• SentientSquidMachine - March 20, 2012 2:35 a.m.

If everything after running to the beam isn't a dream, nothing they come up with would make any sense, especially any future dlc. It would have to be Broken Steel-esque; waking up from being knocked down, opening your eyes to reveal that the battle is still going on then proceed to epic ending....whatever that may be. Honestly the RED ending seemed most appropriate, very ironic, but fitting. BLUE was a kick to the balls/flexible tentacle crests of everyone I had to watch die. And GREEN: ...so can we like...do it now?...wtf. Creepy. In ME2 the dynamic was cute, but I lost a lot of respect for my pilot in ME3. All that said, love the series, and will buy dlc...damn you Bioware, you Reaper bastards.
  • Incognito - March 19, 2012 9:51 p.m.

We'll all buy it, don't lie. I doubt it was a marketing ploy though. Bioware doesn't have to put us over a barrel with a terrible ending to get us to buy their DLC, we do it anyway regardless. I think it's a good thing they are at least listening, when in all reality they could just hang us all out to dry. Still doesn't make their incompetence any less staggering.
  • larkan - March 19, 2012 8:31 p.m.

They had this planned since the beginning, it's called a marketing strategy. By the time everyone gets so pumped up about it, they'll be able to sell millions of DLC packs that will add to the ending. If you want to show Bioware you don't approve of them purposely leaving the ending out to make more money, don't but the inevitable DLC that will come out in the following months.
  • haxxoromg - March 19, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Personally, I don't care that it's not a happy ending and I don't care that the ending is a bit more abstract than other installments of the series; I could even overlook the lack of closure. What I refuse to overlook, however, are all the goddamn plot holes that didn't exist until literally the last five minutes of the game. Ahem: How did the rest of shepard's ground team survive? Why didn't they follow him up the citadel beam? How did they get back to the Normandy? Why was the Normandy trying to escape through a relay anyways? How did the crucible wreck the Normandy if it left every other non-reaper ship alone? How does controlling the reapers or synthesizing organic and synthetic dna prevent future generations from creating synthetics anyways?
  • inkyspot - March 19, 2012 8:08 p.m.

Either the writers and the people who approved the writing smoke some really bad weed, or they planned this so they can sell us DLC's. I am thinking the lata. No way you could end a wonderful series like this with that garbage full of hole story. I think they were trying to make us feel how it's like to be indoctrinated. I really don't feel I am wrong with this.
  • Pwnz0r3d - March 19, 2012 8:42 p.m.

If Shepard controls the Reapers, he obviously won't send them back to the Milky Way for the Reaping. He has to have kept his memories during the conversion for this to make sense, but that isn't explained. Control of the Reapers won't stop the creation of synthetics, (as the ultimate fate of the "blow shit up" ending shows you) but it does stop the cycle. Synthetic Hybrids make no sense at all, I'll agree with you there. The whole point of the synthetics was to make our lives easier by letting them do shit for us. If we're half synthetic, we're still going to build robots because we inevitably kept the lazy side of sentient DNA. As for the Normandy, none of that makes sense either. Seriously, this game's ending is like if the entire Star Wars saga abruptly ended because Palpatine died of old age and Vader's life support turned off in his sleep as soon as Han and Luke went on the Death Star to save Princess Leia.
  • griffinkat - March 19, 2012 6:45 p.m.

