A list of Nintendo Wii's top selling games was recently found buried in the company's latest financial report, and the results are about you'd expect: loads of boxes with Wii in the title, Mario on the cover, and squeaky clean models in white shirts.
The list, uncovered by Sileconera, is as follows:
1. Wii Sports (2006): 76.76M
2. Wii Play (2007): 28.02M
3. Wii Sports Resort (2009): 27.68M
4. Mario Kart Wii (2008): 27M
5. Wii Fit (2008): 22.67M
6. Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009): 21.94M
7. Wii Fit Plus (2008): 18.49M
8. Super Smash Bros (2007): 10.27M
9. Super Mario Galaxy (2007): 9.31M
10. Mario Party 8 (2007): 8.22M
11. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010): 6.36M
12. Zelda Twilight Princess (2006): 5.82M
Naturally, the amount of retail time and whether a game came packaged with the Wii itself are huge factors to consider. Still, the abundance of casual fare and first party titles highlight Nintendo's non-hardcore strategy with the Wii, and perhaps more importantly, the reasons it was motivated to stay the course.
Nintendo has pledged to givehardcore fans more lovewith the Wii U. All the same, we're interested to see how this list looks five years down the road.
Aug 8, 2011