• bigwill1221 - April 29, 2014 2:30 p.m.

Wonder about some books >.>
  • SirManguydude - April 29, 2014 3:42 p.m.

The EU books have always been non-canon. George Lucas stated that long ago. Though he also explicitly said that any Star Wars game he signed off on(So all that bear the LucasArt Name) were considered Canon.
  • Kermit1970 - April 30, 2014 1:36 a.m.

Therein lies the problem. If we find Han and Leia are married then some of the books at least have to be Canon, same as if Jacen and Jaina Solo appear in the films as well.
  • mothbanquet - April 30, 2014 9:14 a.m.

Poor Karen Traviss. Her Mandalorian lore was a bazillion times better than anything 'official'.
  • g1rldraco7 - April 29, 2014 1:21 p.m.

If Greg was here, he would be crying :(
  • rainn'sgaydar - April 29, 2014 12:38 p.m.

I really dread seeing poor R2-D2 become a baby in 7-9. As his technology continues to dip and he loses even more funct... Wait, what? He's NOT a metaphor for Benjamin Button? Sad to see KotOR lose its canon status though. I did love believing that story was a part of that universe's history.
  • PhantomPineapple - April 29, 2014 5:56 p.m.

Since the new movies don't happen in the same time period, i think KOTOR is safe canon still.
  • rainn'sgaydar - April 29, 2014 6:37 p.m.

My understanding is that they disposed of all non-movie canon. Is that not the case?
  • PhantomPineapple - April 30, 2014 1:59 p.m.

They did. But how much will a "future" movie be affected by an event that happened hundreds years earlier? Beyond changing Korribans name... Plus canon doesnt matter. look at all the great superhero content thats not canon.
  • rainn'sgaydar - April 30, 2014 2:22 p.m.

None, but like I said, I liked knowing that it counted. It's not that huge of a deal to me. Just kind of an "Ah man, that sucks. I liked that thing."
  • GoldenEagle1476 - April 29, 2014 11:50 a.m.

They're probably doing this so they can do whatever the fuck they want with episodes 7-9. Luke never set up the academy on Yavin, Kyle Katarn is now the main antagonist, and Jar Jar Binks will emerge as the lord and savior of the galaxy. Calling it now.
  • LordZarlon - April 29, 2014 10:38 a.m.

I disagree with the article when discussing games based on the prequel trilogy. You may not have liked the prequel movies but, I loved Star Wars Star Fighter(PS2), Jedi Star Fighter(PS2), Episode One Racer(N64) and Republic Commando(Xbox). The prequel levels in Battlefront 1 and 2 were good also. If somebody wanted to do "What If" scenarios with some of the Expanded Universe stuff then what's stopping them. I understand that Lucasfilm stated that they wanted to focus on the movies, primarily, but that doesn't mean in time that they won't allow other games to be made.
  • PhantomPineapple - April 29, 2014 10:28 a.m.

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html Don't freak out. The article title makes this sound a bit worse than it actually is. My only question is whether the Star Wars Universe will keep the brutality I have come to enjoy from the franchise. I don't want a children's series...
  • Hylian101 - April 29, 2014 8:42 a.m.

At first I was anoyed that my extensive Star Wars canon knowledge was no longer relevant, but this is ore than likely going to be a good thing. They still have the same creative teams responsible for a lot of the good parts of the Expanded Universe, and the terrible parts (of which there are ore than a fair few) are no longer canon. There's also the fact that they've said inspiration can indeed be drawn from the Expanded Universe for the new canon. It's essentially a comic book relaunch, hopefully one handled correctly. Imagine, Thrawn could still be canon, and probably will be, being so popular, but all the "superweapon of the week" stories no longer happen, none of the terrible character development from multiple authors writing the same series, basically excising all the parts everyone (including EU fanboys like me) hates about the EU. And the fact that The Clone Wars is just as canon as the films is a good thing, because that series knew how to do Star Wars, far better than the prequel trilogy ever did. Then there's the fact that from here on out, everything's canon. So, if a new game featuring Kyle Katarn happens, it officially happened, it's not a level of canon that could be disregarded by executive decisions on other projects. The EU will now be internally consistent with all of this. Really, if they don't absolutely royally fuck it up, this can only be a good thing.
  • Desann - April 29, 2014 8:40 a.m.

I don't know, did anyone expect them to research everything that happened in every book, every comic and every game to make absolutely sure they weren't going to contradict their stories? The authors of the books and comics and games didn't even do that. I just think it's weird of them to make an announcement saying they're not going to worry about stepping on the Expanded Universe's toes. George didn't make that announcement before he made the prequels, and he stepped on quite a few with those. We've always known that the movies take precedence whenever there's a contradiction, and that's still the way it will be going forward. They can say that Knights of the Old Republic never happened in the canon, but as long as the new movies don't say "There was never a Darth Revan," then it did happen, just like everything else in the Expanded Universe that isn't directly contradicted by the new movies. Same as before, announcement or not. Nothing has changed.
  • Sinosaur - April 29, 2014 8:17 a.m.

Considering that Star Trek never made me feel like J.J. Abrahms had what it took to make a great Star Wars film and the fact that I like a lot of parts of the EU more than half of what's left in official canon, I'm just going to keep going with not caring about official canon. Hopefully the new Star Wars movies are good, but I've still got the universe I fell in love with.
  • RushLight - April 29, 2014 8:15 a.m.

I'd like to point out that this article is horribly misinformed. Lucas had nothing to do with this decision, it was the new team at Disney who made this decision so the creative team of Episodes VII-IX could have complete creative freedom, Lucas really doesn't have anything to do with the franchise anymore.
  • MeanwhileGuy - April 29, 2014 7:14 a.m.

So basically Disney and LucasFilm are jamming their fingers in their ears and going "La la la la not listening", while branding great works like the Thrawn trilogy, KOTOR, Dark Forces I and II, the Jedi Knight trilogy, the Yuuzhan Vong series (bits of it), countless comic books and memorable characters like Mara Jade as non-canon. Way to slap your fans in the face and invalidate decades of work that expanded the universe and mythology, and built some great stuff out of George Lucas' decidedly ropey storytelling.
  • Pruman - April 29, 2014 5:55 a.m.

Two things: 1) You can't blame Lucas because he has nothing to do with Star Wars anymore, since he sold the company to Disney. I think he has a consulting role on Episodes 7 through 9, but they're under no obligation to follow his advice. This is a good thing. 2) The main reason this is happening is so the writers of 7-9 don't have to be shackled by the Expanded Universe. I have NO problem with this, even as a die-hard Star Wars fanboy, because I'm of the opinion that the entirety of the EU is a shining example of Sturgeon's Law. Sure, everybody likes the Thrawn books and TIE Fighter/KOTOR, but is anything other than those at all memorable? I would argue that only the three Tales books (from the Cantina, of the Bounty Hunters, from Jabba's Palace) and Shadows of the Empire are. People getting bent out of shape over this really ought to go home and rethink their life. IT'S A FICTIONAL UNIVERSE. Who cares what fictional things are fictionally true or not?
  • BladedFalcon - April 29, 2014 5:38 a.m.

*shrugs* I'm not that upset about this. The expanded universe and games were a mess anyway. Also, I don't see the "smart" about the Force Unleashed games in terms of plot, specially with the second one. Lastly... Hartup keeps mentioning and blaming Lucas himself for this choice... But wasn't part of the Disney adquicisition that he no longer had control aside from just a consultant role?
  • Temperance11 - April 29, 2014 5:16 a.m.

WAIT! For the sake of double posting, wasn't a huge marketing aspect of "The Force Unleashed" the fact that George Lucas signed off on it as canon?