• g4m3rk1dd - April 20, 2012 3:06 p.m.

totally surprised FF7 didn't make this list.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - April 20, 2012 3:52 p.m.

Warning: As long as I am employed at GR, I will make it my business to keep FFVII off this list
  • Pacific - April 20, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Is it because you didn't cry, and everyone says that you missed out? :)
  • Asmodean - April 21, 2012 11:59 a.m.

No it's because it sucks :P
  • KidJustKid - April 20, 2012 3:05 p.m.

For me, only a few omissions or errors. FF13 - I know, but judging by the amount "This is the essence of the ____ genre of games", I'm surprised this didn't make it as simply 'the ultimate platonic conception of the JRPG". Its flaws are part of its design in that sense. I therefore would have considered it separate from the other FFs which are there for different reasons. FIFA 11 - I'd put this as the most balanced and slick-playing of all FIFAs so far, just edging out either 09 and 2004. You simply cannot ignore something which is essentially open ended, and is simply so enjoyable Chrono Cross - If Chrono Trigger is 3 (which I agree with), CC is about 8. Depends on how tight you define sequel but fair... Mirror's Edge - At least for me, this was a second gateway into intelligent gaming. I missed the boat on story based games on PS2, but this showed me what narratives and 'universe creation' were capable of outside of the basic premise-to-gameplay. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Again depends on if it's sequels in or not, and is you prefer to DE1. Personally, I'd go for HR. Feel free to flame. Age of Mythology - The perfect and most enjoyable RTS ever. No question. Remember, how a community plays a game severely influence how much it fits 'best' in this sense - I challenge you to truly enjoy multiplayer Starcraft. Civ 4 > CiV Ridge Racer (PSP) - Probably the most addictive game I've ever played, and I know one with 4rd most hours invested in it behind CiV, Pokémon Diamond and FF13. Some list to beat though, well done guys. Obvs the American part of GR contributed more, but fair enough. I approve.
  • TheWebSwinger - April 20, 2012 2:54 p.m.

111 page article....what have you become, gamesradar.
  • gavin-butler - April 20, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Can't believe God of War 3 isn't on this list! :(
  • HankVenture - April 20, 2012 4:01 p.m.

God of War was on it instead because it's story was more compelling. TI gave you a character you didn't know about and a story with twist
  • Zaneer568 - April 20, 2012 2:52 p.m.

I very heartily disagree with this. Portal 2 was definetely better than Portal in every possible way. Portal was great for a while, but barely had a coherent storyline, only 1 real charactor, and was just too short! Sure, despite this I do agree it could have one #1 before Portal 2 came out, because of it's innovation, but Portal 2 had all of the same great gameplay mechanics, and an actual storyline, and some of the best voice acting I've ever heard, and yet you guys are saying that it barely holds a candle to Portal! Portal 2 also got a perfect 10 when it first came out, while Portal only got a 9! Sorry if I sound like some sort of "hater", but I am just expressing my opinion, and I'm sure there are many many people that disagree with me. However, I am an avid reader of Gamesradar, and I do agree with most of your opinions.
  • aberkromby - April 20, 2012 3:44 p.m.

The problem with portal 2 is that, in order to find the solution to a puzzle, you often only had to look for the only patch of portal-able surface. As a result, half the game was just figuring out where the hell you were supposed to go. This was not the case with the original portal, where you had to truly work with the environment to find a solution. Plus, GlaDOS's apathy in Portal was much more charming than her apparent hostility in Portal 2. In fact, Cave Johnson sometimes seemed to be a better GlaDOS than GlaDOS herself in Portal 2.
  • PevMaster - April 20, 2012 3:59 p.m.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I completed Portal in less than an hour, and it is certainly not an 'exhilarating' and 'terrifying' game. No you're not a hater, you're right. Portal sucked compared to the second one. And this is a stupid list written by biased writers.
  • KA87 - April 20, 2012 2:47 p.m.

A good list for such a hard topic. You could have added a Pokemon Red or Blue and sports game somewhere, but still a good list.
  • Asmodean - April 20, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Good list as always and #1 is spot on, I'm really starting to get a feel for who is writing which entry. I miss TalkRadar... (T_T)
  • Mezolitik - April 20, 2012 2:36 p.m.

