Topics

E3 Gaikai WTF

• ZhugeLiang - January 12, 2012 8:48 a.m.

I wouldn't mind Sony leaving the hardware race. I like my PS3, but I feel like Nintendo having only one competitor would force it to ramp up its efforts to recapture the noncasual game market, bringing it back to the hardware forefront that it hasn't been a part of since the SNES days.
  • MidianGTX - January 12, 2012 9:13 a.m.

And you really think they're capable after the casual-gaming driven gimmick-ridden baby toys they've been messing about with the past decade? Not worth the risk. If they want to produce garbage, let them. I've lost all interest in how the Japanese don't care for high end technology.
  • firelegendmush - January 12, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Sony is Japanese.
  • pr0tostar - January 12, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Doubtful you'll return to this comment, but I'll kindly correct you on that statement. Google "Akibahara."
  • InfinityPrimo - January 13, 2012 5:40 a.m.

I live in Japan...and I approve of this comment
  • illathanyouu - January 12, 2012 10:05 a.m.

lol nice avy
  • jmcgrotty - January 13, 2012 1:06 a.m.

Nintendo already has no competitors to worry about. Sony and Microsoft make consoles. Nintendo quit making real consoles back in 2006.
  • Scammeleon - January 12, 2012 8:13 a.m.

So... No Dreamcast 2 :-(
  • A9entOfChaos - January 12, 2012 7:56 a.m.

What happens when the internet goes out, how will all this cloud gaming be for all of us? Oh yea we won' be able to play. Then since everyone of us is connected to everyting we do (assuming we are cloud gaming) The government will easily be able to switch us "off" whenever they want because of loss production, national security, brain washing kids, etc. or whatver they throw as an esxcuse to control the masses.
  • potpan0 - January 12, 2012 9:08 a.m.

I think if there was a government that would go to the extreme of turning off the internet, not being able to play games and view websites would be the least of our worries.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - January 12, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Good thing the US doesn't have a government that would do that. ...oh wait, I forgot about SOPA. Forget I said anything.
  • chrisbarker1980 - January 12, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Load of old bollocks. Gaikie simply trying to garner a few headlines for themselves.
  • bananablitz - January 12, 2012 7:35 a.m.

While you do make good points for why this is plausible I still have trouble believing that source based on what they work in and it would be in their interest to place doubt in physical consoles in favor of cloud based gaming, like your last point states
  • wedgie - January 12, 2012 7:27 a.m.

I honestly never even heard of Gaikai until they started saying this...
  • rxb - January 12, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Good insight Dave, also I worry about your time in school.
  • mothbanquet - January 12, 2012 7:02 a.m.

Come back, Sega! Come baaaaaack!!!
  • MercurialForce - January 12, 2012 6:57 a.m.

The day cloud-based gaming becomes a reality is the day I quit gaming. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but Canada charges for internet usage, and the prices are huge if you go over your data cap. I wouldn't be able to sustain streaming games. Also, I don't know why there's such an emphasis on cloud-gaming being the next big thing. I much prefer physical copies, and I don't want to have to rely on the Internet to keep my games for me.
  • mikeylawson - January 12, 2012 6:47 a.m.

Insanity. Gaming is the biggest entertainment industry in the world. MW3 has made double what avatar did. Sony especially because these consoles tend to be partnered with televisions, Sony would benefit there too. (I know this isn't the best phrased argument but I'm really hungover. Leave me alone internet.)
  • larkan - January 12, 2012 7:04 a.m.

The fact that a crappy, overhyped game made double of an overhyped, crappy movie just goes to show where the world is today in terms of how many idiots are good at blowing their money. Maybe it is time for consoles to die off so companies take a step back and remember how to make good, quality games again, instead of releasing buggy messes and using us as paying beta customers.
  • MercurialForce - January 12, 2012 7:39 a.m.

Strange that you think that when both that movie and that game got very good reviews. Clearly somebody liked it.