• agentkuo - October 8, 2013 7:17 a.m.

I don't see anything wrong with Sonic and a human. He's an anthropomorphic hedgehog. And there is no Bowser + Peach romance that is cannon, so that shouldn't be on the list.
  • GlitchedQuest - February 12, 2014 7:15 a.m.

It's not so much the inter-species romance as it is the fact that he's like 20 something and she's like 14. Sonic's a pedo.
  • BladedFalcon - October 8, 2013 7 a.m.

...How the heck is the Otacon + Sniper Wolf romance more wrong than Otacon + Emma... y'know...HIS FRIGGING YOUNGER SISTER >_______>
  • Frieza - October 8, 2013 7:02 a.m.

Incest is wincest!
  • BladedFalcon - October 8, 2013 8:41 a.m.

...How come that nowadays, racist, sexist, or rape jokes are frowned upon to the point they are borderline taboo, yet Incest jokes seem to be generally okay with most people?
  • occasionalgoldfish - October 8, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Probably because of Game of Thrones. :L
  • BladedFalcon - October 8, 2013 9:42 a.m.

...Game of Thrones doesn't glorify it however, it pretty much depicts it as a despicable, corrupt action.
  • Eightboll812 - October 8, 2013 8:27 p.m.

Context. "Racist, sexist, or rape jokes are frowned upon"...because of the Internet and camera phones more than anything. When you make such a joke to an unspecified audience, you are going to offend many people. However, if you have a black friend, you very well might make racist jokes back and forth with that person if you know each other well enough. It's always been that way, since the history of jokes. It's always been about knowing your audience and knowing what they will find humorous or not. The only difference today is that there is no such thing as privacy anymore or a private audience, now that everyone is videoing EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE. Even if you made a racist joke at a secret KKK meeting, a video would probably show up somewhere revealing your joke. So the point is, since you have to assume everything is public knowledge, there is no longer much of a context with which you can even have a private joke between friends. Is incest funny? You seemed bothered by it, so you kind of disproved your own point in the process of making a point about it. I'd venture to point out there is practically no topic of joke anymore that won't result in someone getting bent out of shape in a comment section/forum.
  • BladedFalcon - October 8, 2013 11:09 p.m.

I think you kinda misunderstood me. I actually am against the current climate of "Whoops! better make no jokes to avoid offending anyone!" in which we live in nowadays, and yes, I think anything, even morally despised elements like incest CAN be funny. In this context though, I was more bothered by the fact that, since it's not such a widespread issue, the internet in general seems to have no issues using lame jokes like the one displayed above, (Trust me, this isn't the first, nor the last time that phrase has been used.) yet throw hissy fits at far more funny, elaborate jokes just because they happened to poke fun at a certain stereotype. Basically, what bothers me is the hypocrisy of it all, and the fact that information being so widespread has created a weird culture of intolerance born out of political correctness. And yes, you're absolutely correct with your last statement. But in this particular case, I wasn't bent out of shape by the topic of incest, nor did I take it personally. Though you can bet there ARE people out there that WOULD take personal offense, but since again, they are so FEW, lazy jokesters seem to find it a safe enough topic to carelessly poke fun at. Which is again, rather ironic. At least to me.
  • Eightboll812 - October 8, 2013 11:54 p.m.

I guess I did misunderstand :-). Sorry about that. You are entirely correct.
  • BladedFalcon - October 9, 2013 5:39 a.m.

No worries, glad you understood what I meant ^^ I mean, seriously, the amount of sensitivity people have about ANYTHING that could even remotely apply to them, no matter the context, has gotten ridiculous. And I'm just worried it's become this way, at a very fast time, 3 years ago this was barely an issue, and now, no joke can be made that is even the slightest bit controversial, lest it gets accused of being bigoted, insensitive, or of poor taste >_> I think it's gotten to the point that most white people now have to resort of making fun of only white people stereotypes and subcultures, and EVEN that is now being met with criticism -.-
  • CrashmanX - October 8, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Because Taboo =/= Morally wrong. Incest is a topic many wish not to talk about and would rather push aside under the rug. Incest also isn't degrading or harming someone else UNLESS it's in a rape situation. Incest is between two parties who know what they're doing. The other 3 are demeaning to millions of others.
  • BladedFalcon - October 8, 2013 12:01 p.m.

So... just because it's an issue that affects a relatively small amount of people, that makes it okay? Also, incest tends to happen a lot in the teens, are you saying those know what they are doing? How about the families that have been affected by the issue yet had not a say in it? I'm pretty sure they'll find incest jokes hilarious, and not demeaning at all. *Rolls eyes*
  • Drekner - February 12, 2014 11:54 a.m.

