Need for Speed delayed by a year as Battlefield 6 takes priority for Criterion
EA taps Criterion for help on Battlefield 6 development
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Finishing up work on Battlefield 6 means the next Need for Speed game has been delayed, as EA shifts studios around to meet their mid-pandemic needs.
The news emerged from a Polygon interview, in which EA chief studios officer Laura Miele told the outlet that a number of factors made this the most sensible call for the parent organization: work from home conditions mean DICE could use some extra help for this last push, the two studios have worked together several times in the past, and EA still has at least one racing game on the way this year thanks to its purchase of Codemasters.
"There's no way we would have made a decision like this without including [Criterion] and discussing this with them first, and the impact that they could have on [Battlefield]," Miele told Polygon. "They've worked on [Star Wars] Battlefront, they've worked on Battlefields, and they have a really tight, close collaborative partnership with DICE. I'm really confident that this is going to be a pretty positive win for them."
Miele made sure to point out that this doesn't mean Need for Speed is being taken away from Criterion, which resumed its role as lead developer on the racing franchise last year after a tepid stretch with Ghost Games (now EA Gothenburg). Instead, the next title has been delayed by a year, so now we can expect it to arrive by March 2023 at the latest.
On top of Criterion throwing in for work on Battlefield 6, DICE LA has also been working on creating the game's live service components - so post-release seasons, new content updates, that sort of thing - for more than a year.
According to a leaker, Battlefield 6 will have even more advanced level destruction than before.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

I got a BA in journalism from Central Michigan University - though the best education I received there was from CM Life, its student-run newspaper. Long before that, I started pursuing my degree in video games by bugging my older brother to let me play Zelda on the Super Nintendo. I've previously been a news intern for GameSpot, a news writer for CVG, and was formerly a staff writer at GamesRadar+.


