• CountRichtertoffen - February 15, 2013 6:41 p.m.

Why do you choose Super Mario Bros. 3 over Super Mario World?
  • GR_HenryGilbert - February 15, 2013 10:10 p.m.

I touched on it a little in the Mario 3 entry with this: "Even though its direct sequel, Super Mario World, uses better tech to try and improve on Super Mario Bros. 3, the enduring excellence of Mario 3’s couldn’t be surpassed, and likely never will be" World was a little too focused on showing off the SNES, while Mario 3 was solely interested in amazing gameplay.
  • CountRichtertoffen - February 16, 2013 9:28 a.m.

I can understand that. I guess it just comes down to personal preference in some cases, where I actually preferred SMW's improvements. I love Mario 3, though, and either would be worthy of placement on this list.
  • taokaka - February 15, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Why do you feel the need to keep resurrecting this despicable list?
  • GR_HenryGilbert - February 15, 2013 10:12 p.m.

It's pretty different from last year (other than number 1). This disappoints you just the same?
  • taokaka - February 15, 2013 11:44 p.m.

My biggest complaint from last year was how the bloody hell the sims 3 beat god of war in the rankings, now my biggest complaint is how in the bloody hell is god of war not on the rankings at all? It jumped from about 30th to not on the list at all.
  • willianne-perik - February 15, 2013 7:03 p.m.

I have one thing to say to this: trololololol trololol trololol
  • neyoam - February 15, 2013 7:09 p.m.

I'm shocked that you didn't put Legacy of Kain and Splinter Cell series in this chart. Especially Legacy of Kain deserves to be here (for story,music, everything). Other games like Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot (first 3 parts!) should be here too.
  • FunkyPickle - February 15, 2013 7:12 p.m.

Saints Row 2 is infinitely superior to Saints Row the Third. Saints Row 2 had a better city, better story, better characters, and tons more customization. Even small things like pedestrians sailing boats and flying planes were missing in Saints Row the Third, that game just removed so much, it was depressing.
  • chadmurphy - February 15, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Fallout 3, Street Fighter 2 and Metal Gear Solid 1 Each is perhaps the number one best games of all time and they aren't even on the list??? I mean SF2 is a total video game icon of all time, no one can contest this.
  • FemJesse - February 15, 2013 9:12 p.m.

They are being represented by a different game in the series that the authors felt was more Iconic. I would have wanted Earthbound on this list along with Mother 3, but they picked Mother 3 to represent the whole series, which I have no problem with.
  • Cyden - February 15, 2013 8:55 p.m.

This was a nice list and an enjoyable read. Thanks for the effort of putting it together. As for games that I think that you have missed: First off, Resident Evil 4 is certainly not representative of the Resident Evil series. Neither its best offering. That is due to the fact that the first games in the series were survival horror, while from 4 and onwards they became action games with some horror elements. The best game in the series for me is Gamecube's Resident Evil 1, by far. Resident Evil 4 is the best once the series got transformed. From there on, I think that you either don't play many computer games, or have forgotten about them for the most part. No other way yo0u could have missed Blood for fps level design excellence. Quake 3 for fps multiplayer excellence. And the biggest omission, the one which truely buffles me: No One Lives Forever. THAT is the almost perfect fps, not Portal for me. And those are not the only ones. I can't fathom any such list without the likes of: Duke Nukem Soul Calibur II Golden Eye 64 Perfect Dark Wipeout And Hitman, to name a few. Lastly, I think that you should reconsider what each of the games in the list offered that was so good. Modern Warfare had impressive setpieces, but the level design was shamefully bad for a videogame. A good videogame should at times look like a movie but always, ALWAYS play like a videogame, and MW's linearity is so archaic it makes Doom's stage design seem like a thing from the future On the same note, Uncharted is mostly a held-by-the-hand spectacle rather than a videogame. Te initial Tomb Raider games have far better mechanics and level design, despite their age. I am hesitant to say it, but I think you have fallen victim to the looks-over-gameplay "plague" that seems to have infected quite a few gamers these days. Which is also apparent by the rankings in my opinion, where at times you push back classic games in favour of newer releases that just seem a bit more shiny due to their more recently released status, like you did with Half life 2 being behind Uncharted for example, where in other cases you didn't put a genuinely better entry in a series ahead of its predecessor, like in the case of putting Super Metroid ahead of Metroid prime. But igniting discussions and remembering somewhat forgotten favourites is what these lists are mostly about, and you did a fine job of that :)
  • FemJesse - February 15, 2013 9:10 p.m.

I believe the title is "Best Games" not "Most Historically Important Games" Play GoldenEye 64 again. It does not hold up well.
  • CountRichtertoffen - February 16, 2013 9:26 a.m.

A number of the games that you have listed have not aged very well since release. Any sort of graphical bias when talking about games like Duke Nukem (3D I assume), Goldeneye, Tomb Raider, and Perfect Dark is irrelevant when faced with those games' archaic controls. Those games may have been important, but they can't be considered very good by most terms.
  • Obscurica - February 15, 2013 9:20 p.m.

I am absolutely convinced that it is a mistake to exclude Relic's original "Homeworld" from the list. Though made at the tail-end of the 90s, it's nonetheless stood the test of time: an amazing soundtrack, a story literally biblical in scope and aspiration, and graphics that embraced the loneliness of the vast void. Have you all forgotten the pretty contrails? The despair as Kharak burned? Or that moment of jaw-dropping awe when you realized just how mind-bogglingly large that megastructure was in the far distant background? There have been many scifi games, and many set in space, but none have even come close to encapsulating the lonely grandeur of space like the original Homeworld has.
  • Scoob - February 16, 2013 4:19 a.m.

Of any post I've seen regarding this article, I think your's is the only one that I agree with about of a game that is missing. On that note, Freespace 2 deserves an honorable mention somewhere too.
  • Darkgenesis - February 15, 2013 9:34 p.m.

Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy Tactics made the cut but Final Fantasy VII is nowhere to be seen, and that made the franchise, sold the best and people have been begging for years and still beg for a Final Fantasy VII remake, yet other games from their franchise that people forgot made the list? Plus only 1 elder scroll game made it onto #50 ish on the list and yet the last 3 elder scrolls games at least got game of the year and every elder scroll game is highly anticipated for? and thats just off the top of my head, where did they find the guys who made this list?
  • brickman409 - February 15, 2013 10:10 p.m.

Its the list of the best games ever, not the most popular games ever
  • farreach - February 16, 2013 6:58 a.m.

7 is nowhere as good as 8 or 10
  • DICEs - February 15, 2013 10:17 p.m.

This isn't a list about which is technically the best. It's entirely subjective "their" personal favoured games. They may not necessarily cherish all "your" favourite games. It's not a definitive these of the greatest games ever made ever which no one can ever argue with. Ever. (Although the title does lead you to believe that). Basically don't get upset "your" favourite game isn't on there, enjoy reading a well written list of what others think are good games. You never know. It may broaden your horizons a little.
  • noble_dogma - February 15, 2013 10:40 p.m.

I feel that minecraft deserved better then 88, otherwise this was a good list