• ncurry2 - May 10, 2012 12:21 p.m.

The two posts below make sense... if you never got invested in D2. For those of us that did though, playing through it just to see where the story goes (and the gorgeous cutscenes) will be worth the price. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions that they made (Real money auction house being the prime suspect) but it is Blizzard after all. They wouldn't release a game if it wasn't top notch.
  • InFeRnOg - May 10, 2012 2:06 p.m.

I played a lot of Diablo II. That is why I was disappointed with the Diablo III beta. Not even taking into account the numerous issues I have with the direction they have taken, it was surprisingly unpolished for a game that was 99% complete. Revisit Titan Quest, then get Grim Dawn when it comes out next year. I will be very surprised if you don't have more fun doing that than you will playing Diablo III. Even if you want to see what happens in the "story".
  • ncurry2 - May 10, 2012 4:18 p.m.

While I agree that there are still a number of issues, I respectfully disagree that it won't be worth the purchase. Obviously this comes down to personal preference. A number of changes seem to alter what people like you and me associate with the Diablo series(attributes, skill trees, unabashedly downing full rejuvenation pots during duels, etc.) but I've gotta admit, I'm kind of glad that they are at least trying to improve upon Diablo 2, not just rehash it with new paint. As great as D2 was, it's a 12 year old game. It would be foolish to expect anything other than a lot of changes. As far as being unpolished, I think that's a little premature. It was only act 1 and a very bare bones act 1 at that (from what I understand, there will be much more in the full release of act 1). And even so, when you think about D2, how many of your memories naturally turn towards playing through Act 1? One of the things that surprised me most after playing the free beta weekend was how much I actually liked the new skill system. I was completely against it until I actually tried it out. Now I'm more excited for the game than ever. In D2, it was so hard to try to experiment with new things since that would require hours of leveling (or at the very least trading off some decent gear to do a good uber run; something I think will be lacking from D3) and an enormous amounts of either magic finding or trading for gear. Then you find out that light sorcs aren't nearly as good as fire sorcs and all of that is for nothing and you've gotta restart everything. At least now you'll have the ability to try new things and experiment without scrapping the failed one.
  • InFeRnOg - May 11, 2012 12:30 p.m.

You're talking about "improvements" from a 12 year old game. There have been other action RPGs since Diablo II you know. Titan Quest. Torchlight. Both improved upon the formula. Diablo III seems to be removing things that made it fun. Grim Dawn, out next year by the guys who made Titan Quest, will most likely be a much better entry in the action RPG genre. In my mind TQ is what Diablo II fans had been waiting for. D3 just isn't shaping up. But the fanboy anticipation will drown any doubts and this will sell extremely well, even if a lot of people playing it are in denial about it being a good, fun game, and an improvement over Diablo II, which it most certainly is not.
  • ncurry2 - May 11, 2012 4:27 p.m.

I must admit, I've never played (or heard of) Titan Quest. I played Torchlight and thought that it was a very cheap, quick cash-grab Diablo clone to be quite frank. I'm not trying to say "Diablo 3 is the best game ever created!!1!" because I haven't played the full game yet so I don't yet know whether I like it or not. For the same reasoning, you can't say that it most certainly is not an improvement over Diablo 2 because again, you haven't fully played it yet. I hope you at least appreciate the irony of your sentiments about fanboys and their denial when you step book and look at your own behavior; just in the opposite direction.
  • Fox_Mulder - May 13, 2012 2:58 a.m.

Torchlight, while good and worth it's price, was the first Diablo with modern graphics.
  • Mooshon - May 10, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Judging by the beta D3 looks likely to be a huge hit, looks and plays great. The real money auction house system is going to be revolutionary though. It added a completely different spin to things knowing that the rare weapon drop you just had would sell for more than you bought the game for. Was amazed at the money changing hands. Give it a couple of years and every AAA title will have this addition I reckon. It'll be interesting to see how the inevitable boom of frenzied asian gold farmers will affect the industry though.
  • inkyspot - May 10, 2012 11:58 a.m.

I never played the first one, Probably because I never had a PC that could run it. I am interested in this one, but I will also wait for the reviews.
  • Sy87 - May 10, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Alot of my friends say Diablo II was real good. Sadly I never got to play sooooooooo... kinda waiting to see how this one is. Do like dungeon crawling. I will wait for the review. Do trust your opinions.