• natasha-lewis - February 5, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Well, I am SO sorry for being fat and a gamer girl. I should've known I can't be both at the same time our you would have to deal with the mild annoyance of being stereotyped! BTW, I maybe fat, but I'm not grotesque, and I also take showers. And I typically don't lose my controller in my fat folds. Nice try at dehumanizing fat girls though.
  • XenaZon - April 9, 2014 7:44 p.m.

When I read that part, I inwardly cringed. I'm really thin, so I can't claim to know how you feel, but I do know how disappointed I am when that kind of value judgment comes from another woman. It's bad enough when guys objectify us, but it's twice as bad coming from someone who should know better. I wanted to say I'm sorry that happened. We should be much more careful and sensitive. Ironically - this is about how female gamers are treated, and here you are being shamed for your body size. I was given twice the brains and only half the looks - so I've was never a member of the popular crowd. Kudos for your courage. <3
  • The_Six_Million_Dollar_Taco - July 10, 2014 1:38 a.m.

Yeah I didn't like that part either. It made me mad when I read that. She shouldn't have put that. It was kinda a dick move.
  • mtRoom - January 14, 2014 10:21 p.m.

Oh and when I said "'I'm sure it's the same for them", I was referring to the vast majority of female gamers not being attracted to male gamers.
  • mtRoom - January 14, 2014 10:12 p.m.

Personally, I couldn't give a shit whether another gamer is female, male, intersex, or an extraterrestrial from planet XZZYZYX. I'm there for the game, that's it. In truth, the idea of a female gamer doesn't attract me anyway. And I'm sure it's the same for them (well the vast majority). That said, men will be men (or should I say boys will be boys) and there isn't anything anyone can do to change that; so 'feminine' usernames, posting selfie photos of yourself, it doesn't take a genius to know it's going to attract attention from a male audience. But I think being scared to go into a videogame store is a little ridiculous though. I went to my local EB-Games the other day and not only was I served by a female attendant, but she was nerdier than me. "You want to buy this awesome giant action-figure of Sam Fisher! I think it's really cool!" Um. It's a toy. It's a giant piece of plastic moulded into the shape of a human being. Jesus...
  • Smegskull - January 8, 2014 3:07 p.m.

"We wanna play the damn game, not hook up with you, kthx. Want a hook-up? Go to…" where? as you said you don't where it on your sleeves so other than in the game where are we supposed to look for a real girl gamer? I ask guys I meet in games to add me so we can hang out and play other games (as I am sure normal guys do with guys they meet in pubs), so why is it wrong for me to ask a girls I meet in game out (as I am sure normal guys do with girls they meet in pubs)? (pubs do ladies night, maybe you can get a ladies server)! you can't have your cake and eat it too, or be a "stealthy ninja" and complain whenever anyone makes a big deal about finding you.
  • juliec - December 7, 2013 12:38 p.m.

I see a lot of the validity in this article based on my research. I have written a few papers on it for my degree. I'm actually doing research on female gamers, and have a survey out now. Here is a direct link if anyone would like to help out: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/110MT75V56qctswAvUIrJgr_7A950TQ19AhDL5xCuSMg/edit
  • cuzimbetterthanyou - November 26, 2013 8:15 a.m.

#7 tells you're obviously an idiot. Litterally ALL the girl gamers I know and have talked to online don't give a shit about the "sexualisation" of the female outfits. Your credibility = 0
  • Liquidacid - December 24, 2013 6:29 p.m.

and I know a ton of girls who do... my anecdote your anecdote... lol come on at least try to make a half way intelligent comment
  • alysia-christina-raine - February 9, 2014 5:42 a.m.

I'm a female gamer and I have a big problem with the fucking stupid, skimpy outfits many female game characters wear. It's just ridiculous. So, you're argument is no longer valid...sorry
  • XenaZon - April 9, 2014 7:20 p.m.

Great topic!! I hope it's OK to add my two cents... First, this is my own thing, I know. But as a 55 year old woman gamer, I am not a GIRL. Apologies, but, to me a girl is a 12 year old child. I really resent being patronized and referring to me as girl is a great way to start. Next, I will never understand why choosing to play an action game means I am going to be put on a battlefield wearing two band aids and a cork. Add to that the assignment of a pair of breasts so large I'd need reduction surgery in real life. REALLY, developers, it's nothing short of disgusting that a THONG should buff up my HP's more than real armor. And the more objectifying the article of clothing, the more powerful it is. Meanwhile, I never see male players being forced to appear dressed like sumo warriors. Really annoying! Equally annoying are the "girls" playing who have no clue what I'm talking about when I mention I hate being made to feel like a plaything. Sexism? What sexism? (Giggle, giggle...) They don't mind waging war in a bikini! Enraging are the idiots like the one who made the comment: "Litterally ALL the girl gamers I know and have talked to online don't give a shit about the "sexualisation" of the female outfits." The stupidity of the comment proves my point. Another thing that grates are the constant comments like "he's a fag" or "that sword is so gay..." Are guys that insecure in their own sexuality that they feel they constantly have to showcase their testosterone levels??? Let me add - I agree with all of your points. Thanks so much for writing this, but the people who need to get the message WON'T and the people who already know this aren't the problem. Isn't that just like life???
  • The_Six_Million_Dollar_Taco - July 10, 2014 1:29 a.m.

