Topics

mmorpg top 10

• Bantha_Fodder - September 12, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Heh, nice one, putting TORtanic on the list at all. ... Oh wait, you're serious.... oh my...
  • Viron - September 12, 2012 8:07 p.m.

Nice troll attempt friend. Maybe next time you could actually think of something original, instead of the same thing everyone has seen a million times over. You know like SWTOR's combat system.
  • ObliqueZombie - September 12, 2012 12:10 p.m.

I'm still a huge fan of WoW. Still play it, still enveloped in its lore (Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War is a fantastic novel), and I foresee myself playing it for quite the years to come. That said, I still bought SWTOR day one and loved it to DEATH. I'm very glad they're going F2P, but with benefits for long-time subscribers like myself. It's really great to see them alive, and I pray another Galaxies doesn't happen. Also glad to see a little love for Warhammer Online. It was definitely a fun time when I played it, especially being a Games Workshop fan across the board (no pun intended). Every race/class really captured what Warhammer was all about, especially the WAAAGGGH of the Orks. Great game, and I wish I had all the time in the world to squeeze that into my MMO list. Good article, Coop. I know see you as our resident GamesRadar MMO connoisseur. ;)
  • Imgema - September 12, 2012 12:26 p.m.

How does DC Universe Online work? Everyone gets a super hero? Can't imagine walking around in a town full of batmans ans supermans...
  • Bantha_Fodder - September 12, 2012 4:51 p.m.

It's explained like so: *EXPOSITION* In the distant future, there's a big war where everyone but Lex Luthor dies. Braniac invades, kills everyone (but Lex Luthor) and condenses the superpowers into these things called Exobytes. Luthor steals the Exobytes and time-travels to the past to warn the Justice League about the invasion. They release the Exobytes to turn everyone into Metahumans so they can train them and fight off Braniac. *EXPOSITION* So everyone is either a Hero or Villain of their own creation (you choose your powers, costume, etc.) who trains under an established Hero or Villain (Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman for Heroes, Joker, Luthor, or Circe for Villains). I recommend it, even if you don't read comics, it's a really solid game.
  • frank-handley - September 12, 2012 1:56 p.m.

Everquest 2 should be listed on here. It has been going strong for many years. Still has expansion packs coming out and has a large community. Since it went FTP the population increased and Sony has been adding a lot of new content.
  • dcbernman - September 12, 2012 5:48 p.m.

I wouldn't put them in the same vein as these mmo's here, but I've had a lot of fun with Dragon Nest, Rusty Hearts, and Vindictus. That said, I'll be saving up for a new computer (my rig is five years old and it's still holding together admirably) so that I can get the most out of GW 2 And maybe even SWtoR if (when?) it goes free to play. It's the closest I'll ever get to KotOR 3 anyway D:
  • dktuesday - September 14, 2012 1 a.m.

If you like those types of games RaiderZ dawg.
  • max-kolb - August 1, 2013 6:12 p.m.

lol GoW2 is not worth getting a new computer, it's a pretty shitty series. who wants to play a clunky 3rd person shooter? no one ever.
  • laurenhiya21 - September 13, 2012 12:06 a.m.

I don't care what anyone says... I love Mabinogi >< I just can't get into any other MMO as I can't stand having a set class (which most MMO's have...) The only thing that is a little annoying about it is that Nexon seems a little money-grubbing at times >-<; (oh and I have tried WoW, but I just couldn't get into it >< Not to mention that even if I did like it, eventually I would have to pay a subscription fee... and I HATE subscriptions for games .__. Plus I'm poor)
  • Ulricmag - September 13, 2012 4:44 p.m.

EVE Online. Been on and off over 2 and a half years. Still love it, though I wish there were more hours in a day.
  • xxdismalfirexx - September 13, 2012 5:09 p.m.

I wholeheartedly agree with #5. LOTRO is amazing; it's basically one giant loveletter to tolkien fans. AND it's free to play now. I'm a current subscriber and since Turbine just keeps adding content I will probably continue to be for a long while.
  • gin-juice - September 29, 2012 4:33 a.m.

FFXI was were the big boys use to hang. Took me over a year to grind my first job to 75. Every piece of good armor was hard-earned and well-worn. COP quest took months/years to complete. Too bad they went the WOW(played for awhile too) route and made questing and leveling super easy now. Last time I played all I saw were max level noobs with crap gear and no idea how to play. This writer probably never played ffxi, hence it's not up there. I think ranking should be done for paid subscribers + years in service. Obviously WoW would be #1 but ffxi would make 2-3.
  • dashell86 - June 29, 2013 5:01 a.m.

I couldn't agree more. I was on there for years and I'm yet to find another game to keep me hooked and entertained as much as ffxi did. Tried several since, including the old republic and warcraft, star wars was incredibly boring when you hit the maximum level, I paid for the game and then a subscribtion, and after 6 months I was done, too easy and monotonous quests. But back to the original point, give ffxi the credit it deserves, wizard 101 and other related $h!t without a mention of one ffxi. Sort your life out.
  • Develsadvocate - July 4, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Agreed, without FFXI this list is void.
  • victr-dimitrv - July 3, 2013 9:28 a.m.

For World of Warcraft!!!The best mmo-rpg and the best game EVER!!"
  • raigne - July 7, 2013 5:41 a.m.

Ok WoW - could never get into it seemed a little weak. (sorry fanbois my opinion). EvE Online - Best MMO. 1 server and great market, came to it a little late and playing catch up is never fun. Age Of Wushu - didn't think i'd like it but at the moment its my favorite MMO and if it wasn't for snail USA, there shitty customer service, bot/hacker problems and the bug that keeps the Royal Guard class at 3rd internal level 11 I'd be tempted to say best MMO ever. So even though its new and needs a lot of work, I'm going to be bold and say AoW as my best MMO
  • victr-dimitrv - July 11, 2013 7:47 a.m.

WoW best
  • nicholas-grencz - July 15, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Wow... thought this was worse to best but it really went downhill on the end. WoW as number 1? Really, wow is for people who haven't had any exposure to real MMO gameplay. I've been playing MMOs for years, and some key games are missing. I would have to guess this is written by a newcomer to the genre, or one who favors ease of(IMO lack of) gameplay over risk/reward situations.
  • riley-maxwell - August 14, 2013 4:09 p.m.

hate all you want it just shows how newby u are :P
  • AznxTina - July 29, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Haha, The only MMO that caught and held my attention was Maplestory. It was a such a fun and social place to be before the bigbang. So, if Maple was still like it was a few years ago, it'd definitely would be the best hands down.