• Zzombie99 - January 27, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Young Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts 3D. Eff that guy with a cactus.
  • sweetchiliheat - January 27, 2014 1:36 p.m.

As in the 2nd last boss? Yeah. That was toughie. Took me a few hours to finish him off.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - January 27, 2014 1:31 p.m.

I don't remember any particularly difficult bosses in The World Ends With You, I only remember Neku complaining a lot and being emo. A boss that made me ragequit was Bowletta from the first mario & luigi, fuck her
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 2:10 p.m.

You obviously didn't play even a third of the game then. Neku is only a emo pain in the ass on the first third of the game. By the time the first act finishes he improves considerably, and by the end he's anything but angsty or emo.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - January 27, 2014 2:57 p.m.

I finished it, you stop using shiki and start using another unlikeable character, who turns out to be the final boss or something, obviously i played it, but neku being emo is what i remember
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 4:37 p.m.

And then you partner with another character before the end. *Shrugs* I can't change your mind, obviously, but unlike other RPGs, Neku's attitude felt fine to me because I detected that THE POINT was to make him start out emo and have him evolve from that. But if even then you didn't like it, then it just wasn't a story for you. That's fair.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - January 27, 2014 4:57 p.m.

I get your point, I guess the character types were not for me, but I finished it because I liked the pin system, music and art :)
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 5:09 p.m.

Yeah, it helps the game did a LOT of good things right, so even if you're not a fan of one thing, the rest can carry it for you ^^
  • Pruman - January 27, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Pfft. I beat Ruby Weapon by spamming Knights of Round. For some reason, the amount of damage he dealt to my Cloud went down the more I damaged him. Not sure if this is supposed to happen or a bug because I was using the Ultima Weapon, but I won eventually.
  • Sinosaur - January 27, 2014 1:01 p.m.

I find it weird that I beat two of the bosses on this list and they're probably from the most obscure games: Legend of Legaia and Suikoden 2. Never managed to beat either Ruby or Emerald Weapon in FF7 (I think I reached the point where I was fed up and simply wanted to see the rest of the story instead of collecting shit that doesn't matter) and FF8 I was done with on Disc 3. Legend of Legaia is one of those games I have very fond memories of, although I can barely remember the fight against Gaza, but I do remember being completely shocked when one of the characters called him a "bastard." I never expected to hear bad language in my RPGs (which is weird, because I'd played FF7 before Legend of Legaia).
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 27, 2014 3:38 p.m.

Legend of Legaia is so good :D
  • Talvari - January 27, 2014 1 p.m.

God damn Yiazmat from ff12 is one I would personally add to this list ;_; 50 million HP and attacks that have 5% chance of inflicting instant death and can combo a ridiculous amount of times..Sure you could leave the arena and come back anytime and Yiazmats health bar would remain the same but regardless you could get unlucky and get all 3 characters killed with instant deaths :| The battle also gets harder the more health he loses and killing it in under 2 hours is considered really fast.. Maybe i'm just salty i could never be bothered to beat that boss though because of how boring and BS it is. Definitely fits the overpowered category!
  • SpadesSlick - January 27, 2014 12:57 p.m.

Ornstein and Smough are really fucking obnoxious yes, but the 4 kings on ng+ were the bane of my existence. I quit the game for 3 months after trying dozens of times to beat them before finally succeeding. I would disagree with Sephiroth as he isn't even the hardest Kingdom Hearts boss. That is without a doubt the mysterious figure from Birth By Sleep. A boss that turns invisible, has a combo that can kill you without you doing anything if you are unlucky, and fucking heals himself. He is almost impossible to defeat no matter your level.
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 2:08 p.m.

Regarding the 4 kings, have you tried fighting them using the allied NPC ghost you can summon if you're alive? That definitely makes a WORLD of difference in at the very least keeping them long enough from your back so you can kill one or 2 of them before they can overwhelm you. I didn't play Birth by Sleep, but I HAVE heard that he's nigh impossible to beat, and that he uses all those cheap moves you described.
  • SpadesSlick - January 27, 2014 2:25 p.m.

I finally managed to win by summoning one of the allied ghosts and just going to town on them with a crystal magic enchanted sword and spamming soul arrows. The thing that just sucks about that is that you have to be unrelenting or more kings just spawn and you are hopelessly fucked. If you want to see how retardedly difficult the mysterious figure is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_BGRcSCq2o. He is just on a whole other level compared to anyone else in the game.
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 4:34 p.m.

Oh, I know, I wasn't really defending the boss fight itself. Honestly I actually HATE the 4 kings boss fight, whereas I actually LOVE Ornstein & Smoug despite being so hard. Since I feel Ornstein & Smoug are hard yes, but it's also a very well designed fight that you feel it's actually enjoyable once you learn how to deal with your attackers. Whereas the 4 Kings just aren't fun to fight at all, even when you know how to deal with them, because as you said, the only good way of doing it is to essentially bum rush them and kill them quickly before the rest appears. That's not a fun way to fight a boss, it's horrible, so I do feel your pain. ...Yeah, that boss is retarded in how unfair it is. Reminded of of Shao Khan from MK9 in terms of how fucking cheap it is and that it plain and simple just cheats and breaks the game's own rules. That's the worst kind of artificial difficulty that can be, I believe.
  • SpadesSlick - January 27, 2014 7:43 p.m.

I agree completely with that. I actually felt that the Ornstein and Smough fight was enhanced by the NG+ mode simply because you had to go for the other soul that you didn't get in your regular playthrough, letting you experience both battles in a way that was natural. The four kings fight was just the opposite of that. Not to even mention the fact that even if you killed 3 kings and were just down to one... three more kings would come if you didn't kill the last one quick enough which just makes no fucking sense.
  • StageFighter64 - January 27, 2014 12:30 p.m.

Man. Mitsuo's Shadow in Void Quest bugged the crap outta me until I fused Black Frost, then I took him down quickly. As for Sephiroth in KH, I almost beat him back when the game first came out. I got him down to his yellow bar, but I haven't been able to since. Kurt Zisa was fun and annoying too.
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2014 12:21 p.m.

Heh, definitely agreed with Sephiroth and Ornstein & Smoug, damn were they though sons of bitches to overcome. But I'll be damned if Ornstein & Smoug made you feel like the baddest motherfucker around once you DID finally beat them :D (Also, you might have wanted to note that depending on who you defeat first, the fight can be WAY harder. If you kill Ornstein, sure, smoug gets lighting powers, which makes blocking against him noneffective, but he's still slow and dumb and easy to evade if careful. If Ornstein absorbs smough though... he becomes GIGANTIC, but just as fast, making him just a motherfucker to beat all around, because you can't doge him easily, and he has un-blockable grabs that are almost an instant kill.) Regarding Ultimecia, yes she can be hard, HOWEVER, if you discovered how to use (and abuse) Rinoa's limit break, which allowed you to summon her dog, which gave a random buff, ONE OF WHICH was fucking invincibility for several turns. This coupled with an item that allowed you to reach limit break status instantly (and WAS a farm-able item) made the otherwise hard fight into a non-Issue. Lastly, I agree with the fight against Sho- But not the one you're describing in the middle of the main story. That one is challenging, but not that bad. When you fight a GOLDEN version on him in the extra endgame chapter though... THAT ONE is nigh impossible XD