• TheWebSwinger - September 1, 2009 12:54 a.m.

This is an excellent article. It really talked me down from my post-deal grief. I mean, it still sucks, but at least there's a bright side.
  • nadrewod999 - September 1, 2009 12:53 a.m.

@Hurricane I just want to remind you that Bolt is a movie by Pixar, a company made into a giant by Steve Jobs, who then recently sold it to Disney, but Disney was smart enough to mostly leave the creative staff alone (like the brilliant Lasseter), only swapping out the bosses and mostly getting rid of Pixar's singular credit on its films (replacing it with a Disney logo) and changing out the bosses (mostly leaving Jobs to go back to his co-creation (yes, Jobs didn't build the original Apple computer, he just ruthlessly got the supplies for it and marketed it)). In the future, here is a good rule to go by: If it premieres on TV, is live action, and/or just builds on a toy line/TV show, it isn't Pixar, it is Disney animation and can be harassed as such. Also, I have played enough games and seen enough movies to know that Marvel has been constantly building on its potential for interactive platforms and movies/TV shows for a while, and while most games and TV shows (sorry GR staff) didn't show too much promise, many movies, especially their most recent solo effort "Iron Man," have been really great (the opposite is true with DC: they have better games and TV shows (the animated ones, not the Adam West one) for Batman than the movies (sorry Bat-fans)). Since Disney has mostly made its games playable when they aren't cash-ins like movie games (or even worse, games based on movies based on TV shows based on a teen singer) and made some half-decent TV shows and movies, I say that this deal could help both of them, since Disney has already sucked each of its characters dry of creativity and Marvel has had its limbs pulled in all directions by distribution companies wanting fees, movie companies wanting good plot lines for the characters, and game companies wanting lists of different powers of different characters to be used in movie games (like Wolverine's accelerated healing, which means he needs to be killed instantly if you want to kill him), so even though I sometimes think Disney is just a big corporation that wants to suck all life out of anything it touches (just like Rogue if she liked using her power on everyone), I think this could be a good thing.
  • Dexsus - September 1, 2009 12:38 a.m.

@ FalconMbuster Actually in South Park, Mickey Mouse and the Jonas Brothers do appear together except they're not holding hands. He kicks one of them in the nose xD Anyway, personally I think this'll ruin Marvel but I guess we won't find out until 2019.
  • GamesRadarChrisAntista - September 1, 2009 12:19 a.m.

@ringslinger Rant away! I share the same fears you do... although, most of them are just as applicable to Marvel had they never been bought by Disney. Disney itself rendered their characters into soulless commodities, and given enough time, I assure you Marvel would've done the same thing. But thanks to people like Lassetter (and Pixer), Disney is a smarter company with more respect for its properties. Take the Muppets for example. From what I've heard, they've been pretty hands-off and the next movie is looking to capture a tone that's more reminiscent of what made them popular in the first place, instead of trotting out something meaningless in the first year of acquisition. To me, it sounds like they've acknowledged that they didn't fully understand the Muppets the first time, and that they're better off left in the hands of those who do. If that's the case, I think there's plenty reason to be optimistic about Marvel. This is like a support group!
  • Fancy Rat - September 1, 2009 12:12 a.m.

Way too much panicking here. Disney is not going to dumb down Marvel, they may be a big scary corporation, but they're not retarded. This is just Activision/Blizzard again; nothing's gonna change.
  • Conman93 - September 1, 2009 12:10 a.m.

I would love to see sora webslinging around new york with spidey btw that nightcrawler video as EPIC!!!
  • Soren - September 1, 2009 12:03 a.m.

Antista is happy about the possible of is favorite ducktales characters in a fighting game vs marvel o capcom
  • GrantG - August 31, 2009 11:58 p.m.

this could be very interesting...
  • ringslinger - August 31, 2009 11:38 p.m.

For me the fear that Mickey is suddenly going be leading the X-Men isn't my concern. The biggest issue for me is that Disney, a company notorious for how it handles and restricts it's IP (see the whole Pooh debacle) now has all of the Marvel Comics characters, FOREVER! And while today it's not really a big deal (Marvel will make it's comics and Disney will stay out of it), tomorrow it will be. Trust me there will come a regime along the way that thinks it will be able to do it better. Look at how hamstrung DC comics is sometimes in what it can and can't do with it's comics depending on what movie is coming out. Trust me, today it's all wine and roses but in the future Marvel is going to get mired in the muck and it's going to be never ending. Today, Marvel became part of a massive global, merchandising and entertainment company. All those things that made Marvel agile and able to do things like start their own studio and do things their way are gone. Sure they have their people in place now, but that's just not going to last. A ship like Disney is incredibly hard to turn. IMHO Marvel just sold themselves into a cage, a gilded one for sure, but a cage none the less.
  • GamesRadarChrisAntista - August 31, 2009 11:26 p.m.

I know we're all feeling pessimistic and silly, but the internet's fear of Disney properties invading Marvel's is a little unwarranted. Outside of the occasional promotional opportunity how often did/does Mickey Mouse or Jack Sparrow cross paths with Hannah Montana or HSM anyay? Seriously, I'm asking!
  • CARLINNIT - August 31, 2009 11:04 p.m.

I think we're in for a lot of shitty games.
  • Hurricrane - August 31, 2009 10:42 p.m.

this is so depressing... I can never look at Iron Man the same again... plus all the movies won't be as good since Disney can't make movies for shit nowadays
  • Superdude576 - September 5, 2009 7:25 p.m.

Noooos! Cancel deal! Cancel deal! I've got a couple obvious reasons. 1. Disney, who used to make great family movies, makes a good movie 1 out 3 times it produces one. Weeding out its good movies gets harder and harder through the months as the beauty Walt created is slowly killing itself. 2. They don't have violence, Marvel does, the fusion....? I really don't want to look. 3. KH+M=Crap. I myself thought when I first bought KH that it would kinda suck, but come on, Marvel and Kingdom Hearts? Kingdom Hearts 2 is barely E+10, so unless Disney pulls a +rating to T and pulls back a little for the next PS2/PS3/whatever KH sequel (may it come and stay on PS2), the fusion would have a heart attack and collapse after release. Please, if the deal happens, I only have one thing to say: Disney, we're watching. DON'T SCREW UP! (P.S. twigs nonmedallion is my captcha. Nonmedallion refers to Disney...does twigs relate to something future Marvel? The captcha is gettting smarter by the second...XD)
  • Consti2tion - September 5, 2009 10:08 a.m.

I Need $5billion STAT!
  • Tobio - September 4, 2009 10:49 p.m.

come on, Disney is not a stupid company, so couldn't this be about money only? I mean, they're not going to make kid versions of the Hulk or some'n.
  • sadisticgrizzz - September 3, 2009 2:41 p.m.

as long as they dont take my cigars n turn my claws into twizzlers we might b ok
  • super0sonic - September 3, 2009 5:02 a.m.

As long as Deadpool stays deadpool i am happy.
  • NotBraze - September 2, 2009 6:58 p.m.

@oldgrammastinkyfeet You're right, as far as the company as a whole goes, Lasseter doesn't have to much say, but he is the Chief Creative Officer over Disney and Pixar animation, and all of the theme parks.
  • oldgrammastinkyfeet - September 2, 2009 5:53 p.m.

Lasetter isn't the main guy. He is actually #1 at Pixar, but like #7 at Disney. He still has to have "elders" input his decisions.
  • pastycaucasian - September 2, 2009 5:20 p.m.

They better not destroy any of the Marvel characters by putting them with dumb ideas.