• WrathLord03 - April 23, 2013 3:49 p.m.

1999 Mode was only called 1999 Mode because Levine said he wanted to difficulty to be like that of Irrational's System Shock 2, which was released in 1999. In this respect, though, it was still quite the disappointment, because it wasn't quite as challenging, or 'hardcore', as he made it out to be. I still had plenty of money to upgrade whatever I wanted, and with a solid strategy it wasn't that much harder than the other difficulties. And you were really kissing Infinite's ass in that opening statement. It's not THAT amazing.
  • Fox_Mulder - April 23, 2013 9:41 p.m.

Compared to all the shitty games that are released, Infinite IS pretty goddamn amazing.
  • taokaka - April 24, 2013 1:07 a.m.

It is true that when compared to shit Infinite looks amazing, however when it is compared to other amazing games released Infinite is kind of meh in my opinion.
  • HerpingmyDerp69 - May 3, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Tomb Raider beat this game in my opinion, at least TR had more exploration, and a better story that wasnt full of holes.
  • haxxoromg - April 23, 2013 10:55 p.m.

you sir are a better gamer than i. after beating the game on hard without too much trouble i tried my hand at 1999 mode and got my behind handed to me on a platter. it took awhile for me to get used to how fast my shields got stripped and i died a little too many times early on, so i barely had enough money for upgrades. it was the siren that finally made me give up in the end since neither my shock jockey or devils kiss were good enough at aoe so she just kept reviving everyone and healing herself. grrrr.
  • Bloodstorm - April 24, 2013 6:02 a.m.

The Siren was a pain, but you could work the system by hanging out in the distance, and she'd just stay in her little area with her goons. I used the Carbine, Pistol, Sniper and Hand-cannon most often because they were accurate and you could head-shot enemies, and I made sure to scavenge only what I needed (leaving health items so I could come back if I needed health) and used the infusion bottles to level my health first (some people were going shield, but the shields suck) and upgraded the shield and salts almost evenly. I upgraded only the weapons I used most frequently, and upgraded possession once, devil's kiss once, and charge twice. I think I beat 1999 mode with 2000 bucks on me. Aside form the Siren, 1999 mode isn't much harder than hard (even when going for the scavenger achievement), if you upgrade a few choice weapons, aim for the head for most of the small enemies, use possession traps (They cause all but one of the affected enemies to suicide, with the last one becoming your ally until eventually committing suicide) and Devil's Kiss. It was a little more challenging, but not overly troublesome.
  • shinkeiDEI - April 24, 2013 3:14 p.m.

I was sent to the main screen only once during my time in 1999 mode. I just played more cautiosly and mindful
  • BladedFalcon - April 23, 2013 2:25 p.m.

I believe the first two are more than legitimate complaints rather than nitpicks. And as for the door opening thing... I actually LIKED being asked before moving to another area, specially is that meant waiting for the game to load or even not letting me to get back to where I was. It's a useful way of letting completionist freaks that we're headed away from where we are, so that we can avoid accidentally proceeding to the next area before we have explored everything there was to explore about the area before.
  • Bloodstorm - April 23, 2013 1:52 p.m.

First off Elizabeth(s) downs Booker like 10 seconds after he realizes why they are there to begin with, effectively eliminating the element of choice. The reality created after that was one Booker (our Booker) refused the baptism, and the other drowned instead of becoming Comstock. Second, Booker never said the world below forgot Columbia, be said he'd never heard of it and he didn't keep up with recent events. This is because in his reality, Columbia doesn't exist, because he never created it (with the help of Lutece), not because the surface forgot about it.
  • JMarsella09 - April 23, 2013 1:06 p.m.

No mention of the Siren fight?
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 23, 2013 1:04 p.m.

It says a lot about the quality of Infinite that these complaints are so small, and I definitely agree with a few of them like never fighting Songbird and the little to no explanation of the Vigors. Also, I didn't think about it, but the altitude should have been mentioned in the game at the very least. All that being said, this is one of the best games I've played this generation.
  • 7-D - April 23, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Those damn freighthooks!
  • Talvari - April 23, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Eat ALL the things!
  • Jdizzle - April 23, 2013 12:46 p.m.

These are criticisms that every reviewer should have had in their reviews. For some reason this game was let off the hook. No one seemed to review the game part of the game which was generic and messy. All the npcs where wooden and dull with the exception of Elizabeth. It had a good story and great ending. But playing through it was a slog and left me disappointed the whole way through with only an occasional peak. Very overrated in the end.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 23, 2013 1:01 p.m.

I'm all for you opinion, because I knew many people wouldn't like Infinite as much as they said they would. But at least tone it down, or acknowledge that it's YOUR opinion. Spewing words as if they're fact will only do you harm in the end. But I agree that some of these were things that the game did WRONG. Things like a lack of Songbird (potential future DLC) and awkward loading times/areas are all shortcomings, but they way you're typing, it's like a reviewer should've critiqued a game based on eating a whole cake and having a pitiful "arcade for children." A lot of this can be written off as artistic vision. Who the hell cares that not every bit of science was explained, so long as we were told a great story with great gameplay (in my opinion) in a great skybox.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 23, 2013 1:08 p.m.

I'm not sure if you replied to me specifically, but I was talking to Jdizzle. There's isn't a game I claim to love that I don't nitpick over time. It's the nature of the beast, I suppose.