• PaulieWaulie - June 5, 2009 2:08 p.m.

I was a massive Nintendo fan boy and so was of course super hyped by the promise of motion controls of the Wii. Stupidly I beleived it was going to mean one step closer to the holy grail of virtual reality but my first play of Wii Sports boxing burst that bubble. It suddenly dawned on me that it was almost pointless but I ignored my inital feelings at first because I wanted the Wii to work. My admital came when friends started slating it for not being responsive enough, I started defending the Wii's controlers stating that it's not the controller that's the problem. Obviously when you box and get hit in the head or stomach you will being reacting to the impact and so you will not be able to punch yourself. In the game your character may have just been punched in the head and so the character will need a second to recover before he can deilver a counter blow. The problem is when the character gets whalloped you don't so you can continue punching the air like a baffoon but your character will not replicate your moves because they are still recovering from their impact. I'm not knocking the Wii, I think it's great at what it does, I'm just disapointed it doesn't do what I stupidly hoped for and the fact the decent games dried up way to quick so I was forced to buy a PS3 (mainly for COD 4 & GTA). For me I'm not excited by motion controls anymore so I'm not going to get excited by these new ideas. I'm still dreaming of true virtual reality, something like the thing they use in Red Dwarf :-). Also though, what the hell is the point of the pulse monitor for the Wii, worst peripheral EVER!
  • eon - June 4, 2009 9:06 p.m.

I don't see why my left hand or thumb couldn't be tilted to indicate movement, then my right hand used to aim and shoot. I think one of the biggest design flaws in Wii FPS games is that the reticle in the middle of the screen is free-floating. If you want to look in another direction, you have to move all the way to the edge of the screen and hope a new enemy doesn't come into sight on the other side. If any shooters come out of these new motion controls, they have to have locked reticles.
  • pogo - June 4, 2009 6:41 p.m.

sadly motion sensor is probably 1 of the 3 reasons that WII has sold more than 360 and PS3 combined
  • DasavageJ - June 4, 2009 2:21 p.m.

idk why I put "the Microsoft" sorry
  • DasavageJ - June 4, 2009 2:20 p.m.

I would like to start off my comment stating that there is DEFINETLY a chance of this working, pros and cons are there but overall this idea looks amazing. My big thought is that with the PS3 you could just have the motion controls for upper body movement and then use the presumably standard analog sticks for lower body. It's that simple to me. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the Microsoft will most likely realize they need triggers, buttons, and analogue sticks and will do just what Sony did... ADD STICK LIKE CONTROLLERS. That's what I think anyway. BTW I still did like this article regardless of my opinion.
  • JayLin22 - June 4, 2009 11:21 a.m.

Just a thought... With Natal's "scan" ability, wouldn't one be able to scan-in the XBox controller, thereby (with the help of Natal's depth/movement perception) giving the controller "6-axis" functionality?
  • homieomar - June 4, 2009 5:52 a.m.

i think we will just have to wait and see im not to sure about Microsoft motion control though in the demo we he lifted his leg the avatar kind of whacked out for a second but we will see how it goes Sony's look pretty cool too but i already have mouse support on my ps3 so the rts genre is already taken care of
  • lovinmyps3 - June 4, 2009 4:39 a.m.

i think some stuff with this motion capture could be good but at least we will have real games to fall back on if this fails (which it will)
  • Vagrant - June 4, 2009 3:28 a.m.

This is what EVERYBODY's reaction should have been to all this.
  • haraldderhammer - June 4, 2009 12:56 a.m.

"oryandymackie" I don't really understand your agression towards me or my opinion on the matter. I did not do anything to offend anyone, did I? All I said was that I can very much relate to the author's point of view as I felt the same way. What INSIGHTS do you refer to?
  • jar-head - June 3, 2009 11:53 p.m.

all i know, for sure, is that when i have kids, theres not gana be controllers, it's all you, but i physically couldnt see that possible with Assassins creed...ouch
  • charley235 - June 3, 2009 10:52 p.m.

ok quit dissing motion controls, theyll find ways to keep with games, games likes gears of war? just take out the rolling, and it looks like it could work (chainsaw fights!)
  • jarede73 - June 3, 2009 10:23 p.m.

Naysayers of motion control are probably the same personality type that made the identical argument when game companies started implementing mouse control in the early 90s. They realized that the interface was hindering the players' experience with text parsers, getting in the way of the fun. Typing "look under bed" was wrong, when "lift up mattress" was inexplicably what the game wanted. The argument against mice was that it dumbed down the interface to infant level, to the point where there wasn't any puzzle-solving to do. MC is just yet another tool in the control toolbox, which in my opinion has gone a bit stale in the past few years. This is an iterative advance on the Wiimote. Maybe it has better accelerometers, I don't know, but the most important side is the practical application: how can it make games more fun than what can be done with the current control set? I saw some examples here that could add to my gaming experience, for sure.
  • acidrain102796 - June 3, 2009 10:04 p.m.

these cant even be compared to wii...the vioce thing is awesome
  • fionnoh - June 3, 2009 9:19 p.m.

the ironic thing about M$ and sony trying to tap into the casual market is that the fad is over. the media is already going on about how parents are disappointed that their kids wiis have just been given up already. and it's doubtful that they'll pay for something as a ps3 or 360 after the last fad. i can here it already: "why do you need this new toy, you still have the wii?". so unless sony and M$ aim this at hardcore gamers and pull it off i don't think it's going to work. they're already thinking of the casual gamers. on the other hand it could be a blinding success for all three companies, that caters for both hardcore and casual, for many more years, giving them more money to invest in making us better games and better consoles. we can only hope.
  • BeLuckyTreacle - June 3, 2009 8:18 p.m.

motion control for me falls apart at the first hurdle, how many of us are really going to sit on a sofa flailing our arms around to find something on the dashboard? might have someones eye out!
  • jmohan - June 3, 2009 7:10 p.m.

I'm not too worried about the motion for the Xbox and PS3, cos they are just an alternative to, not replacing traditional controls. Great article.
  • oryandymackie - June 3, 2009 6:26 p.m.

This is what I think, I'm sure I posted a comment about it somewhere. Like, how are you going to play Gears or Halo, even SR2? And "haraldderhammer", with the "totally hardcore tattoo dude!" (yeah, right), I hope you're happy taking someone else's place who COULD have ACTUAL insights, unlike your selfish "FIRST ZOMG!!"
  • NipplesTheSuperHippo - June 3, 2009 5:02 p.m.

I never thought it would. I could see maybe a cool RPG for the PS3 motion control in a few years, but that is because that it pretty much what showed . . . RPG stuff. But still, I doubt it will be anything I care about. And I think it is clear from the 360 that the motion camera isn't intended for the hardcore. And the Wii . . . we just don't talk about them.
  • Blubby - June 3, 2009 4:46 p.m.

I don't think it's going to kill gaming; it's just taking video games to a whole new level...sales wise. Why would a company like Sony or Microsoft stay out of the "casual" gaming world when Nintendo took advantage of it and look how much $$$ Nintendo is making from it. Sony and Microsoft are just taking advantage of those type of gamers to make more money for new things to come.