• Jcookie11 - December 29, 2012 11:05 a.m.

I'm loving this article. Thanks to everybody at GR, but I have just one query. I was hoping the portal series would be near the top of the list, which is great, however on Portal 2 (number 22) you write that Portal 2 is better than the first one, although the first one is top of the list at number 1... Is this solely because it was the original, that it's ranked higher? or because this list has multiple writers?
  • Prequel - December 29, 2012 11:10 p.m.

No Half Life 1, Mass Effect 1-3, Max Payne 1-2, Modern Warfare 1-2, Assassin's Creed 1, Fahrenheit, Dragon Age: Origins etc. Right.
  • Phoenix7540 - January 3, 2013 9:44 a.m.

final fantisy x (worst ff in the series) is listed final fantisy VII isn't listed Zelda Twilight princess is listed ocarina of time/majora's mask aren't listed Halo 3 is listed halo 4/reach aren't Skyrim is listed but its superior (oblivion) isn't a cod game is listed (i have a problem with that in general) Melee is listed (good you got something right melee>brawl) I don't think the maker of this list knows what he is talking about
  • beaktastic - January 3, 2013 4:35 p.m.

I agree with most of the top half of the list. Think Mario Kart 7 should be higher, and OoT and Majora's Mask should be somewhere too. Not sure Portal should be game number 1... It's a great game, I love it but not sure it's number 1. Also, where's Shenmue!? Anyone who played it on DreamCast or the Xbox port should know of it's cult awesomeness. Kinda pleased FFVII isn't listed as the best of the Final Fantasies as I don't think it is (personally, my favourite is IX but I'm not saying it's the best of them all) but I do think it should be here somewhere. Some weird games on here too that I think shouldn't be (Hot Golf!? wtf?) and some missing.
  • ev1lm0nkey87 - January 29, 2013 4:03 a.m.

FFIX is also my favorite FF game. I also agree with you about Zelda. I never played Shenmue, so I can't say about it. All I'm wondering is where is Legend of Dragoon. One of the best RPGs ever made. Also can't believe Grand Theft Auto IV was so high on the list. One of the worst games I've ever played. Couldn't get halfway through it. No way should Portal have been number one. Great game, just not that great.
  • clbgrdnr - January 5, 2013 12:51 a.m.

Glover should obviously be #1 on this list... I mean the character development, graphics, and storyline far surpass anything else made in the year 2013.
  • TristanT34 - January 5, 2013 10:21 a.m.

I think we are forgeting with all this cod hate is that fundamentaly MW was a good game, the main complaint i have is with the newer cod comunity, the hords of squieky children and foul mouthed loners that poulate its games, true enough that isnt the whole population but it is the majority. the game its self was revalotionary and the multyplayer, fantastic and when playing with friends a real blast. since then it as gon down hill. although the first black ops (havent played 2 yet) was a welcome bit of colour compaired to the gray, washed out enviroment in the MW games, and it had a fun campain and a better (less campers multyplayer.
  • needles - January 8, 2013 2:53 p.m.

I thought black ops was the worst one I like MW2 and MW1 much better.
  • blaze-sportelli - January 9, 2013 1:34 p.m.

this list is outragous.
  • Reubenguy - January 12, 2013 8:55 p.m.

I think this is a great list, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks GR (I wonder if Deus Ex:Human Revolution now replaces the original in this list)
  • dario-salvatore-johansson - February 2, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Surprised MGS4 didn't make an appearance on this list. that game absolutely blew me away in pretty much every department. If I had my way it would easily make the top10. Portal - number 1.... NO, just no. Pokemon blue/red/yellow should replace white/black Not sure how Skyrim can be placed on a list of the greatest games when it crashed in what felt like every 10 minutes. Oblivion should take its place. Perhaps even Morrowind. GTA4 was terrible in comparison to San Andreas and Vice City. They are both classics. (I would place VC higher than SA but thats just my opinion.) However the bigger problem is the lack of such classics like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Zelda OOF and several others already mentioned. I still play Crash Bandicoot to this day and it never fails to make me and my friends/family smile when they play.
  • game_over - February 7, 2013 8:34 p.m.

to each their own? I definitely did stop to think about a couple of games which didn't make this list. Also, I would have wanted a few of the listed games to have made a better mark.
  • rankonebaddie - February 8, 2013 11:07 p.m.

FINALLY! SOMEONE APPRECIATES WINDWAKER FOR MORE THEN JUST A BAD CARTOON ZELDA GAME! Windwaker is by far the best Zelda game in the series in my opinion. The number one was pretty ridiculous though. Portal really isn't that good.
  • angeline-mckew - February 11, 2013 5:31 p.m.

really happy with alot that was included but skyrim is only 30?? REALLY?!! that game is so beautiful and a way of life, and where the hell is ocarina of time????!!!!!!! but alot of good choices :) just some of them should be higher :( metal gear solid and kingdom hearts were classic and should have been higher :(
  • Triscuitable - February 15, 2013 10:29 a.m.

GR chooses games based on the most recent or best entries. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess were very linear Zelda games. Not terrible, but not as beautiful, varied, or interesting as The Wind Waker. Besides OOT wasn't on the original list, either. Because it's not good by the standards of today. There's a difference between quality and nostalgia, and you're confusing the two.
  • Triscuitable - February 15, 2013 10:27 a.m.

To all you imbeciles who think games like Ocarina of Time and such should be on this list, go back and listen to TalkRadar's Top 100 special. It details exactly why they chose to pick the latest games in a series instead of the "best" games (it's called nostalgia, not quality). Besides, Portal deserves to be #1 because it works. It's of the perfect length, with perfect balance in its mechanics to create a truly unique experience that no other game has bothered to try. Portal is its own game. Portal is unique. Portal is clever. Portal makes you feel accomplished. Portal is the best.
  • shawksta - February 15, 2013 10:30 a.m.

AAAAH THE COMMENT SECTION, MORE ENTERTAINING THAN THE ARTICLE ITSELF
  • Clovin64 - February 15, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Maybe I missed it, but I can't see Dark Souls here. Fair enough, I'm only 20 hours into it and I've got loads left to get through, but what I've played so far was fantastic.
  • BladedFalcon - February 15, 2013 10:34 a.m.

it's number 20...
  • Clovin64 - February 15, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Ah, there it is :P