We Recommend

• Cferretrun - October 16, 2012 9:15 p.m.

I'm definitely super excited about DMC. I've been playing through the first three for a refresher, and man I'm just pumped about this reboot. I'm excited most with the design of Dante. I know, I know- Be careful what you say of the vicious purists will get you. I have played Devil May Cry since its original incarnation. I've followed the anime and the graphic novels, so it's not without difficulty to express that I have been a fan of the franchise since the get go. But old Dante is campy, and cheesy- and that's okay! When I play a game, I like to play games that allow me to get close to the character. Give me a character with feeling, give me a character that has some root in realism. Give me someone who hurts, regardless of how bad ass he is. That's what this new Dante represents to me. A character who has many failings on an internal level, and thus is more 'human' to me. I can put myself in the game and glean much more enjoyment from the experience. The new range of weapons also has me wetting my pants with excitement, not to mention the stunningly smooth battle system. Ninja Theory may not have the best track record as it is, but given the small list of games they've produced- you can't judge a company based only on that. Plus, Heavenly Sword may not have been successful among some groups, but it rated very, very well. I wouldn't consider it a failure short of the lack of longevity.
  • tomliang - November 28, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Oh, if you "STILL" insist Real Dante is "campy, and cheesy"and he is not that "human", and touchy for you in any perspectives, then let me show you a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82A-6waX6w. Without 60fps,the game is not smooth, it is called slow. And without lock on and with a lot of copied and past,(achievement list from DMC3, fly ability from prototype, devil bringer from DMC4) and even more, the most important thing- STYLE METER is broken, Dante becomes a dick head only curse to be cool, Vergil becomes a pretty boy only want to hang around at the gay bar. This not reboot it is called parody!!! This game might "look" beautiful, but it is not Devil may cry, the setting is not even right for the game's name "Devil" may "cry", not "Angel" may "fly"(half demon half "Angel?" ring the bell?) And instead, you think the "Donte" from DmC is so touchy even touches your soul and more "human" with all his his filthy language. like"sack of shit" and"Fuck you". And you said you have been followed up all the stuffs of original series. With those attitudes and filthy language,it doesn't make him human, that only makes this Donte a dick head and unbearable and a disgrace.And don't think you are a fan of devil may cry. No, you are not and FUCK YOU and FUCK OFF. And SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!(Sounds touchy huh? Does that touch your soul now?) Real Dante doesn't have a fan like you. He can be cool without cursing a word. Though he always pretend he is care free, he actually cares his friends and people around him,even would drop tears for them(The game is called DEVIL MAY CRY,remember?)And that makes him more human then ever!!! SO, STOP pretending you are a fan of this franchise and fooling around , trying to ruining Dante's reputation. You don't deserve to be his fan!!! AND ,FUCK UUUUUUUUUUUU!!! FUCK YOUR WHOLE LIFE!!! YOU ARE JUST A FUCKING JOKE, RETARD, and IGNORANT!!! WHO THINK HE KNOWS THIS GAME A THING OR TWO. WHICH IS NOT. YOU ARE JUST FUCKING DELUSIONAL!!! THINKS A BROKEN GAME IS "SMOOTH" AND FUN??? HOW CAN YOU BE SO FUCK UP? AND YOU EVEN THINKS REAL DANTE IS "CAMPY, AND CHEESY". TELL YOU ONE THING , THERE IS NO OTHER GAME CHARACTER IS MORE HUMAN THEN DANTE, EVEN HE IS HALF DEMON!!! HE IS MORE HUMAN THAN YOU!!! EVEN HE IS A GAME CHARACTER. IF YOU DON'T EVEN POSSES THE ABILITY TO UNDERSTAND A GAME, THEN YOU SHOULD GET A DOCTOR AND READ MORE BOOKS,BUT NOT KEEP PLAYING GAMES!!! FOR YOURSELF, AND THIS WORLD SAKE!!! JESUS CRISES!!!
  • n00b - October 16, 2012 4:56 p.m.

I was initally worried about dmc since ninja theory hasn't had a track record for having great gameplay but the help from capcom seemed to have done the trick. interested to see how it turns out. god of war... the action game for the masses, moving on. MGS Rising looks great and me being a Platinum i hope to get it day one
  • ZeroZmm - October 16, 2012 4:48 p.m.

I am getting both MGR and GOW anyways so the comparative is pointless I guess..but now I might also get DMC.
  • taokaka - October 16, 2012 4:34 p.m.

For me the answer is obvious, all three. Although I may only get one or two at launch, God of War is definitely a day one purchase from me because I've been a fan of the series since the first however I wasn't always excited for it due to the advertising emphasis on multiplayer but once they showed off the single player I was excited again. MGR might be a day one purchase because I love platinum games and MGR looks so fantastically over the top that I can't resist. DMC will probably be a purchase at some point later when I can get it for cheap, the combat looks really fluid and the art style looks great despite this I'm more excited for the other two so I'll wait for DMC.
  • Fuzunga - October 16, 2012 2:07 p.m.

Metal Gear Rising for me!
  • Zeedar - October 16, 2012 1:55 p.m.

I'll just get the one that'll eventually make its way to the PC, and that is DMC. I loved DMC 3 and 4, and I'm hoping they'll do jutice to the franchise. I don't care about Dante's hair color.
  • gilgamesh310 - October 16, 2012 10:13 a.m.

Metal Gear Rising is the only one that legitimately interests me. The other two franchises have been flogged to death and their latest incarnations don't seem to offer much improvements at all. I think DMC in particular will be completely redundant. MGR seems to at least be adding new features to the genre.
  • johnny-kratos-davidson - October 16, 2012 9:35 a.m.