Lemme explain. This generation has really turned the words gay and fag into something else. They really are just another generalized insult, not a homophobic one. Some people might use it in that term, but it's really just a derogatory term used the same as stupid, or dumb, or something like that. I agree with your sexism part. But that's really only in the big company games, that normally are shit, and have like zero play time, but now I'm just ranting. I have something against Call of Duty and every EA game after 2010. But yeah all that skimpy stuff is bad. Now this has really not even become about you and I have to stop typing. I really can't stop typing. Also you sound cool tell me your steam username.
  • XenaZon - April 9, 2014 7:26 p.m.

Anyone who is an asshat enough to choose that username telegraphs to the world you are an egomaniac. Your commenting (as a guy) that women gamers don't mind being made to feel like objects is about as lame as my saying, as a white woman, there is no such thing as racism anymore. Considering your attitude, you're getting the answer you are getting from women gamers bc they are BLOWING YOU OFF, fool!
  • XenaZon - April 9, 2014 7:36 p.m.

• malik-moses - August 21, 2013 5:01 a.m.

she said, "Great, you met a girl who plays videogames – now you can ALWAYS talk about videogames with her! False. Just because we share a common interest doesn’t mean we don’t have other interests, too, and we know you also have other interests." But bitch no one cares about whatever you think about and you interest, yeah, girl gamers are attractive, but dont say we lose our shit when it breaks out all over town, yay there is a girl gamer, lets try to fuck her while shes playing video games, thats sounds awesome
  • michael-ormanzhi - August 14, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I remember playing Halo CE and there was a girl who was better than any of the guys on the map. There wasn't even testosterone to defeat her. I only managed to kill her about...twice in the entire round. It's moments like those that are amusing, because there were a few jealous male gamers who were put to shame every single time. xD http://gamingorigins.com/
  • patrick-j-kroon - June 5, 2013 6:19 a.m.

I think its awesome if a girl plays a game. I don't care who plays a game or if you are good or bad or what type of game you play. Girls can be just as good as man or even way better. Should be awesome if i run into a girlfriend that likes playing games :).
  • Alexxia - May 30, 2013 3:16 a.m.

Its sort of annoying that some of the guys are replying by saying well as long as she's good its cool by me. WELL so what if she isn't good. I know I am really crappy at 1st person shooters but I still love paying them <3 It shouldn't really matter if we are better than you or not everyone has a right to play a game if they want to. And there are even some sexist girls online. I was playing cod one night and there was this chick in a clan with a lot of strong guy players and she found out i was a girl from my gamer tag and shes like well I bet your just an attention whore who's a fat slu* like all of the chicks online and I was laughing because I've heard that from tons of other guys but when she said that she rolled herself coz shes a chick too so she must be a fate whore :/ awks but anyway just settle down if a girl is in the lobby and dont be an ass
  • steven-corbin - July 28, 2013 1:20 p.m.

i agree with you, whenever i play Black ops 1 and or 2, and i see a girl in the game, I'm like the only one who doesn't go crazy and bothers her. But also, unlike most men who say "well as long as she's good its cool by me", I really could care less about her skills and skill level and wether she is good or bad, if we start to talk and hang out in the game, then I'm happy because it just gives me someone new to talk to and hang out with. That's why I tend to feel bad for the gaming girls, they can't seem to be able to join and play a game without being verbally attacked by the rest of the guys in the game (and once in a while a girl who thinks she's cool and tuff just because she's in a group). If i find out that there is a girl in the game, I just leave her be (unless she talks to me or a friend of mine). i'm one of the VERY few men on xbox live that usually try to back the women in the game at the time. But, whenever i DO talk to a girl in a game, i give her the option to be xbox friends (yes or no) and to play on other game levels too (also a yes or no). and i just go with their answer they give me without arguing.
  • Void-Echo - May 24, 2013 11:13 p.m.

I never care about there being a girl in the same lobby as me, if she can kill the enemy then fie by me, if shes on the enemy team, il pull the trigger aiming at here like I aim at everyone else, I make no exceptions for anything, if your in my way, il make sure you die regardless of gender, everyone bleeds the same and dies the same.
  • DarknessFisT - March 25, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Boy, girl who gives a shit, all that matters he or she knows how to play and can provide a challenge and as for ( we don't always talk about videogames or stupid female character outfits) type of girls... well there is only one thing left to say, go back to the kitchen. I mean well wtf do you want to talk about how was shopping? And what do these so called gamer girls have to deal with everyday, well if you didn't put a picture of yourself showing your tits and then going oh I'm here to play not to show my tits or to find a bf. P.S. If any of you think that what I just said is incorrect or that my views are (I don't know) upsetting someone, well you can always start a never ending argument that I will never reply to and even if I do 10 others will join and start getting religion and other stuff in and 10 minutes later we'll be talking about Justin Bieber and Illuminati, so please just read this, have a laugh and think of something else to say.