• winner2 - June 12, 2013 4:42 p.m.

I'm pretty sure this was planned through a financial perspective rather than a desire to be assholes like I think a lot of people are ready to believe. It's not just a games console anymore, it can even be claimed that it's more media center than game console. Considering that, I can see how they might want to place more of their focus on areas developed to the point that a media center actually has a probable profit. I mean, a lot of Africa is not as developed as a rural town in the U.S. Take that for what you will however, as I'm not a geography pro, much less an African geography pro.
  • campinbastard - June 12, 2013 6:20 p.m.

While I do completely agree with your assessment of the situation, a lot of people are still being shafted by the policies that Microsoft is employing with the Xbox One. At the moment, it's not looking a pretty picture for Microsoft in this console cycle
  • winner2 - June 12, 2013 6:41 p.m.

You're absolutely right that a lot of people aren't going to be able to take advantage of the xbox, but I'm not so sure they're out of the cycle yet. They're not just aiming at gamers anymore, they're widening their audience. I can't quote an accurate figure on this, but I have a feeling there are a lot more people who are more interested in the other possibilities of including tv service, sports and netflix and whatnot of a media center than the games alone. Not to mention they still have plenty of xbox loyalists and people who just aren't bothered by the policies, such as myself. They have certainly lost a number of potential customers in the past few months, but I think over time the xbox (and I'm assuming it's successors) is going to worm it's way through the entertainment sphere to where microsoft wants it to be.
  • Leemundo - June 13, 2013 4:16 a.m.

I'm sure I read that gaming as a medium has started to overtake the film industry?! The initial loss of pre-sales alone will be in the hundred millions. If PS4 is already 4-1 ahead as mentioned above then that's like 4 MILLION x £400 lost, not to mention the fact no Live fee purchased or any 'entertainment' purchased. No used games either?! I bought a sub par Saints Row game for less than £5 while I had GTA, I never would have bought that new, that used game sale encouraged me to buy SR2, SR3 and pre-ordered SR4. That's over £100 of "used game" sales Microsoft and the publisher could be losing. Save this comment. I bet Xbox One won't reach half of the 360's sales in the first three months. £10,000 big ones on it.
  • berry87 - June 13, 2013 8:26 a.m.

i multimedia hub when the actual content of this hub is a basic tv guide over lay of your existing cable guide, which is only available at launch in the US, everything else on xbox one can be found on the ps4 :S so to state that it's a media center is beyond me.
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 4:19 p.m.

Well, whaddaya know, Mexico was actually listed! Not getting it anyway, but I do feel a tad giddy that we're no longer considered that insignificant to the gaming market, apparently :P
  • shinkeidei - June 12, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Are you mexican hermano? Awesome!
  • BladedFalcon - June 12, 2013 5:42 p.m.

Claro que si carnal! haha! tu tambien? :D
  • shinkeidei - June 12, 2013 8:05 p.m.

Simon de Guanatos!!!
  • n00b - June 12, 2013 3:48 p.m.

my country isn't on the list welp one more reason to get a ps4
  • JarkayColt - June 12, 2013 3:22 p.m.

The word "work" in the title pretty much says everything. So basically, not everybody can even expect the thing to work in their own country. The hell. Enjoy your new doorstop folks. (Okay, I'm exaggerating.) Although to be fair, that is fairly decent coverage of the main areas they could expect sales, but still, the fact that it's region-locked is the main kicker. Plenty of people enjoy the freedom of being able to import games and systems if it means they can get something first, or cheaper, or...at all. In fact, I've never really understood the idea behind region-blocking. Can anyone give me a practical reason for it? If someone wants to spend money importing a game or console, I can't see why the hell not.
  • LoboMau - June 12, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Sure. I can tell you about that, because I import many of the games I play via amazon. For instance, I order the games from amazon uk, yet I don't live in the uk. I get cheaper deals that often go to 1/2 of what I would pay on a local store.
  • LoboMau - June 12, 2013 3:41 p.m.

Sorry, I misread your post.
  • JarkayColt - June 12, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Thanks, although I was wondering more about the actual practice of region-blocking. I can see why people like to import products from a country that isn't their own, because, as you explain, you can sometimes get things cheaper due to exchange rates, or earlier, if a game hasn't been released in the area yet. And it even enables some people to get a product they otherwise may never have been able to purchase normally. So, what I don't understand is why companies like to enforce region-specific restrictions. If somebody imports a region-free product, surely that's still money in producer's pockets, right? As well as one more person enjoying their goods. I'm guessing you mightn't have bought some of those games, had importing not been an option, right? If the XBox didn't have the stupid authentication hitch it could well have been region-free too I wager. I don't see the point.
  • LoboMau - June 12, 2013 4:48 p.m.

They want people to buy at the prices that they (wrongly) set for that region. There's a serious problem that many aren't aware, either because they are in the US or, to a lesser extent, the UK. The exchange rates, namely the USdollar/euro, are not being correctly applied or, in this particular case, not being applied at all! And they keep ignoring this fact, or better yet, they don't want to acknowledge it to their own benefit. In case you are wondering, games should have a value in euros that is 33% less when converted from dollars. This also applies to many other goods which, in turn, entices some buyers to find better deals by importing. I'm sure there are other reasons why they would consider making region-blocked games, but this is certainly one of them. Another one, that is closely related to this fact, would be to boost the digital distribution income because there will be no more MS points (remember that these can be bought in cards and thus the same principle applies).
  • JarkayColt - June 13, 2013 2:23 a.m.

Ah, yeah, I have always wondered why that happens; why is a price in Euros usually numerically identical to the price in dollars? Because, as you say, that is definitely NOT an identical cost. What is it, laziness? Ignorance? Or just a blatant attempt to squeeze more money out of Europe? I'm still not sure it's a valid reason for region-blocking, though, because, again, surely all the money goes back to the producer's pockets anyway, whether you bought it in dollars or pounds or euros or whatever. They're still making a profit on it. :/ Another reason I thought of is that they want to keep the money in the home countries' economy, so maybe the EU price is higher so that, well, more money is being put into the economy, obviously. As opposed to the UK's or the US's. But that reason doesn't really seem to be in the producer's interests as much as it is the countries'. The digital distribution one is a valid point, though, because it's often necessary to have region-specific storefronts. But, then again, you can make a JPN, US or UK PS Store account and download content from another region's store, so... yeah, I'm going to conclude the only reason is to "screw customers with exchange rates." XD
  • jh4911 - June 13, 2013 3:23 a.m.

They don't care about the producer, they only care about their own profits. Concerning ripping people off in Europe, it because we put up with. They are dicks (Sony included, they are just the least dickish at the moment, by quite a margin). Read quite a nice article on this here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22868787
  • JarkayColt - June 13, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Wow, thanks for sharing that article! I just knew that there wasn't a logical explanation...the prices they stick on UK and EU goods is ridiculous. I really am curious now about the profit margin they expect to make from that kind of extortion. Do they just see the UK/EU as a smaller market or something and need to make up the numbers some other way? Ugh.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - June 12, 2013 3:04 p.m.

How are they not embarrassed by this? To be fair though, they were never going to do well in those regions anyways.
  • StrayGator - June 12, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Many comments in facebook along the lines of "3rd world countries don't have money, broadband or electricity, and they're oo busy playing soccer in the dirt or running from lions anyway". good going, developed world.
  • StrayGator - June 12, 2013 3:21 p.m.

reminds me of the times when storm of the x-men visits her childhood city of Akkaba, Egypt*, where everyone wear traditional tuareg** garb apparently. just like real life. * Aqaba is in Jordan. ** think raiders of the lost ark.