Topics

Interviews

• sharkweek - July 13, 2011 9:56 p.m.

@NubberzTheHedgehog Mass Effect is not a first person shooter.
  • rabidpotatochip - July 13, 2011 9:48 p.m.

For those of you who haven't played X-COM and want to, check out UFO:AI (http://ufoai.ninex.info/, free download!) for a good idea of what it's all about.
  • Metalratex - July 13, 2011 9:46 p.m.

It's a new game in the X-COM universe, but I'd rather see a game as the old ones. I think this new one won't look better than generic.
  • shadowreaper72 - July 13, 2011 9:45 p.m.

Ok I never heard of XCOM before this was announced and the reboot gameplay looks like shit to me (this coming from someone who loves shooters) so nooooooooo.
  • Pantas - July 13, 2011 9:38 p.m.

“The ‘90s generation of gamers all love XCOM and we own the IP, so we thought OK, what do we do with it?" How about making a faithful entry to the series that the '90s generation will also love?
  • NotBraze - July 13, 2011 9:36 p.m.

I think there are some interesting things about XCOM and I definitely don't hate the idea of it like most other fans seem to, but I will say that this statement was ignorant and borderline insulting. Saying that Kanye West has the same "core essence" as Ray Charles highlights exactly how 2K is misunderstanding appropriate comparisons. If a new artist came to the scene with a sound similar to Ray Charles, it may not sell as well as a Kanye West CD, but there are definitely people (myself included) who would get excited for that and likely pick it up. On the same token, if Kanye West decided to come out with a new CD under the name "Ray Charles" it would only succeed in alienating Kanye's fans who don't care at all about classic R&B and infuriate fans of classic R&B by misusing the name of a legend. I've never played the original X-COM, and while I've respected many of the complaints before now, I have never fully understood just how infuriating it is until now. This comment from 2K has shown me exactly what is wrong with this project, and how grossly they are misusing the X-COM name.
  • NubberzTheHedgehog - July 13, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Its not XCOM. And as the spoonyone said it is betrayal. It will also fail cause it is like a first person mass effect and it is releasing the same day. And for the reasons that onewheeled999 said.
  • K387 - July 13, 2011 9:30 p.m.

This thing is unlikely to crash and burn. Maybe not do as well as they think, but I doubt it'll be a stupendous flop. But I will echo your sentiments that publishes (I believe more than the devs) don't give a damn about the old IP's. Christopher Hartmann himself admits that turn-based strategy games aren't the hottest thing, but FPS sure is right now. Nevermind that you're trying to grab share in a market that has Halo, COD, Battlefield, Red Faction, BioShock, Homefront, Rage, Duke Nukem Forever, Resistance, Killzone, etc. etc.
  • SpaceOdysseus - July 13, 2011 9:21 p.m.

By his logic, Justin Bieber is a healthy evolution of the Rolling Stones and we should all respect his music. Bullshit! His argument just doesn't work, they're completely different genres.
  • onewheeled999 - July 13, 2011 9:19 p.m.

I'll just echo a response from The Escapist's forums about this. "Newer generation of gamers don't care about an old IP like X-Com and the original fans don't want a shooter. This thing is going to crash and burn because of lack of market research."