• tonypang - August 9, 2012 1:49 a.m.

Fighter's Destiny from the N64. It's unique selling point of a points based structure to win is what I loved about it. But being a fighting game on N64 meant it was doomed to fail at retail…
  • AuthorityFigure - August 9, 2012 12:50 a.m.

The Art of Fighting. That game controlled like velvet.
  • FauxFurry - August 8, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Since nobody else mentioned them, Last Bronx and the not-quite-as obscure Fighting Vipers could seriously benefit from HD re-releases/remakes if Sega won't just make a Fighters MegaMix 2. Soul Calibur 4 lifted one of Fighting Vipers' major gimmicks (the armor system),but it still has something that Soul Calibur does not: a guy named B.M. and a Serpentor look-alike.
  • Fuzunga - August 8, 2012 9:16 p.m.

I loved War of the Monsters! I thought nobody else played that game, but it was apparently pretty popular. Also, I'm pretty sure Hudson was working on a new Bloody Roar but it was cancelled by Konami which is why I'll hate them forever.
  • Exiousa - August 9, 2012 12:41 a.m.

You have the love of the same two games I do :D I spent many a fun hour on both War of the monsters and Bloody Roar! Would be an easy no brainer to buy either one again if they we're released on current gen stuff!
  • FauxFurry - August 8, 2012 9:05 p.m.

I might want to see a re-do of Brutal:Paws of Fury just to see if they could at least bring it up to the level of Bloody Roar. I take it that no one is too shocked that ClayFighters didn't make the list.
  • Quantrepreneur - August 8, 2012 8:18 p.m.

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram! You wouldn't even need the ridiculously expensive twin-stick attachment!
  • FauxFurry - August 8, 2012 9:13 p.m.

Virtual On is actually on XBLA for 1200 MSP right now. No Twin-Stick required,either.
  • Arabacus Fox - August 13, 2012 4:09 a.m.

I have that on my xbox.
  • einhazard - August 8, 2012 8:07 p.m.

Primal Rage, Bushido Blade, Samurai Showdown, Weaponlord, Clayfighter... these are all missing and shouldn't be. Oh, also, you missed one that belongs on here more than pretty much anything else: KILLER. INSTINCT. Seriously, people still say 'c-c-c-c-combo breaker!' It's an institution.
  • einhazard - August 8, 2012 8:11 p.m.

(and before you say it, most of these weren't obscure at the time, but they are now!)
  • GR_LucasSullivan - August 8, 2012 8:17 p.m.

If you asked a random gamer (who wasn't a fighter fan) if they know what Killer Instinct is, they'd probably say "Yes," which doesn't fit the obscure bill. The real question is: which was better, Killer Instinct or KI2?
  • umesh-mudunkothge - August 8, 2012 7:58 p.m.

Ehrgeiz, Battle Arena Toshinden 3 and Soul Blade!!! This was my childhood trio.
  • einhazard - August 8, 2012 8:08 p.m.

Soul Blade isn't obscure, though, and they're still kinda making it in the form of Calibur. It's not the same, but it's the same franchise. Also, they made a new Ehrgeiz. It's called Dissidia (kidding! kidding!)
  • ninjaemperor - August 8, 2012 7:34 p.m.

Weaponlord. That is all.
  • einhazard - August 8, 2012 8:04 p.m.

Very yes
  • Fhiend - August 8, 2012 7:01 p.m.

Samurai Showdown series.
  • LordZarlon - August 8, 2012 7:01 p.m.

I appreciate you mentioning Bloody Roar but this game is a classic example of what happens when there are many more superior games in a genre at one time. When the first Bloody Roar came out it was a neat concept but there were simply a lot better games available. None of the sequels really improved on the original design. I'm afraid an HD remake would just expose the games flaws all the more.
  • gyromne - August 8, 2012 5:56 p.m.

Bio-Freaks by midway would be a great hd remake,but Killer Instinct for sure.combo breakers rock!