We Recommend

• Flashinthepan - April 28, 2011 3:24 a.m.

I'm sorry, what box art do you like?
  • Neowyrm - April 28, 2011 3:03 a.m.

So... can we have examples of boxart that DON'T fall into these categories?
  • marioman50 - April 28, 2011 2:22 a.m.

I'm half assuming this one is a joke, but I have to disagree with characters not looking at the camera being a bad thing. The character doesn't know me, I'm not part of the story. The character doesn't look at me throughout the whole game (he/she isn't breaking the fourth wall), why should the box art be any different. Why look at me? Shouldn't you be off questing somewhere? STOP STARING AT ME!!
  • Aletheon - April 28, 2011 2:14 a.m.

@Tochy good point. I was wondering why this article was so fail and so wrong, then you revealed the answer. thanks.
  • Aletheon - April 28, 2011 2:14 a.m.

JRPG box art was the best out of the group. recaptcha is lame.
  • XLGirthMan - April 28, 2011 2:13 a.m.

Sorry but the "characters looking away" one is stupid. If they look straight at you it's just ridiculous and probably breaks the 4th wall. Seriously, you're not gonna make box art with the characters looking at you. That's just dumb.
  • Tochy - April 28, 2011 1:56 a.m.

Women just aren't funny
  • DrLovez69 - April 28, 2011 1:54 a.m.

@silvereye AHHHHHHHH Half Life 2 box art....although, Logo is big-ish, and its face close up, but other than that bland as be damned!
  • Sleuth - April 28, 2011 1:44 a.m.

Bully's faceoff is awesome.
  • Romination - April 28, 2011 1:36 a.m.

You guys seems like you're out of stuff for Week of Hate and are just complaining about the smallest things now.
  • criticalkate - April 28, 2011 1:31 a.m.

But you know what cliche really gets on my nerves? Characters who have hands. It's everywhere! I mean really, designers can't come up with something more unique than that? Seriously though, I normally love most of GR's articles, but as a designer I'd be frightened if all videogame companies suddenly took this arbitrary list of rules to heart. It's such a ridiculous and extremely limited list, that it'd pretty much guarantee ALL covers from then on would look exactly identical: character must be looking directly at the viewer, both eyes visible (sorry, Nick Fury), with mouth closed and expressionless, holding weapon at side or no weapon at all. If both a hero and a villain are on the cover, they must be standing side by side or one behind the other, because the hero has to be looking forward, and collages are banned forevermore. And just to ensure all covers look exactly alike, the logo cannot take up more space than the figures featured on the cover. Also: if game features a team of characters, no more than two of them can be featured on the cover, unless some enemies are mixed in (who cannot be facing the heroes). The above could be titled "a recipe for guaranteed blandness." Half of the items listed are really just classifications of types of covers, that you then called "cliches." Others are just common poses that I'm not sure I'd even call "hated cliches." Game box cliches would be like the giant hand that takes up the whole cover (though L4D actually managed to make it work for them), or the giant eye that takes up the whole cover. What I take away from this is that you dislike collage-style designs (even ones by the much-copied Drew Stuzan, I wonder?), you dislike symbolic covers, and you dislike iconic covers such as ones where the logo or type becomes a key part of the design. All that leaves is literal covers, that show some sort of actual moment from the game (as long as they're looking directly at the viewer, and aren't pointing their gun forward, and have their mouth closed, and don't have one eye obscured or in shadow), with logo or type place in a way that doesn't attract any attention to itself. Which would make for an okay cover, it'd just get boring really fast if it was every cover.
  • juicenpancakes - April 28, 2011 1:18 a.m.

You probably don't have enough time in your day with all the great art you make, but damn, we need more Cheryll features (each with a hidden hip-hop reference). This was fantastic. -- I've always noticed the "one eye" cover, it always creeps me out.
  • RideZeLitenin - April 28, 2011 1:08 a.m.

I lol'd at giant heads.
  • sTiNatey - April 28, 2011 1:07 a.m.

Is there an article for the top x best box art?
  • hellodesdemona - April 28, 2011 1:06 a.m.

I can't think of a single game that doesn't have one of these. Especially the "looking away" one. If the characters didn't look away, every single box would have the character look right at you. Do you know how creepy walking through a game store would be? Horror movie material, that is. Anyway, funny as always. Week of Hate always leads to interesting topics.
  • Corsair89 - April 28, 2011 12:55 a.m.

Haha. Just about all of these piss me off. But because I have such a boner for JRPGs, the collage of characters just makes me feel at home. :P
  • Cheech360 - April 28, 2011 12:54 a.m.

Hahaha love this
  • LordZarlon - April 28, 2011 12:46 a.m.

Hey Sponge Bob. Open wide......Bitch!
  • NearNRiver - April 28, 2011 12:44 a.m.

Number two: Also a good way to show off that finely animated ass you worked so hard on.
  • dajo - April 28, 2011 12:22 a.m.

Awesome article! I also hate the back of game boxes, particularly on Wii games. The mass of health warnings on the bottom with a few pictures on top is just so clinical and depressing looking. Personally, I preferred the less ethical approach of endless hyperbole and exaggeration that was used as a last-ditch effort to convince you that you were holding the greatest game ever made.