• Larinah - April 20, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Anything specific I could have said has already been said, but I'll give you the basics of my disagreements. 1. Switch Portal and Portal 2 on this list and they'll almost be in their proper spots. No game has ever made me dig through it for 100% completion before Portal 2, other than Metroid Fusion and Ocarina of Time. Even in this respect, it should be #2, not #1. 2. Wind Waker should be #1. I've cried at very few points in games over the 19 years of my life, but the emotion conveyed in that game will always make it my favorite. I can't think of my favorite part of any game without thinking of how I bawl my eyes out almost every time I see Link's grandma sadly standing on the balcony while he sails away and the music changes... Truly chilling and #1 on my own list at least. 3. The fact that Cave Story is nowhere on this list makes me very, VERY angry. If Wind Waker is my #1, then Cave Story is at least #4. Beautiful story with a beautifully artsy 8-bit style, and gameplay that will always stand up to the greats. It's the only game I've ever bought multiple times on multiple platforms. 4. The fact that none of the Saint's Row games are on this list saddens me. I personally consider 2 to be the best of them, but 3 definitely has it's charms, and it's arguably even more fun than GTA IV. I say arguably because it is a very subjective thing. 5. Don't get me wrong, I love the first Bioshock, but I thought 2 had a better story and gameplay. I'm in the minority with that opinion but whatever. Those are my opinions of the problems with this article. A lot of work regardless and worth praise!
  • ashley.vivier - April 20, 2012 4:11 p.m.

The second Bioshock was horrible. That is all.
  • TCMU287 - April 20, 2012 5:10 p.m.

You clearly know nothing about great story and gameplay. That is all.
  • HankVenture - April 20, 2012 6:23 p.m.

I want to believe you're just trolling, but I think you might just be an absolute buffoon instead.
  • TCMU287 - April 20, 2012 7:52 p.m.

Who, me or ashley?
  • ashley.vivier - April 21, 2012 11:31 a.m.

They got lazy with the gameplay in the second one I felt. But to each their own.
  • gazzc - April 20, 2012 3:15 p.m.

my list. 5. battlefield 2 4. Gta vice city 3. unreal tournament 2. sonic 123 1. doom ps1
  • g4m3rk1dd - April 20, 2012 3:06 p.m.

totally surprised FF7 didn't make this list.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - April 20, 2012 3:52 p.m.

Warning: As long as I am employed at GR, I will make it my business to keep FFVII off this list
  • Pacific - April 20, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Is it because you didn't cry, and everyone says that you missed out? :)
  • Asmodean - April 21, 2012 11:59 a.m.

No it's because it sucks :P
  • KidJustKid - April 20, 2012 3:05 p.m.

For me, only a few omissions or errors. FF13 - I know, but judging by the amount "This is the essence of the ____ genre of games", I'm surprised this didn't make it as simply 'the ultimate platonic conception of the JRPG". Its flaws are part of its design in that sense. I therefore would have considered it separate from the other FFs which are there for different reasons. FIFA 11 - I'd put this as the most balanced and slick-playing of all FIFAs so far, just edging out either 09 and 2004. You simply cannot ignore something which is essentially open ended, and is simply so enjoyable Chrono Cross - If Chrono Trigger is 3 (which I agree with), CC is about 8. Depends on how tight you define sequel but fair... Mirror's Edge - At least for me, this was a second gateway into intelligent gaming. I missed the boat on story based games on PS2, but this showed me what narratives and 'universe creation' were capable of outside of the basic premise-to-gameplay. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Again depends on if it's sequels in or not, and is you prefer to DE1. Personally, I'd go for HR. Feel free to flame. Age of Mythology - The perfect and most enjoyable RTS ever. No question. Remember, how a community plays a game severely influence how much it fits 'best' in this sense - I challenge you to truly enjoy multiplayer Starcraft. Civ 4 > CiV Ridge Racer (PSP) - Probably the most addictive game I've ever played, and I know one with 4rd most hours invested in it behind CiV, Pokémon Diamond and FF13. Some list to beat though, well done guys. Obvs the American part of GR contributed more, but fair enough. I approve.
  • TheWebSwinger - April 20, 2012 2:54 p.m.

111 page article....what have you become, gamesradar.
  • gavin-butler - April 20, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Can't believe God of War 3 isn't on this list! :(
  • HankVenture - April 20, 2012 4:01 p.m.

God of War was on it instead because it's story was more compelling. TI gave you a character you didn't know about and a story with twist
  • Zaneer568 - April 20, 2012 2:52 p.m.

I very heartily disagree with this. Portal 2 was definetely better than Portal in every possible way. Portal was great for a while, but barely had a coherent storyline, only 1 real charactor, and was just too short! Sure, despite this I do agree it could have one #1 before Portal 2 came out, because of it's innovation, but Portal 2 had all of the same great gameplay mechanics, and an actual storyline, and some of the best voice acting I've ever heard, and yet you guys are saying that it barely holds a candle to Portal! Portal 2 also got a perfect 10 when it first came out, while Portal only got a 9! Sorry if I sound like some sort of "hater", but I am just expressing my opinion, and I'm sure there are many many people that disagree with me. However, I am an avid reader of Gamesradar, and I do agree with most of your opinions.
  • aberkromby - April 20, 2012 3:44 p.m.

The problem with portal 2 is that, in order to find the solution to a puzzle, you often only had to look for the only patch of portal-able surface. As a result, half the game was just figuring out where the hell you were supposed to go. This was not the case with the original portal, where you had to truly work with the environment to find a solution. Plus, GlaDOS's apathy in Portal was much more charming than her apparent hostility in Portal 2. In fact, Cave Johnson sometimes seemed to be a better GlaDOS than GlaDOS herself in Portal 2.
  • PevMaster - April 20, 2012 3:59 p.m.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I completed Portal in less than an hour, and it is certainly not an 'exhilarating' and 'terrifying' game. No you're not a hater, you're right. Portal sucked compared to the second one. And this is a stupid list written by biased writers.
  • KA87 - April 20, 2012 2:47 p.m.

A good list for such a hard topic. You could have added a Pokemon Red or Blue and sports game somewhere, but still a good list.
  • Asmodean - April 20, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Good list as always and #1 is spot on, I'm really starting to get a feel for who is writing which entry. I miss TalkRadar... (T_T)
  • Mezolitik - April 20, 2012 2:36 p.m.

"We couldn’t afford to include more than one example from each series, unless that series evolved substantially." You really ought to have stuck by this rule, instead of immediately contradicting it, then we might've had space for say, Planescape: Torment or Lemmings or Red Alert. I completely disagree with the Portal thing; sure it's a great game, but it was an experiment. And one that was surpassed in every way by Portal 2. We only needed one of them, I think.
  • KnowYourPokemon - April 20, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Just happy to see no CoD games after CoD4 made it.