• Rambit69 - March 19, 2012 1:40 p.m.

Ok, as a young man, I was an officer myself, and of course you can end up in situations in which you don't have any "good" choices left. But usually, you at least sacrifice everything for a greater good. I think that is, what really puts off a lot of the fans. There really is no greater good at the end of the game. Your choice is: You blow up the Mass Relays and a) send the Reapers away, b) kill all synthetic life, even that of the race that has just proven, that the problem the "Catalyst" tries to solve, does not exist or c) join biological and organic life, destroying both original forms in the process. Oh, and you have to kill yourself in the process. Since the galaxy is thrust into the Stone Age again due to lack of infrastructure an space travel, that seem a bit like overkill to me. You almost wish there was option d) Let the Reapers get f...ing on with it to end the suffering for everyone. There is a decision in the game, that would allow for another option. Since it is possible to forge peace between the Geth and the Quarrians, and help EDI develop her identity, the "Catalyst" could perceive the cycle as broken, and withdraw the Reapers. At that point, that is not a "good" ending either. Shepard has lost many friends by then, and billions across the galaxy are dead. And he has to live with the knowlege that he failed to prepare the galaxy for the Reapers earlier. This was Oh, and while I am at it: Killing the Reapers and facing "Chaos" should be an option that Shepard survives, because the moral decision there would be to live with the knowlege that he has condemned organics to fight with synthetics until all organic life is destroyed. It's easy to make that decision if you know you won't have to live with it. I regret to say, that the endings that are there, are all bad endings. And whether Earth is destroyed or not, is just a nuance of those bed endings.
  • Fox_Mulder - March 19, 2012 1:54 p.m.

Depending on your military strength, Shep survives.
  • Sinosaur - March 19, 2012 2:14 p.m.

In which ending is that true? Because I know for a fact that I had my military strength bar at the maximum, and my Shepard most certainly did not survive. In fact, I recall the (not well thought out) ghost kid image telling me that taking these paths would kill me.
  • BladedFalcon - March 19, 2012 6:35 p.m.

Apparently, it happens if you chose the red ending and if you didn't trigger an optional even to "save" Anderson from TIM shooting at him... How exactly this makes sense and equates to being the factors that save Shepard's life is beyond me...
  • thing1amc - March 19, 2012 1:29 p.m.

Goddammit I loved the ending. As a person that has played every entry multiple times, I can say I have no quarrels with the ending (except maybe that I would have liked to have a showdown with harbinger, but it doesnt really bother me). I'm not really sure how they could possibly incorporate every choice in the game into the ending. Every decision made came into play in some way across all three games. The ending was appropriately bittersweet. Its about war. What I dont think people realize is that changing the ending wouldnt really fix the problem they have with the current one. They'll always know that the current ending is the real one. Lastly, a large complaint was that all the endings were similar. But Mass Effect has never really been about what you experience in game, but what you take with you when you're not playing, and the endings all have far-reaching, vastly different implications. I think your opinion on the ending depends largely on what you expected going into it. Bioware, don't change a thing.
  • brazmanoqk - March 19, 2012 2:11 p.m.

The problem is the lack of personalisation. The whole point of mass effect is that it's your story, this ending is just a blanket ending for everyone rendering every choice you made pointless. If this was the ending to a standard action-adventure game, if gears ended this way for example, I wouldn't have a problem whatsoever.
  • Redeater - March 19, 2012 1:27 p.m.

*Spoilers.....but what are you doing here if you didn't know that? If someone can explain this one thing to me maybe I will be less angry about the ending. Why the hell was Joker flying away from battle? This is a man who had to be pulled off the Normandy against his will at the beginning of Mass Effect 2. In every conversation I had with him he was a completely dedicated soldier who believed in their cause and we are supposed to believe that not only he but the rest of my unused squad abandoned earth to a safer solar system??? Did this happen before of after he thought Shepard was dead because it sure as hell couldn't have happened after! Please someone give me something I can swallow because this was an amazing game with a horrible shoehorned ending. (I don't even want to get into the Mass Relay debacle)
  • Redeater - March 19, 2012 1:30 p.m.

