Topics

minigames

• Quinnland23 - September 11, 2014 3:02 p.m.

While I know the game play was almost identical to the in-game battles I loved Wing Commander's flight simulator in the bar of the mother-ship. Challenging friends to the progressively harder levels felt like a better measure of skill then what occurred in a random battle.
  • goobypls - August 12, 2014 6:25 p.m.

Skystones in Skylanders.
  • handa711 - July 14, 2014 6:29 a.m.

What minigame is in that Diablo 2 pic?
  • Voidwalker227 - July 8, 2014 11:30 a.m.

While I see why you say Tetra Master is better, There are many reasons that Triple Triad is my favorite Final Fantasy minigame. It is interesting that each card in Tetra Master has randomized stats. The number of arrows, their positions, and the stat breakdown of each card means that even low level cards can be quite powerful with enough work. On the other hand, have you ever had your 200+ attack power card lose to a defense value of 10? I have. It was one of the most retarded experiences I've ever had. You get close to the end of a match, you're about to sweep every card off your opponent, you drop your beefy summon card right next to their last card, and for whatever reason your 190 point advantage loses, only to combo half of your cards to your opponent and you end up losing. Did you do something wrong? No, but pure RNG turned your landslide victory into a total flop. Triple Triad had very strict values for cards, if you played a card with a higher number you would take the opponent's card. Additionally the rules of Plus and Same made it possible to chain an entire board away from your opponent. With these rules winning a match is not just a walk in the park. For those that still say it's too easy: go against the Card Queen when she has all 5 rares you can get from that sidequest. Not only that, she plays with every rule that makes the game more difficult. Same/Plus, Samewall/Pluswall, Element, get ready for a super challenging match. But the biggest reason that I devoted hours upon hours to Triple Triad every playthrough was because it actually gave you a reward for doing so! Turning cards into items and magic gave you a huge boost to your power. Through the card game and mugging it was actually possible to obtain Squall's ultimate weapon on the first disc of the game. No matter how many cards you acquired in Tetra Master, no matter how powerful they were, they never DID anything for you. There was no incentive to collect them other that to say you had them all. Other than the one point in the storyline that you are forced to play the game, the is absolutely no need to play another match of Tetra Master. Do not misunderstand. I enjoyed Tetra Master, once I understood the mechanics. Both Triple Triad and Tetra Master employ elements of strategy and deck building. Triple Triad is just a better game due to its lack of RNG and the rewards it gives the player.
  • rodger-walker - July 2, 2014 11:12 p.m.

You didn't have to abuse the Chaos to turn them evil. Treat them the same way you do the ones you wanted to be Hero but with exclusively darkside characters.
  • Foxster1701 - May 27, 2014 6:18 a.m.

Blitzball, omg, I still occasionally fire up my FFX game ta play some. Taokaka, yea, god those Digimon card battles in Digimon world 3, spent ages playing those.
  • RocK_M - March 24, 2014 3:55 a.m.

Tetra Master was a purely RNG based affair. True the higher ranked cards had "better" odds. But at the end of the day there is no strategy involved when even the AI w/ lowly all 0 stat Goblin card can still flip your maxed out "A" rank. No idea why a game like that would be classified as having "more depth" than Triple Triad.
  • FlyingFerron - January 16, 2014 5:28 a.m.

For me it was Monkey Soccer in Ape Escape 2. I played that for months after beating the main game.
  • Ketherx - December 23, 2013 4:46 p.m.

I'm sorry, but Triple Triad is way better than Tetra Master.
  • virofglacies - November 19, 2013 7:39 a.m.

I loved the Chao Garden! You're making want to play that again. Maybe I'll buy it from the XBLA
  • matthew-stoddard - September 28, 2013 6:09 a.m.

Bliztball was def a lot of fun...I played that quite a bit during FFX
  • kachigop - September 23, 2013 5:48 a.m.

I remember spending hours racing Chaos and cheering as they crawled over waterfalls and fell off bridges.
  • MojoSmelz - September 22, 2013 6 a.m.

Even though it was technically part of the main game, I absolutely adored the captain quark arcade games from ratchet and clank 3! They were great and how there was even collectables to get in them. Also, even though some hated it eventually, the hacking mini game in the first bioshock was really fun and how it got more difficult and new pieces and speeds were introduced kept it challenging. The only issues that ever came about from it was obviously the way that it would ppausethe game mid combat which sort of took away the immersion
  • bedelicious - September 22, 2013 2:25 a.m.

Oh, the time I've spend arranging my inventory. I pretty much only had space in my cube with all the charms I kept xD Good times.
  • Fox_Mulder - September 22, 2013 1:44 a.m.

I love the bit about Kung Foot. "Before you know it, you've missed your child's birth; a heinous crime with only one remedy: more Kung Foot." Utterly ridiculous and hilarious.
  • wingsdjy - September 21, 2013 10:02 p.m.

The hidden battle mode in Super Mario Bros 3 was my personal favorite. I think it was basically the original Mario Bros hidden in 3.
  • C.King - September 21, 2013 8:16 p.m.

the training minigames in mario tennis power tour a pretty cool, espeicially the rock paper scissors reflex training
  • pl4y4h - September 21, 2013 1:50 p.m.

I poured more time into blitzball then i'd care to admit to FFX fans that i know. Also for raising an evil chao, all you gotta do is pet and coo them with an evil character (Though let's be honest, we all chucked initially). Who knew?
  • PatHan-bHai - September 21, 2013 8:45 a.m.

The Tetris Mini-game In Mortal Kombat: Deception was awesome. It was the 2nd time after seven whole years us all brothers and sister just sat around the TV for hours straight to play Tetris and see chibi-Kombatants beat the crap outta each other. The 1st time was when we got top-down shooter for our PS1. There was a demo of an anime Tetris game which we all played a lot. One of my besy ten gaming moments belong that. :)
  • ivan-osorio - September 21, 2013 6:54 a.m.

Awesome memories with Inventory Tetris. Good times. (I also happened to really like Blitzball back in the day, and am looking forward to playing it again on the HD remaster.)