For all those that think this is silly or whining or such just think on these few things. 1. The creators of ME promised that the decisions made would affect the out come of the game. It does not. In fact it makes all the time seem a bigger waist making it so instead of saying, "Oh I wanna play them all again to see what happens if I do save this person or kill that one or team up with the thugs" The ending has killed several peoples desire to replay. That was the promise that was the goal to have a trio of games where your actions have true weight to them but that's not what we got. Isn't it gamers right to say this is not so and we want some kind of fix? 2. We are in a new game space here. Till the ps3/360 we never really had DLC patches and tweaks in games. You bought it that was it. Sure companies might make a directors cut or such but the game was the game. Now though we are in a new system where they can add new missions, new side quests and new characters. And if the game is glitched they can fix them (just look at Skyrim). Is it really over demanding when we've yet to see it or try it? Now I'm not saying that if every game comes out and something isn't what the gamers want it should be changed but when a company promises things in their games and they are not there can the gamers not speak up and ask for what they paid to have? They could very well just leave the endings as they are and just show what happens to the rest of the crew. To the armies to the men women and aliens that fought. Are they all dead if you get the bed endings? do they rebuild if you get the good? Do they become monsters if you chose another? This is a whole new gaming world where makers can get feed back to add/alter or tweak their games. The question now is to find the balance between them and we'll never know if we don't ask for the things we want.
  • IsaacShadow - March 19, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Even if all this rage and online petitions do nothing, atleast we have given Bioware a giant middle finger and told them to fuck off.
  • thing1amc - March 19, 2012 7:07 p.m.

uuuuuuuummmmmm ass.
  • IsaacShadow - March 19, 2012 8:38 p.m.

Loads of ass.
  • Shanetexas - March 19, 2012 5:54 p.m.

Any other video game series come close to Mass Effect? Can you think of any other previous games in a game series where people urged you to play them so you could get the character you wanted? People have spent trillions of hours on their characters, fostering their relationships. No other game franchise put so much emphasis on the choices you made. Then Mass Effect 3 came out and suddenly we knew the answer to the meaning of life, why we struggle, why we fight to survive: to choose to see red explosions, green explosions, or blue explosions. And also for Seth Green to ditch our ass so he could get some robot nookie. Thanks, bud. The outrage stems from the fact that people care about this game franchise so much. Hey, Rage's ending was a pile of puke, but the internet didn't blow up. Nobody had a strong emotional feeling for that game.
  • BladedFalcon - March 19, 2012 6:41 p.m.

Yeah... I actually enjoyed rage.... kinda, I mean, it had interesting ides. But you're right in that no one gives a fuck if the ending felt obviously incomplete... because the story wasn't well developed in the least, not to mention any memorable characters. Oh! But how dare we to want a better polished ending from a series we care about!
  • sh33phead - March 19, 2012 4:34 p.m.

After finishing Mass Effect 3, fans should have been left with a "wow, let's go back to Mass Effect 1 and play a whole new story" feeling. Instead they made fans feel: "...f**k this s**t".
  • Pwnz0r3d - March 19, 2012 4:56 p.m.

This. EXACTLY. The only real changes you can make by going back and replaying the whole trilogy is the killing of characters. While that might SEEM major, they're ALL replaced in ME3. No choices you make in the first two games affects the endings, because all you're left with is "blow EVERYTHING up, with the ultimate ending being that synthetics annihilate all life in the far future, turn everyone into Terminators, or become a Terminator yourself and force the Reapers to leave." None of the choices in the WHOLE series affects any of that. Which, honestly, is terrible. There was so much hype over individualized endings, but if you want to see all three endings, all you need to do is a load a save you made before make the decision.
  • TheLeagueOfNinjaSquirrels - March 19, 2012 4:26 p.m.