"We couldn’t afford to include more than one example from each series, unless that series evolved substantially." You really ought to have stuck by this rule, instead of immediately contradicting it, then we might've had space for say, Planescape: Torment or Lemmings or Red Alert. I completely disagree with the Portal thing; sure it's a great game, but it was an experiment. And one that was surpassed in every way by Portal 2. We only needed one of them, I think.
  • KnowYourPokemon - April 20, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Just happy to see no CoD games after CoD4 made it.
  • ARCHANGEL309 - April 20, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Goldeneye 007, and not the shitty remake or the shitty remake of the shitty remake, its like Inception or something. Anyway, Goldeneye 007 on the N64 was a benchmark for the FPS genre, and in my opinion, can only be beat by CoD MW which came out a full decade later! I'm sorry GR, I know its challenging making a massive list like this, but Goldeneye was a classic.
  • joerevs300 - April 20, 2012 2:10 p.m.

There's no way on earth FFX, VI and Chrono Trigger should be on here but FFVII is not. FFVII set a standard for RPG's that has stood the test of time, been copied, and on and on. The killing of Aeris for most teenagers that experienced this game was one of the most WTF, moving moments they ever experienced in a game, the various Materia and Weapon options gave you a multitude of ways to go through the game, etc. And yeah, Portal as #1? A HD remake of FFVII would instantly sell 10M copies worldwide, take that to the bank. I mean, for the love of God, it got its own MOVIE spinoff. (And a good one at that, compared to some of the others, hello Super Mario Brothers).
  • sirdilznik - April 20, 2012 2:19 p.m.

FFVI > FFVII and in every way possible outside of graphics. I do agree that FFX doesn't belong on the list though.
  • Redeater - April 20, 2012 3:23 p.m.

You are 100% correct sir. You only missed the FFIV>FFVI. Seriously though it is nice to hear love for the SNES FFs. I would assume a lot of the misplaced love of FFVII has to do with most people not playing the previous games or being very young when the game came out. That's right.....I said it.
  • Larinah - April 20, 2012 3:22 p.m.

Final Fantasy VII was decent, but I have to disagree with even mentioning it in the same sentence as Chrono Trigger. It may have has customization but I would personally much rather enjoy my time with less customization than feel like I'm plodding through a game which should have ended 2 discs ago... Don't get me wrong, FFVII was pretty good, but it's definitely not as great as many people say imo.
  • BladedFalcon - April 20, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Aaaand let the whining and arguing continue! I still don't get why this pisses people off so much. It's the list of games GR likes and thinks that they deserve to be here. OF COURSE anyone's bound to disagree with some of the picks. But whining and making it sound like YOUR opinion is right and absolute only makes you look like a self entitled wanker. Then again, this is the Internet, i guess I shouldn't be surprised... doesn't make me any less annoyed though. Also, still need to properly read the entire list, but I'm glad to see Journey made it! ^^
  • The_Boz - April 20, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Brings back many memories, but lists like this are always down to preferential tastes. Personally I hate Tomb Raider and would not have one of those games in the top 1000 as they are just over rated platformers that had to use large breasts to first get noticed. Lists like this do forget many platforms and many games from the late 80s and early 90s are missed out. Doom 2 has to be in my top 10, no other game has got it's ambience, and I think the graphics actually contribute to that as it did for many games of that era because, although the graphics were good, they were blocky and the gamer still had to use his imagination in his head to create that game's universe more so than modern day clinical graphics. Many ommission which have been important on many platforms which should have been included are... Road Rash 2 Street Fighter 2 because all others are just an expansion of that original game on the SNES or the Arcade by adding the odd character here and there and improve the graphics but not it's soul. It is like rating Unreal because of all the MODS that have been added since it's release. FIFA (insert year) Come on, how was this left out? NHL Hockey and Madden Football always do well in the reviews. Creatures 2 on the C64 - Maybe the person to create this list needs to be introduced to this cute gorefest. Forza 3 or 4 - Arguably the definitive racing sim. Geoff Crammond's original Formula 1, wake up Gamesradar Staff. Sam and Max Tie Fighter or X-Wing Theme Park or Theme Hospital were both much more fun than The Sims 3 Elite Wing Commander Football Manager (insert year) Championship Manager Sensible Soccer Myth (C64 Version) Last Ninja 3 Populous Pitfall I am sorry, but looking at the list it does make me wonder how knowledgeable the Gamesradar staff really are with computer gaming and their experience. Did they learn in a classroom or did they grow up with real computer gaming. What I would love to see is the top 100 best selling games and that is counting sequels etc as seperate entities.
  • robinkurosaki - April 20, 2012 1:53 p.m.

once again games radar, you have ruined the whole integrity of the list by putting portal 1st. get over it please....