I'm not kidding.....someone please answer this for me so I can go back to saying ME3 is one of the best games of this console.
  • samsneeze - March 19, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Well, you see, Joker was possibly "ordered" to do so by an outranking officer. I of course think this is complete bullshit, but people have chosen to believe that. Yes, people are actually willing to believe that during a win all or lose all battle, people were ordered to leave. I guess, you know, for funzies. There is also the fact that your love interest and even Garrus will leave you behind. Because that makes sense.
  • Sinosaur - March 19, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Yeah, Joker has been shown throughout the series to be more than willing to ignore orders and to be completely loyal to Shepard. I can't think of a single named character on the Normandy who would be willing to abandon that fight, let alone Shepard, by the end of the game, orders be damned.
  • IcarusLeonardo - March 19, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks that the fact that the ending was rushed could have been EA's fault?
  • OD-Apache - March 19, 2012 1:54 p.m.

No, the whole game after the Cerberus base felt rushed. The final battle should have been 4 times as long, where you could call in Krogan, Rachni, Geth Prime, or artillery strikes to aid your advance, sometimes with success and other times with great defeat. This is something Bioware HAS done before, but because of the writings own limitations, we had another one of those, "Find the objective, push a button to advance plot" scenarios. I believe any true Mass Effect fan would have gladly waited until the 2012 holidays if it meant a more...polished(?) game.
  • Canvas_Of_Flesh - March 19, 2012 12:59 p.m.

So, like, we get to look forward to paying $15 dollars for an actual ending in about 6 months? Sign me up. /sarcasm
  • Darkhawk - March 19, 2012 12:50 p.m.

I'm saying it right now: Mass Effect 3: The Search for Shepard.
  • daniel-herrman - March 19, 2012 11:28 p.m.

I think that i would rather see something like a new hero steps up and the world branches from just this galaxy to others. You know like new races, new threats and maybe even some more history and their creators.
  • daniel-herrman - March 19, 2012 11:29 p.m.

sorry i meant to say history on the reapers and their creators.
  • Fox_Mulder - March 19, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Please no. The ending had nothing wrong with it, and even though all of player's decisions didn't directly affect the ending, most of them decide your military strength which therefore changes whether or not Earth survives the final battle. What Bioware has done with the Mass Effect series with the decisions carrying over from game to game and imported saves has never been done before. I think most people don't take that into consideration. Nothing is wrong with lack of closure, in fact that is what makes the ending so great because fans can speculate what happened and also it gives Bioware opportunity for DLC and even a brand new game. Please don't back down Bioware! I love Mass Effect and am even playing through 2 again to get a save where all of my crew survives the suicide mission. I think people who want the ending changed should think about all the movies they've seen in which they didn't like the ending. I didn't like I Am Legend's ending, but I also didn't create a petition to have it changed. Granted, the Mass Effect situation IS different, but for Bioware to change the ending just because some people weren't happy with it is ridiculous. They made the ending what it was, and I'm fine with that. However, if they were to add more options into the final decision, that would be fine, but when people say "change the ending" I'm worried that I'll receive an update for the game and the next time I beat it, I will see a completely different scene than what was there before, and I am NOT fine with that. Also, that lawsuit about false advertising is just plain bullshit. False advertising is all over this country, and to call out Mass Effect 3, of all things, is just insane. The guy who filed that thing needs to be bled of all his money for trying such a ridiculous stunt. That case is in the same boat as the McDonald's hot apple pie and a load of other BS court cases people file to exploit our court system and get some free cash from companies over some grade A bullshit.
  • Ironarm - March 19, 2012 12:55 p.m.

This. A thousand times this. I agree completely. Open ended isn't necessarily bad. At least in my opinion...
  • Redeater - March 19, 2012 1:21 p.m.

Yeah that is great but you fail to include that lack of closure isn't even in the same ballpark as an ending full of plot holes and inconsistencies. At first I didn't mind the ending.....until I watched the other two endings on youtube. They are damn near the exact same with only the most minute differences. I don't want to get into spoilerish territory but I have read some fantastic breakdowns of the ending and what those plot holes are. If want an ending that was hastily put together and addresses NOTHING that you have done in the game until the last 2 minutes......good for you. You got it. Some of us have invested 5 years and hundreds of hours into this game and I expected more than a 2 minute cut scene filled with plot holes. I respect your opinion but please don't expect the people who have spent countless hours loving this game to accept this nonsense without having their say.
  • Jahbu - March 19, 2012 1:21 p.m.

WOW finally a fan that actually has a decent responce to the issues at hand. I agree 110% with your statment. Im soooo glad that there is no happy ending to all of it...In my opinion a happy ending was never possible no matter what your chooses where. Good Job with this comment Fox_Mulder!!!