I can’t believe that Bioware couldn’t have come up with a better ending for their story. For 150 hours they come up with a perfect tale that leaves you begging for more and within just ten lousy minutes, the whole franchise blows up in your face. It’s like having Indiana Jones 4, Star Wars E1 and Batman 4 rolled into one horrible mess. When about halfway through ME3, I planned to play all three from the start and complete everything (including the boring side quests on ME1) but now, I don’t even what to look at the disks let alone play them. The games are still brilliant and deserve a 10 / 10 but sadly the last 0.5% of the story is enough to ruin the whole thing. In fact the only ending that could have been worse is if Shepard wakes up and it was all just a dream, the reapers never really existed and Shepard is actually a low life alcoholic bum on Earth who never really served in the Military. I for one have started to question what Bioware are up to. First the god awful book that was released a few weeks back then the whole Day 1 DLC mess and then unbelievably bad ending. It’s not hard to understand why people are angry (although some are a little too angry). I think the only way they can fix this is to pretend that the last bit was a holodeck simulation or a really bad nightmare the night before. Then the real battle happens. For me, there have only ever been two bad endings in awesome games, Tomb Raider 4 and Fallout 3. Now it looks like three. (Spoiler Alert) Also with all the Mass relays blown up, how is the franchise going to continue when the best element (intergalactic space travel) is now impossible? Also, won’t the Quarians left on Earth starve to death? Just a thought.
  • mstrchf117 - March 19, 2012 3:52 p.m.

I have multiple issues. first, it didn't feel like i was saving anything. part of that may be because of my second issue. I want to know what happened to everyone. i wasn't exactly expecting a long cutscene, or series of them, but at least something like in dragon age: origins where it said what the other characters got up too afterwards. Another thing is that the second game didn't seem to matter at all, except for the war assets. i was looking forward to having the crew from me2 at my side as i killed the reapers, but no, they don't show up except for a few little sidequests. Although, i could see ea selling dlc to tie up loose ends. Play the final fight as miranda, jacob, or tali. That said, it was still an awesome game up to those last 5-10 minutes. I want to go back through, not get any of the war assets, just blow through the main story and see if that effects the ending at all.
  • Anderjak - March 19, 2012 3:10 p.m.

People can hate the ending all they want. They should learn to accept a bad ending, though; sometimes, that can't be helped. If Bioware wants to release a "director's cut" or something later on down the line, where it's clearly a different version of the game, that's one thing, but the idea of gamers demanding a new ending be built from scratch is one of the most entitled and selfish notions I've heard in some time. If you dislike the ending, you have the right to complain and say it was bad! I don't think anyone's even saying that. But it is what it is. You think I have the right to demand a new ending to Indigo Prophecy, which was bat**** crazy and completely too strange for even its setup? No. Because that's the way it is. You take the hit and you move on. Save the campaigning for more important matters in the industry.
  • ParagonT - March 19, 2012 4:24 p.m.

People can be angry over a ending that they believe is horrible. Just because people did not get angry and ask for another ending on another game doesn't mean that it's not okay for others to do so, thats just the difference in the fanbase. No one is demanding a ending in the majority and the number that are demanding one are vastly being exaggerated. Bioware has the right to just ignore those of us who would like to see a different ending, but they will have to take whatever negative feedback they get. It's just how it is. It's perfectly fine to show discontent, but no it's not okay to demand one, but on another hand if a consumer feels cheated or slated by a product, I see no reason to criticize them for their discontent. These "crusaders" are the reasons that companies have to be on their toes and try so hard, because without critics the video game industry's giants would be able to sell shit products to all of us. In all, I understand that no one should feel entitled to a new ending, but I would rather fans be upset than sit on their asses content of the sub par things thrown their way.
  • mistahsponge - March 19, 2012 7:12 p.m.

yes exactly! i mean i love the game, and the ending sucked, but shit happens. if Bioware wants to fix it, let them, but i sure won't demand them to change it to my satisfaction. i for one couldn't even make a game, let alone create an entire universe from scratch like they did. i played ME 1-3 and they were all good, but no where in that am i entitled to demand a rewrite from Bioware. i'll voice my concern and say the ending was a let down, but the last five minutes didn't ruin the previous 150+ hours i spent on the series, so i still love it all the same
  • KnowYourPokemon - March 19, 2012 7:48 p.m.

Yeah! Next time I go to a restaurant and my food is uncooked, I'll complain about it sure, but how dare I ask for new, actually cooked, food. I mean, I only paid being told I was going to get a fully cooked meal and did not receive what I was promised. How "entitled" I am, expecting to get what I was told I was getting. I should be ashamed of myself.