• Jackonomics2.0 - December 20, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Also seriously? Tomb Raider? It's even second place goddamn it. I haven't played it yet but I heavily doubt it was actually "Fun", I'm still on the side that you guys meant seeing Lara getting hurt was your "Fun"
  • BladedFalcon - December 20, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Then you should play it first, then make your opinion after. The best thing about the game is that it IS in fact, pretty damn fun, the combat is super well polished, and the puzzles and exploration is pretty well realized. And this is coming from someone that didn't care at all for Tomb Raider as a franchise before. And honestly, the Lara getting hurt doesn't happen that often after the beginning, and it's more jarring than fun. Of course, the story is pretty "meh" and so are the characters, which is why I wouldn't have consider it as the best game of the year, but as one of the most fun? yeah, that I can fathom.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 20, 2013 3:17 p.m.

I'm holding up for the next gen version so I guess ill see,but it's kinda off at a glance at first, atleast compared to the rest of the list.
  • BladedFalcon - December 20, 2013 3:23 p.m.

I will concede that looking at trailers or screens it doesn't look all that different or fun, you only get that feel for the game once you start playing it for a while, and realize that this isn't a linear tube or progression, but rather cleverly designed areas that you can explore and come back to any time you feel like it. People often have called it a 3D Metroidvania game, and that's an actually not a bad way to put it.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 20, 2013 3:40 p.m.

Hmm, interesting. Quick question since you mentioned 3D Metroidvania without it's own namesake, what type of game IS Lords of Shadows and why do people like it? It just looks like a rip off of God Of War and yet people like it and it's soon to come sequel.
  • BladedFalcon - December 20, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Lords of Shadow is not, in fact a Metroidvania, and yes, you could say it's closer to the style of game that God of War and Devil May Cry are. However, there's several reasons why I contest it's far from a shameless rip-off, and why it's a legitimately good game of it's own. First and foremost, it's because it's just very well MADE, it looks pretty good despite it's low budget, it has a ton of variety and content, specially in regards to it's art design and level progression, it's simply a far bigger game than any God of War or Devil May Cry before it. Secondly, the combat is not identical to God of War, the core might be, but the way the game incorporates a light and dark magic system to the combat adds it a layer of strategy and management that the other games don't have, and makes it so the game has a flavor of it's own. Thirdly, the lore and the story is pretty solid and interesting, it's not the best of the best, nor does it break the mold in anything, but it's far more coherent than what most action games offer. But really, short answer is that it's just a very well made game, it may not be overly original or unique, but that isn't a measurement of quality. And the sequel looks even more polished in most aspects.
  • Redeater - December 20, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Not Lords of Shadow. Shadow Complex. (I remembered the name finally) :) I was referring to the explore an area, get a new item and explore new areas as well as old ones that have had new paths opened up.
  • Vonter - December 20, 2013 9:01 p.m.

Lord of Shadows is at its core a hack n' slash game, then it adds light/dark elements to mix up the combat and "tries" to add depth to it. It also has some puzzle levels and some traversal levels to add some variety. Its a decent game that IMO stands from other regular because of the brand and mainly because of its impressive visuals, the story is good executed but its a bit bloated.
  • Redeater - December 20, 2013 4:27 p.m.

Jesus, the whole "Lara getting hurt" is such a small part of the damn game. I've fully completed the game twice and while it runs around 20-30 hours (I think) the "Lara gets the shit beat out of her" consists of maybe 10 minutes of cut scenes. That is pretty damn miniscule when compared to the majority of the gameplay. If you have ever liked any Metroid or....whatever that 360 shadow game was......check it out. I definitely had more "fun" playing TR that TLOU. It isn't the better game but it has more enjoyable gameplay.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 20, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Expected, people know what's up. Gamespot gave GOTY to Link Between Worlds, it was surprising to everyone there and because of it, ensued fanboy wars as usual. I don't agree, but I don't care either, as I said before I don't care about top down games. Tom Mcshea's reason is because even if you take the nostalgia of Link to the past and even the Zelda name away, the game is still fantastic. But apparently he normally has a grudge against Zelda games having too much casual hand holding and stalling for the sake of the story that Link Between worlds is a good step up with its open world structure and item renting to get away from the cancer that Nintendo shoves in their games. He even went as far as calling the game the best Zelda since Link to the Past. It makes me almost want to buy a 3DS, but I don't want to. I cant get into handheld shit, not even my own phone.
  • Vonter - December 20, 2013 9:12 p.m.

ALBW main flaw its relying heavily in ALttP structure, it could be called a reboot since aside from the ending its retreading ALttP. Still as a stand alone game is very good and I think it might be the best portable Zelda.
  • shawksta - December 21, 2013 11:02 a.m.

It does rely on A Link To The Past's structure, but as they said, take that away and the game itself is still wonderful, its the freedom that made it excellent and frankly if anything as coop said in the last podcast, it makes you excited for what they'll do in the Wii U Zelda.
  • Vonter - December 21, 2013 2:34 p.m.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. As a standalone title its an amazing game, in regards to how you approach the game's dungeons and how it captures that wonder classic Zelda games did. If it were an entire new world I would jump the fence and say the game its the best Zelda. Even with the light narrative the game excels at giving fun and wonder.
  • shawksta - December 21, 2013 7:54 p.m.

Yeah and even then with the story being light, it was still effective. I didnt play it yet but it gets me excited to, im saving money for the Zelda 3DS XL
  • BladedFalcon - December 20, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Not bad, not bad at all. Well chosen Community, very well chosen ^^