We Recommend

• EwoksTasteLikeChicken - April 28, 2011 12:19 a.m.

I don't know why, but I've never really minded box art that much. The one thing I must say, is that Mirror's Edge has terrible box art. I didn't even pick up the game until a few weeks after it came out. I just thought it was some weird game about an emo girl. Damn, was I wrong.
  • CH3BURASHKA - April 28, 2011 12:19 a.m.

Not every box art can be some hipster abstract kaleidoscope of shapes; most of these look alright by themselves. However, when put right up next to each other, their generic nature does stand out much more. However, I'm much more disappointed in discovering you missed the greatest cliche of video game box arts, perhaps of all media ever: the blue-orange contrast art. In fact, just last week we got Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat, two box arts that prominently feature these colors. There's a bunch of compilation images of movies/games/etc that feature those two colors. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.
  • NightCrawler_358 - April 28, 2011 12:10 a.m.

Great article, these are used alot on boxarts. Quick question, are you guys going to be doing a five reasons to hate angry birds? That'd be great!
  • FrozenImplosion - April 27, 2011 11:56 p.m.

Good article, though to be fair, there is another version of the Alan Wake box, it may have been the British version but I don't remember. It featured (still similar to the logo), but the light beams and shadows below Alan created the forms of the Taken... or whatever they were called (the shadow enemies).
  • GamesRadarCheryll - April 27, 2011 11:54 p.m.

@DiegoUK Yes, yes it was.
  • DiegoUK - April 27, 2011 11:49 p.m.

O_O Was that a fucking Outkast/UGK reference?! GR, I love you so much more than yesterday. "If that bitch do you dirty, we'll wipe her as out as in detergent."
  • AirickG - April 27, 2011 11:46 p.m.

awesome! I think you covered just about everything!
  • GamesRadarCheryll - April 27, 2011 11:44 p.m.

Good eyes to those of you that picked out the faux box art. They've since been replaced! :) Personally, I'd like to see you guys try and create a cover that either uses none of these cliches or ALL of them. Post it in the forum!
  • FVDub - April 27, 2011 11:38 p.m.

The boxart for Mortal Kombat Armageddon is one of the most atrocious things I have ever seen. A horribly rendered Goro plus what I can only assume is Johnny Cage in middle school before he started wearing contacts and became athletic. Also, how dare you insult Okami in any way!!
  • yetanotherCid304 - April 27, 2011 11:34 p.m.

This article made me do three things: 1. lmao 2. suspiciously eye my killzone 3 and red dead redemption covers boxes ( both of which are lying by my right). 3. engage in a one eye staring contest with kratos (i lost). ps: anyone notice that all but one of the games in 8 are on a nintendo system.
  • FauxFurry - April 27, 2011 11:32 p.m.

I'm thinking that Wii-Fit and Katamari Damacy might be the only things that completely avoids anything on this list in any version of their boxes remotely recently (that I recall,anyway). That's not a good look, now is it?
  • p0wnd - April 27, 2011 11:32 p.m.

You could argue that the Medal of Honour guy is looking at the camera, and in Animal Boxing the lion can't necessarily say ahhhhhhhhhhhh
  • FauxFurry - April 27, 2011 11:25 p.m.

The only covers that I can think of off-hand that don't conform to these cliches are Eternal Darkness (the logo may be prominent but it isn't front and center), Monster Hunter Tri (there may be a conflict, but it isn't quite a face-off) and maybe Okami. Then again, that's one of the bad habits that the videogame industry picked up from the Film business. These tricks may be cheap and predictable, but very effective. It's essentially the equivalent of button-mashing and move spamming for cover art. Maybe the next hate-object discussed could be 'Movie Games' or those games that try desperately to be movies while failing to be engaging games in the process?
  • JMAN1156 - April 27, 2011 11:24 p.m.

What type of box art is left?
  • fattoler - April 27, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Can't wait for this year's worst boxart :)
  • chrisat928 - April 27, 2011 11:12 p.m.

The SNES version of Alpha 2? Really?
  • ja3e - April 27, 2011 11:07 p.m.

You had a picture of Bully on PS2.. But when it was on PS2 wasn't it called 'Canis Canem Edit'?? It was later called Bully when it was released on 360/PS3.. At least over here in the UK it was...
  • gmknoble - April 27, 2011 11:04 p.m.

Solid.
  • JD_Method - April 27, 2011 10:55 p.m.

Good article. This covers basically every game cover ever. I'd like to see GamesRadar list some covers that don't fall under one of these categories.
  • ninjaemperor - April 27, 2011 10:55 p.m.

I've never really noticed it before, but it's so true, lol.