..Wat. Come on, man, sure, incest is definitely strange and really "nasty" but racist, sexist, and rape are three things that push extreme negativity towards an individual. Racism towards the race in question, sexism to the gender in question and rape to obviously the individual. Incest is just biologically wrong and highly frowned upon because it's freaky to most people but it's not like... Dumping some sort of extreme negativity on an individual be it mental, physical, or both. It's just two people who really dig one another who unfortunately are in the same family which is freaky. XD Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating incest in any way o.o But incest and the other three really aren't on the same boat exactly.
  • BladedFalcon - February 12, 2014 3:52 p.m.

Um... You make it sound as if Incest was just "weird" but not necessarily a bad thing... Except that Nature and biology itself proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that it IS indeed wrong. Inbreeding has proven to greatly increase the likelihood of the offspring having serious genetic disorders or mental problems, and it's something that's also plain to see if you look at the lines of European royalty that bred among themselves. (The Romanovs anyone?) I'll concede that Incest doesn't necessarily push people button's to the extreme negatives the other issues do, but it's still most definitely a problem, and the people involved in it do TEND to suffer or come screwed up in one way or another. So no, it's not just "freaky" or a weird lifestyle choice.
  • Drekner - February 12, 2014 4:11 p.m.

Yeah, I definitely should have put more emphasis on the biological disturbances that inbreeding can cause other than saying one time "biologically wrong" as it is most definitely a problem for sure. I'm definitely not trying to say incest is in any shape or form BETTER than the other issues, but it just isn't quite as.. traumatizing I think is a good word for it. I even remember second guessing myself during the final scene with Otacon and Emma, wondering what their relationship actually entailed. I was disturbed, to say the least, especially since I was a bit young when I played that part. I also scrolled up and read a bunch of comments that weren't there as I was typing mine and know I totally see your point. It brings to mind the recent event that happened with Samuel L Jackson and that entertainment reporter (who's name I cannot recall) where the entertainment reporter actually mistook Sam for Laurence Fishburne. Sam then badgered him back and forth on it, which I actually think Sam was just having fun with him, but because it happened on live TV there are several articles I've read on it pulling the race card. When honestly, the two guys just look alike, it has nothing to do with their skin color or race other than the fact that they literally just have similar appearances. That being said, the reporter should have KNOWN who he was interviewing, but that's besides the point. I simply bring it up as an example to what you said up above; about how media and the general population tend to be extremely sensitive to stereotypes and it's sort of concerning.
  • BladedFalcon - February 13, 2014 8:44 a.m.

EXACTLY! Thank you for finally understanding what I was trying to say XD And yeah, funny you mentioned Samuel L Jackson interviews. Because I dunno if this was the same r another one, he was talking about Django, and Jackson started trolling the interviewer hard because he refused to say the "N" word even though if he did, it would have been in a context in which wasn't meant at all as an offense directed at anyone. But today's society has become so overly sensitive about this that the mere uttering of the word has become taboo, regardless of context, and to me that's just sad. Which is why it ticks me off that we live in a society in which people stigmatize certain words NO MATTER how they are used, yet find phrases like "Incest is wincest!" to be completely acceptable.
  • Drekner - February 13, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Jeeeez I didn't even realize this article was so old! Sorry bout that. I figured it was made for Valentine's Day, not just brought back for it! Yeah, I totally get it. It's just really weird how society uh.. "works." Hah. There are so many parallels that could be drawn back and forth about why did this happen but this can happen? But eh, what can ye do. I think it boils down to a lot of people being involved in any sort of public posting, be it video or text. There are a lot of people that can be really upset by mentions of rape, or racism, and sexism is a rather prevalent problem these past few years too so if you're not going to start a shitstorm then people try not to post about that sort of thing. Sure, there are people who aren't exactly bothered by it to a point of getting upset. Example, that old guy in like everyone's family who has those racist jokes. While one and one with people, these sort of things can be talked about and even joked about, if you get to a large audience, you're definitely going to offend someone somewhere. I frequently use the N word in comical fashion towards a buddy of mine (who is you want specifics, isn't even black) but it's not like I'd walk up to someone I don't know and just start slinging it around. Never know who's gonna get a stick up their arse.
  • timothy-ketterling - April 24, 2014 9:18 p.m.

ya but the entire human race was created because of incest, actually everything on this planet was created because of incest. so doesnt that mean we should all have genetic disorders and mental problems. incestuous people can't help who they choose to love just like gays, yet they're able to get married because just they can't help who they choose to love, so why cant incestuous people
  • BladedFalcon - April 25, 2014 10:24 a.m.

You're a good reason why :P
  • TheGreyWizard - October 8, 2013 10:02 a.m.

*cough* step sister And there wasn't any actual romance between them to begin with.