Topics

PSN

We Recommend

• LeSieg - October 2, 2011 7:09 a.m.

I just got very excited because all I saw was "Chrono Trigger...October 4th." Then I saw "PSN" and got upset and slightly angry that I had been denied and XBLA version. Then I actually considered the implications of that and kicked myself. GamesRadar 1, LeSieg 0.
  • NightCrawler_358 - October 1, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Give me a break, the industry is practically robbing me blind. Why can't they spread all this good crap throughout the year!?
  • soranamineforever - October 1, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Well, as the developer himself said, "If they want more, they should buy more!". Get to buying, guys, 'cause I definitely want more.
  • Thanadros - September 30, 2011 7:34 p.m.

One of the most memorable games I ever played. I'm afraid to pick it up again because it might not live up to my memories. Chrono Trigger FTW!
  • 510BrotherPanda - September 30, 2011 7:12 p.m.

I've never played Chrono Trigger, and have been holding out on getting the DS version...does the PS1 version have better music than the SNES version?
  • Scoob - September 30, 2011 7:33 p.m.

What is super annoying about the music in the PSOne is that it's a music track that fades out to silence for a second or two before it repeats from the very start of the track. And by that, I mean, when it does that, it starts over with all the build up at the start of the song that a typical RPG song will have. This is also the problem with the other SNES to PSOne ports (FF4-6). So to answer your question, no, the music is not better. Music aside, it's a pretty terrible port. It's got load times for everything, where the game is supposed to have a very seamless feel to it. You should have picked up the DS version, it's the best one, IMO. For a while, in Canada at least, it was going for $20 about a year ago. Then again, if you've never played it before, the gripes I have might not bother you. I picked this game on day one for the SNES back in 1995.
  • 510BrotherPanda - October 1, 2011 12:47 a.m.

But...the DS on doesn't have the same sound chip as the SNES one, does it? Is the DS port lower sound fidelity? I can still get it if I can find it... The only SNES RPG I ever got was Legend of the Seven Stars, which was also by Squaresoft. And I played the living butts off of it.
  • Scoob - October 1, 2011 7:52 a.m.

I would imagine the DS has a better sound chip. As anyone would suspect, the game sounds great with a pair of headphones, but not quite as much using those little speakers. If you're looking for an exact reproduction of the SNES version and you have a Wii, pick it up on Virtual Console for a mere 800 points.
  • thatnerdguy1 - October 2, 2011 8:39 a.m.

The DS one remixed some of the music, but it sounds a lot better then it did. The battle music is a bit more fast-paced, for instance. Other then that, it sounds great and I couldn't hear anything different. The bonus content is awesome, too. It's worth the extra few bucks.
  • D0CCON - September 30, 2011 6:47 p.m.

So that makes it DS, Wiiware, and PSN. With so many remakes, maybe they'll soon try an actual sequel? We can only hope.
  • Brutalicus - September 30, 2011 5:09 p.m.

Crap, so if this is the PS1 version, does it also include the mandatory 10-second load time when you need to use the menu, enter a battle, or do anything gameplay-related?
  • chrisat928 - September 30, 2011 5:12 p.m.

Since it'll be on a HDD/Memory Stick, probably not.
  • gumbyx84 - September 30, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Its still there. Might be less than 5 seconds, but its still there.
  • tuomotaivainen - September 30, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Enough with the ports! Hurry up and make a proper Chrono Trigger sequel (or even prequel)! And no, Chrono Chross DOES NOT count.
  • dcbernman - September 30, 2011 4:53 p.m.

I love the original game. I really do. I love the music, I love the art, I love the pacing and the dialogue and of course the story and the gameplay. But if you're going to package and repackage the game over and over and over again, couldn't you at least modernize it or update it a bit Square Enix? Those of us that have played it have already have likely played it to death. Why not spice things up and at least humor us with a reboot of Chrono Trigger Resurrection? tldr REMAKE
  • ChiChiRocket - September 30, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Like I said before, you just can't beat the portability of the DS version.
  • GAYMER - September 30, 2011 3:59 p.m.

I don't recall you saying that before :p
  • chrisat928 - September 30, 2011 4:09 p.m.

You could transfer the PSN version to your PSP, so, portability!
  • Johnny6Gun - September 30, 2011 3:25 p.m.

PSX version? Blech!
  • badgraphix1 - September 30, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Is this going to be the SNES version or will it have the updates the DS version did?