LATEST UPDATE: 12.10PM
Following on from the original story :
* Jenna-Louise Coleman’s first appearance will be in the Christmas special.
* “We saw a lot of brilliant actresses. But Jenna was the only person going faster than Matt - he had to keep up!” – Steven Moffat.
* Series seven will comprise of six episodes airing this year (including the Christmas Special), then eight airing next year - a total of 14. They're described as "14 big, blockbuster-movie episodes - each a brand new epic adventure featuring new monsters and some familiar foes as you've never seen them before."
* Moffat: “Amy and Rory will leave in a final encounter with the Weeping Angels in episode five. Not everyone gets out alive - and I mean it this time.”
* After the initial eight episodes in 2013, there will be more later in the year - exactly how many is still under wraps. Matt Smith is contracted for all the 2013 episodes.
* Jenna starts filming in May.
* The departure of Amy and Rory "doesn't necessarily" mean that River is waving goodbye.
* Jenna auditioned with Matt, and says it felt very spontaneous and fun. "I had an enormous amount of fun in the room!"
* When she found out she had been cast, "I was in Marks and Spencer holding an avocado, debating what went best in a salmon salad."
* Her flatmates had no idea until today: "It's opened up a whole web of lies and I realise I'm a very good liar, actually, which is terrifying!"
* Says Steven Moffat, "It always feels like a miracle when you find the right person." When he saw the two of them together, looking frightened, "It was an instant poster".
* Moffat on casting: "It starts with you telling them who the character is. Then they tell you who the character is."
* Jenna is frightened of spiders. Moffat: "I've written that down..."
* Moffat, from the press release: "It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."
You can see Jenna talking in this behind-the-scenes video to promote Titanic (Jenna first appears at 35 seconds in).
Anybody want to guess what Jenna’s character might be called?
Check out our Doctor Who series 7 news accumulator page!