have bought a PS3/360 in the last 4 years. This bring us the the real problem with this system, it trying to be all things to all people; hardcore and casual, connected and individual, home based and portable, multimedia and console, classic control and motion control, ect, ect... The problem is when something tries to do everything, it usually does nothing well and flashes out. We just have to look at Sony to see how hard it has been for them and their 'do everything' system. The only reason they have been able to have any success this generation is the they are not solely a games company and they have synergized the PS3 into the other facets of there business. Nintendo does not have that option, I don't think they'll go the way of saga when the this pie in the sky idea hits them in the face (a la dream cast) but this thing they're calling a 'console' is hardy worth getting excited over... yet.
  • InFeRnOg - June 8, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Am I the only one who outgrew Nintendo a long time ago? I've played their stuff lately and it bores the hell out of me. Am I the only one, seriously?
  • FoxdenRacing - June 8, 2011 6:08 p.m.

Pruman: Brilliant assertion, I agree almost wholeheartedly. According to Nintendo's E3 site, GC compatibility's getting dropped; Wii hardware only. Also, you have a Wavebird? I hate you. (insert obligatory :-p here, since I had a hard time getting implied sarcasm across yesterday). Those things rock, and I got into the GC game late so can't find 'em, even at retro stores. In general: To me it looks like a DS on steriods...a DS that uses your TV as the top screen. Will it succeed? Will it be just too far out there? We don't know yet, it's too soon to tell. We have to worry about the price of the hardware and controllers, about whether third-party devs can wrap their heads around it without resorting to tacking functionality onto ported games, and whether anyone will be willing to make exclusives for it to really take advantage of the options. With Kinect struggling in that regard [focusing on making full-motion games, rather than augmenting existing controller-based interfaces], I'm not sure how good the gold-to-shovelware ratio will be. Where I will disagree is on the console cycle; Nintendo's set to launch in 2012. MS claimed a 7-year cycle with the 360, putting it at late '12, early '13 (right in line with Halo 4), and Sony was shooting for 12, putting PS4 at 2018. Kinect's potential could carry MS that far, if harnessed; the 360's been slowing down for about a year and needs something to give it a shot in the arm. MS's desperation to make Kinect relevant belies their need for that to carry them through, but the foolish 'replace controllers' push is blowing up in their face. MS is also hiring hardware designers, confirming they're in the process of making a new one. Plus we can't count out MS's preference for last-minute announcements...doubly so after getting punked by Sony last time by: announcing an earlier date to make MS scramble/make mistakes, then push back their own and laugh all the way to the bank [See: RRoD]. Strategically it was brilliant, if underhanded; buy themselves time to work out PS3's kinks and force their biggest perceived rival to make costly mistakes. It only backfired because nobody could have predicted the phenomenal success of the Wii. But, industry pressures might change those plans. The 360 hardware's running at capacity and limiting cross-platform devs, but publishers are afraid of the traditional doubling of cost with each generation; at the generally-accepted $10-$15 wholesale price (what the publisher gets), next-generation's blockbusters [estimated dev+marketing+print run budget of $150M-$200M, double today's blockbuster costs and rounded off] are going to need to move 10M [$150M/$15] to 20M [$200M/$10] just to break even...and IIRC, the number of console games in the history of videogaming that have cleared 20M first-sales can be counted on just your fingers and toes, with digits to spare. And that's to get zero profit, let alone feed ever-hungrier investors that demand more and bigger returns with every quarter. Even the lauded SMB3 didn't clear 20M; Super Mario World did, just barely, but it was helped by being a pack-in game for much of the SNES' lifetime. Most big-name games now move 6-12M copies, 15+ if it's a spectacular success...average games move 2-3M, and sales can go as low as 1M (or less) if it's a budget title or a flop. I'm expecting a new MS console to be announced at E3 2012, with Halo 4 as a launch title. Whether Sony gambles on the PS3 holding out through the end of the 8th generation or making an entrant of their own, I'm not sure. Personally I think anything but going with the other players is foolish, as not only will they be off-cycle if they don't jump in '12-'13 [and we all saw how well that worked for both Saturn and Dreamcast], but by '14/'15, the public perception will likely shift to PS3 being 'old tech'. But what I can say for certain is that the 8th console generation starts next year. Will Nintendo break the 4-generation trend of the first-to-market being a runner-up? Can they repeat as the only console maker to launch first and still be the top seller [the only other time in console history to do so: NES]? Will they even launch first, or will one of the others claim the dishonor? Only time will tell...I say bring it on!
  • D0CCON - June 8, 2011 5:51 p.m.

I feel just like you, I've had both of those guys running around in my brain since I heard about it. I'm scared because using those buttons for most games looks uncomfortable. The analogue nubs (not sticks) are ABOVE the buttons. All the buttons are pushed way outwards to fit the massive screen in. 360 controller comfort that is not.
  • Lindsaaayerin - June 8, 2011 5:45 p.m.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned with is how comfortable the controller will be to hold. Half the reason why I don't play my Wii as much is because I like laying back and relaxing while playing video games - with the Wii I have to sit up and point at the damn screen and do whatever, which isn't as comfortable. I loved the Dreamcast, so the comparisons to Dreamcast excite me. And I love how Nintendo is always different from the other brands. Bring on the Wii U! I do worry about the retail though, that controller will cost a lot. I loved this article!
  • MeanGreenLarryGene - June 8, 2011 5:41 p.m.

Only real problem I see is that they sold this thing like all the big games being ported to it is such a big deal. Most people who care about all the big third party games already have one of the other two systems if not both. So really you would only buy this thing for exclusives or to use the rad new controller. Neither of which are enough of a reason to get me to drop a few hundred bones on a third console. I look forward however to seeing what comes of this thing because it does look intresting.
  • maverick7256 - June 8, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Ya know... If you cross you eyes during the demo video, it looks like someone's playing a white Vita in front of there tv. (hint, hint)