• larkan - October 14, 2013 10:02 a.m.

Wow, Bayonetta is on the list, which is just a female version of Dante, yet no Commander Shepard? What about Gabriel Belmont? What about Adam Jensen? Lara Croft from the reboot? Elizabeth from Infinite?
  • Redeater - October 13, 2013 9:58 a.m.

"Kaim Argonar" His tramp stamp revealing armor and awful hair was his undoing for me. Well that Connor from AC3 would look like Nathan Drake if he was set next to Kaim......
  • MrPkhead - October 13, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Only other Mass Effect character I'd have had to include was Tali'Zorah. You didn't always agree with her motivations but you could always understand them. And there was something really rewarding about getting to know her through the layers of guardedness. She was fiercely loyal. I think Bonnie from Red Dead Redemption deserves an honourable mention for being so proud, businesslike and likeable. And another for Scolar Visari, a memorable lunatic with the strength of his convictions.
  • Clovin64 - October 13, 2013 7:04 a.m.

I heavily agree with some choices on this list (wuv yoo Garrus!) and disagree with others (surely Ellie and Sully should be higher?). I'm gonna go ahead and give recommendations to new Lara from the Tomb Raider reboot, new Dante from the DMC reboot and good ol' Sazh from FFXIII.
  • Lycanthrokeith - October 12, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Just my opinion of course, but how about Phoenix Wright?
  • remyniss - October 12, 2013 10:37 p.m.

I'm normally not very opinionated about these countdowns, but my god having Ellie at 38 is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. You have Ellie from The last of Us behind some of your typical generic video game characters. Naughty Dog makes some of the best characters and they hire quality actors. Their characters and actors make most games look like garbage. Ellie and Joel are easily the most memorable characters I have ever been able to play in a video game. Naughty Dog gave me what I have always wanted from a video game. Movie quality characters, acting, and story. Although I forget, I'm a unique male who enjoys stories with emotion and great meaning, and one that doesn't have your typical male driven nonsense. The best aspect of Naughty Dog games is their respect for female characters. They don't make their female characters partially clothed or overly stupid and slutty, and I applaud them for it.
  • SpaceOdysseus - October 12, 2013 6:38 p.m.

You're getting quite a bit of hate for this list, but I suppose that's normal. Anyway, I'd like to counter that by saying I really liked the list. I don't think it was necessary to put EVERY portal character on the list, but hey. Gamings not famous for its storytelling, so you're digging through an unfortunately shallow pool. Still it would have been nice to see a Kentucky Route Zero character on here. All in all, I'm just really happy Samantha Greenbriar is on the list. There's an extremely short list of games that will make me cry. Gone Home was on there.
  • KnightDehumidifier - October 12, 2013 3:32 p.m.

So this generation's best video game characters according to the top ten are either robots with copious amounts of witticism, existentialist believers and analysts, and just dudes who kill dudes.
  • TheGooseinator - October 12, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Could u guys do a Radioradar podcast on this? The top 100 heroes is still one of my favorites, and I'd love to hear that type of discussion again.
  • DaemonD1 - October 12, 2013 10:46 a.m.

I enjoyed this - mostly - impartial list, right up to the point where I read the words 'Glados - Portal'. Seriously, guys, you're beginning to sound like a broken record. Was Portal really that immense that some aspect of it simply MUST top every 'Top...' list you create? I'm sorry, but having played Portal and part of Portal 2, I can say it was enjoyable but it's kind of a one trick pony, don't you think? But no, you clearly don't as every time I see a list on this site related to games, I just know that something Portal-related will be at the top. Utter tedium.
  • Grivien - October 12, 2013 5:52 a.m.

What a load of lazy garbage! That pathetic list was made up of some of the most boring, generic, and crap, characters ever made. There are little to no interesting ones, just boring, generic or atrocious ones. Those ugly twats from the last of us don't deserve to be mentioned positively ANYWERE! They don't even look like game characters! They look like miserable borefests, who'd rather kill themselves than be in the game! Booker dewitts absolutely pointless, very generic, and dead! And you picked firetrucking ALISTAIR?! ALISTAIR! THAT FIRETRUCKING WHINEY PANSY WHO STINKS UP DRAGON AGE ORIGINS! When you could have picked almost anyone else from that game, and they would have been better! When you've Morrighan, Zevran, Shale, Sten, as options?! FFS! Why the hell is'nt older Nier, Kaine, Emil, Grimoire Weiss, from Drakengard and NIER, there?! They're awesome and very unique. They are some of the most unique and awesome characters ever made! Or Nathan Hale. He's awesome and unique. You've got a make your own character one there, who does'nt even go! You just got the most boring and generic and atrocious, from some of the most overhyped, overated games, etc, and did'nt even try to find or look at games that were good or less well known! And what the hell is this love for Nathan Drake?! He's extremely generic and boring. He does'nt even have the smallest of unique features, unlike the similer, Lara Croft. Old Lara Croft, that is. The new ones a emo whiner. He's got less personality than a blank wall!
  • Flashinthepan - October 12, 2013 10:14 p.m.

You say 'generic, boring and atrocious' quite a lot. I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.
  • DarthPunk - October 12, 2013 2:14 a.m.

I like how it looks like Alan Wake and Ellie are pointing their guns at eachother
  • dangomushi - October 12, 2013 1:35 a.m.

Uhhhhhhh where's Lightning?!?!!
  • rigbybot127 - October 12, 2013 2:06 a.m.

or Niko Bellic?!
  • rigbybot127 - October 12, 2013 1:25 a.m.

Wheatley's the best damn character of all-time, let alone this generation. Superb list, I must say.
  • mafyooz - October 11, 2013 11:32 p.m.

I would have put Bulletstorm's General Sarrano in here just because his dialogue cracks me up. There's a place in games for deep narrative and introspection, but there's also a place for gratuitous, over-the-top swearing and elaborate insults :)
  • slimjim441 - October 11, 2013 10:55 p.m.

Sweet list, bro. Oh yeah, Gabriel Belmont.
  • Vonter - October 11, 2013 9:04 p.m.

Curious how it was mainly realistic design humans. I know and like them but I don't think it's visually interesting or diverse compared to previous generations. But I understand because they did become deeper and with more layers. Still I hope this new gen we could have more anthromorphic, alien (non humanoid), and mythical beings on the update of this list.
  • taokaka - October 11, 2013 9:04 p.m.

On the whole I find this list hard to argue with, I only have a couple of arguments such as Cole Mcgrath should be replaced with zeke who was the real star of infamous 2 (although he was completely unlikable in the first game). Also switching the position of Sully with Nathan Drake. I have a few ideas for who else could make the list but I'll just argue my number one choice of who deserves to be on this list, Pascal from tales of graces f. The rest of the cast I found unlikable or were just a tad generic but Pascal is possibly one of the greatest characters ever. Every scene she was in she managed to make funny and her character really played with my expectations. At first I thought she was just another crazy girl who was as bright as a wet match but as the story unraveled we discover she's possibly the smartest character there and when I stopped to consider the journey that the characters took I realized that without her the heroes would have been stuck on so many occasions without her unique skills.