• mothbanquet - December 1, 2011 4:38 a.m.

Pure magic, Matt, enough to brighten the lunch hour of any downtrodden desk-jockey.
  • redsawq4 - November 29, 2011 12:44 p.m.

She is not Marcus' mom. She is dead, and Marcus would recognize his own mother considering she died when he was a teenager. She would also most likely be older.
  • Ravenbom - November 29, 2011 11:54 a.m.

She's like the Queen from Aliens; she has a big butt. No, no, no! Wait! Hear me out! The Queen in Aliens has a big, detachable egg-laying butt which she leaves behind to go fight Ripley. The Locust Queen also has a big, detachable egg-laying butt that just happens to make it look like she's riding a huge, flying fire spewing beetle. Which also ties up how Locust are born. And why you never see that huge, flying, fire-spewing beetle at any other time.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - November 28, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Right before I was about to rescue Marcus's father during the campaign, I seriously wondered if the Queen was Marcus's mom. I didn't know that his real mom died, but I still think it could happen. Or I could also see Cliffy B just saying 'You know what? Fuck it' That's probaly the best choice.
  • RedOutlive10 - November 28, 2011 11:16 a.m.

Because nobody cares about Gears of War story, the series is as generic as you can get.
  • WinkedUp Lozza - November 25, 2011 7:55 p.m.

Seriously? The band Queen?
  • IamTheBalance - November 25, 2011 7:45 p.m.

I like how in that last picture one of the guys with a laptop is on gamesradar.
  • RedHarlow - November 25, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Character who look more human tend to be more relateable/the player has more emotions for/against the character.
  • Fox_Mulder - November 25, 2011 4:41 p.m.

Hilarious. Love the part about how Matt was a detective in the past life. I know much of these ideas were silly what-ifs, but you have to remember that before we even saw the queen in Gears 2 she had a voice before she had a face. To us, I mean. But, if you think about other queens, such as ants, have massive abdomens and shit out their offspring at an alarming rate. It also reminds me of the queen Slurm producer in that Futurama episode. But anyways, I hope they save it for a brand new game instead of DLC. I mean the universe's hugest questions can't be revealed in DLC!!! The big ones: Origins of the Locust, Why is the Queen "human", New Hope Facility experiments, Adam's purposefully vague explanation of how he was able to stop E-Day. But who knows. The answer for one of those questions could be the answer for all of them.
  • Zeos - November 25, 2011 2:32 p.m.

That was funny, nice article!
  • lilspooky - November 25, 2011 2:27 p.m.

"kill all humans" omg she turned into Bender!
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 2:03 p.m.

It should be 3, if only to blow the minds of Gow and ME fanboys alike XD
  • codystovall - November 25, 2011 12:05 p.m.

Combine 2, 5 an 8.
  • gondarpwns - November 25, 2011 11:51 a.m.

I chose #6 Matt
  • Galaxy010 - November 25, 2011 7:17 a.m.

Funny article, but I do want to make a statement/correction, this IS explained, though not directly. I don't have all the details EXACT (though you can easily find them online I would assume), but here's the explanation. After the discover of immulsion, some immulsion miners began to get Rust Lung, an immulsion sickness. Humans discovered a Locust (they didn't know what it was at the time), and saw it was incredibly resistant to immulsion. So, at the New Hope Research Facility, scientists began to preform tests on the miners and later their children to try and make them immune to Rust Lung. The miners were already too sick and became those creatures that you fight in Gears of War 1 whose names escape me right now. One child named Ruth was recorded to be a perfect human-locust hybrid that was immune to immulsion. Hating the humans because of the horrible experiments preformed on her, she joined the Locust. Now how exactly she became QUEEN or even accepted by the Locust I can't say. So yeah.....
  • pr0tostar - November 25, 2011 12:44 p.m.

This is what I've gone with since the moments you find those documents in 2. It needs zero further explanation for me. The matter of "Ruth" becoming Queen I just play off with the Tarzan/wolf girl theory. She hated humans for trying to play God, escaped or was "liberated" by Locust, and ultimate sought refuge with them(whichever tribe of Locust she reigns over, I know there's like artificial and natural factions or something.) Perhaps with her human knowledge, emotions, allure... something she had that they don't, they revered her as some sort of deity. Think of C-3PO to the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi. Then with a fistfull of rage and an entire hostile species at her disposal, she began her campaign. No offense to anyone, but this all seems elementary to me. I think what's placed in that facility in 2 is the official backstory of it, and it's up to the player weather or not they want to put the pieces together. After all, you're a run-n-gun soldier, not Sherlock Holmes. If this isn't the case though, then it's Epic leaving the door unlocked for future content. PS, nice shoops Cundy ;)
  • Y2Ken - November 25, 2011 6:30 a.m.

Haha, great article Cundy. We've been wondering this a lot among my friend group, our best guess was that she is Marcus's former "supposedly dead" mother (after all, his father was "dead" for a long time too) - but surely he'd recognise her straight away when he saw her?
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - November 25, 2011 6:06 a.m.

shouldn't it be "would have"? funny article :D
  • Yaro - November 25, 2011 5:58 a.m.

"Might of" and "Could of" instantly reminded me of House of Leaves, god I love that book. Awesome article, Mr. Cundy -> Pure excellence.
  • RonnyLive19881 - November 25, 2011 8:13 a.m.

Oyg LOVE that book!