God of War: Ascension will be the best by miles, nothing else will come close. God of War III is the most critically acclaimed and best selling game in the genre ever and only God of War: Ascension can top it. Why do internet nerds say it hasn't changed at all? Aside from the genre defining multiplayer mode there's the new world-weapon system, the new art-style, new composer, new free climbing system, the time manipulation mechanic and the story is going to be completely fresh since we get to see the human side of Kratos before he loses his mind. The other games are insignificant, God of War: Ascension will be the mot critically acclaimed, best selling and most beloved game in the genre next year and probably of all time if it can top God of War III. The story in the God of War games are always amazing, the combat is always the best in the genre being easy to learn and difficult to master, the graphics are always at the very pinnacle of what's possible on the consoles the game's on and the God of War games always have beautiful OST's and amazing voice actors. There's a reason God of War is regarded as one of the best game series of all time and the absolute pinnacle of the genre, nothing else will ever come close. I'd bet everything I have that God of War: Ascension will outsell both DmC & MTR:R on all platforms combined next year and will be more acclaimed. People have been waiting since God of War III in March 2010 for a new God of War game on home consoles and it's finally coming and it's going to be a masterpiece.
  • Hig1134 - October 16, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Agree. Looks better in every way. I have my collectors edition pre-ordered. Can't wait!
  • taokaka - October 16, 2012 4:36 p.m.

100% agree with what you said about the people who say it hasn't changed.
  • BottleBank - October 17, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Since when did selling more mean that the game is better?
  • Fox_Mulder - October 18, 2012 1:53 p.m.

Your opinion is void because you have Kratos in your name. The word "biased" wouldn't do it justice. I love GOW, but I want it to be disappointing now because of what you said with your blinders on.
  • MeanwhileGuy - October 16, 2012 8:55 a.m.

No, everyone is most definitely *not* over "Dante's" hair colour. But I'm honestly tired of complaining about it, so I'll shut up. For now (though have you guys seen the designs for Vergil and Mundus? Jesus Christ, I didn't think they could screw up the character designs any more, but NT apparently can.). The gameplay looks great though, and the environments are vastly reminiscent of DMC3, it's definitely earned a playthrough of the demo, maybe a rental. GOW:A llooks like exactly like the three previous games, but seeing as I loved all of them, I'm not really complaining. I just wish they'd do something more interesting with the story other than "Kratos is angry and murders things because of X reason.". Still, I'll probably pick it up once it's a bit cheaper. MGR I'm cautiously optimistic about. Optimistic because I love Metal Gear to pieces, cautious because of the direction Platinum have taken. That and Bayonetta sucked copious amounts of ass, and no, I won't be persuaded otherwise (I just couldn't get into the controls, and I hated the art style). I'll at least give it a rent, purely because of my love for the franchise, but unless Platinum knock it out of the park, I'm still on the fence about this one.
  • jackthemenace - October 16, 2012 8:54 a.m.

May I just suggest 'God of Want' for the missing pun on the last slide? DmC's definitely shaping up to look good- maybe even better than Revengeance, although I sincerely hope not. Either way, both of them are must buys. God of War, on the other hand, wasn't SUCH an amazing game the first time that I especially want to buy the prequel, especially since it kinda looks to be more of the same. I'll still try and pick it up, but at a more bargain-y price. I think Revengeance is still my most anticipated title. even though it's apparently not as graphically 'pleasing' as DmC, there's something about the new Devil May Cry that looks... Ugly. The funky demon-world stuff looks wicked, but the bits set in the actual human world, with their grimy browns and ugly stains and things just turn me off the game. And as long as Revengeance can keep up the frame rate with massive brawls going on, it's fine by me.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 9:25 a.m.

I think that how "Pleasing" the graphics and style are in this case is more of a subjective thing. I respect Houghton's opinion of course, but from what I've seen so far, I also find the MGR aesthetic to look shaprer, better defined and pleasing than Dmc's. Just because it doesn't look as bizarre and colorful as bayonetta doesn't mean is any less graphically cool.
  • Z-man427 - October 16, 2012 8:33 a.m.

The only one I won't be able to play will be God of War as I don't have a PS3. Unless there's a way to get the cross buy on the Vita, which I bought for AC: Liberation. DMC and MG Rising both look great to me.
  • BladedFalcon - October 16, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Awesome article! And as someone who's interested in all three titles... Yeah, Metal Gear Rising is far and above the most promising looking for me, and the only one I know I will buy for sure. Dmc looks great as well, but I'll still wait for the reviews and overall consensus just to be safe. And GoW: Ascencion looks good... it's just that it also looks entirely more of the same. Which is not an entirely bad thing since the core concept is great... but this being the sixth entry of the series, is starting to get stale as well. Also... there's something about Dmc's gameplay that I want to know about, and so far no one has quite answered it: The stylish bar. Does it still exist in this game? For casual or outsiders that might not mean anything, but for anyone that loves the combat in Dmc it means a LOT. I mean, that system, which basically rewards you for mixing up and trying new combos and punishes you by repeating or mashing moves is pretty much the main cornerstone of what makes the DMC series a much more varied, fun and challenging action game series than most others, bayonetta included. (I loved bayonetta, but the lack of such system meant that once you found one favorite combo, you could just spam it over and over and over again.)
  • GR_DavidHoughton - October 16, 2012 8:51 a.m.

Yeah, it's in there. Fear not, the whole SSS - D scale is ready and waiting.