Sega's Scott Steinberg has responded to his own comments from last week on the Nintendo Wii, when he voiced his opinion that interest in the Nintendo Wii may tire by 2008 and questioned the long-term appeal of the console's motion control.
According to Reuters, which ran the original interview with Sega's US Vice President of marketing, Sega was "alarmed at some of the negative commentary" directed towards Steinberg's comments and "sent over additional remarks... noting that the company was one of the earliest third-party supporters of the Wii and has announced seven Wii titles in the works and 'many more' in development."
Explaining precisely what he meant when discussing the Wii in the original interview, Steinberg said, "Sega has fully supported the Wii since day one and we continue to do so - it's no secret that we are close partners. Nintendo has done a masterful job of selling its vision and expanding the market. That said, it's a shared responsibility and opportunity for the whole industry to take advantage of the possibilities of the Wii."
"If we don't realize its true potential, we will have missed a great opportunity to expand creatively and that is what I was cautioning against in the Reuters interview. I'm not just putting the responsibility of innovation on Nintendo. It's on Sega and all the publishers and developers as well to carry that flag," Steinberg concluded.
June 18, 2007