Marvel Comics will celebrate the 60th anniversary of Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man, this August, with a special oversized one-shot titled Amazing Fantasy #1000 which brings together a whole roster of high-profile creators to mark the milestone.
Right off the bat, if you're asking how Amazing Fantasy got to #1000, well, it's really more of a figurative number meant to celebrate the anniversary, more than an actual 'Legacy' number - though maybe if you count the entire almost 900 issue run of Amazing Spider-Man alongside the relatively few issues of Amazing Fantasy that have been published over the decades, you might just get there.
Either way, Marvel is marking the occasion with a murderer's row of talent taking on stories in the anthology one-shot. Returning writer Dan Slott, who has written more Spider-Man comics than pretty much anyone, will team up with artist Jim Cheung for a story about Peter Parker and Mary Jane's "enduring love", set in the far future.
Meanwhile, writer Neil Gaiman also returns to Marvel working with artist Steve McNiven, while novelist Anthony Falcone makes his Marvel Comics debut alongside artist Michael Cho in a story that introduces a new villain.
Here's a preview of interior pages, starting with a page from Gaiman and McNiven's story:
Likewise, Veep creator Armando Ianucci also makes his first foray into Marvel Comics for Amazing Fantasy #1000, alongside stories from veteran creators including Kurt Busiek, Jonathan Hickman, Ho Che Anderson, Rainbow Rowell, Olivier Coipel, Terry Dodson, and more.
"It's Spider-Man’s 60th and we wanted to celebrate in style by inviting some of the greatest creative minds in the world to celebrate it!" states editor Nick Lowe in the announcement.
Amazing Fantasy #1000 is due out in August, with a cover from John Romita, Jr. and variant covers by Peach Momoko, J. Scott Campbell, Taurin Clarke, Steve McNiven, and Joe Quesada (some of which are seen above).
Here's a list of the announced contents for the one-shot:
- Visionary writer Neil Gaiman and artist Steve McNiven tell a touching tale about how Spidey inspired a young fan
- Emmy Award-winning creator behind Veep and Avenue 5 Armando Iannucci makes his Marvel Comics debut alongside Ryan Stegman in a story about a strange Spidey conspiracy!
- Spider-Man mastermind Dan Slott and superstar artist Jim Cheung team up to explore the enduring love between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson in a story set in the far future
- Acclaimed artist Michael Cho and novelist Anthony Falcone craft a powerful story that explores the very root of Peter Parker’s heroism
- Ho Che Anderson and Giuseppe Camuncoli deliver thrills and chills in a horror-fueled Spidey adventure that cuts to Peter Parker’s core
- Kurt Busiek, Terry Dodson, and Rachel Dodson introduce a new Spidey villainess—the WITCH-QUEEN!
- Rainbow Rowell and Olivier Coipel spotlight the average day of Peter Parker’s hectic job as a Daily Bugle photographer
- Jonathan Hickman and Marco Checchetto take readers on an inter-dimensional journey across the Spider-Verse and beyond!
Campbell's will be one of a series of variant covers he'll illustrate (which will also be available for sale as 'Virgin' variants without trade dress) celebrating the anniversaries of iconic Marvel characters, many of which will turn 60 years old in 2022 and 2023.
"It's a thrill and an honor to create cover art celebrating the 60th anniversary of characters that have become so iconic and ingrained in our culture," Campbell says. "I really wanted to make images that would have a visual bridge from the pulpy 4 color origins of these monumental heroes to the modern-day slick coloring and production we are now all familiar with."
Keep up to date with all the new Spider-Man comics planned for release in 2022 and beyond with our handy listing.