Destinys Taken King bonuses to be sold separately (but this formal apology is free)
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Frustrations with the pricing of Destiny's forthcoming expansion, The Taken King, have come to a head - and now, Bungie would like to formally apologize. In a statement on the Bungie Weekly Update, Taken King's creative director Luke Smith wanted to atone for the way the Collector's Edition SNAFU has been handled thus far.
"Reading my interview with Eurogamer and imagining it came from some random developer of a game I love - that random developer looks like an Asshat. But that Asshat was me - and those words rightfully anger you," said Smith. "I'm sorry. My words made it sound as if Bungie doesn't care about their most loyal fans. We do care. We are listening. And we will make it right."
In this case, that means making the previously exclusive Destiny: The Taken King Collector's Edition content - three class-specific Emotes, three new shaders, and three Exotic items with XP bonuses - easily available to those who already bought everything Destiny has to offer up until now. Those items will be available as part of a $20 "upgrade bundle" on 9/15/2015, when The Taken King will be released.
While a nice gesture, this makes the pricing of The Taken King even more complicated than it already was. There's The Taken King: Legendary Edition ($60), which includes the base game and all three expansions; the Digital Collector's Edition ($80), which has everything from the Legendary Edition plus those formerly exclusive bonuses, and finally the "Digital Download" ($40), reserved for those players who already own the base game and all the expansions. If you purchased the Digital Collector's Edition solely for those bonuses that are now $20, Bungie says "we’ll have some additional information for you soon."
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

Lucas Sullivan is the former US Managing Editor of GamesRadar+. Lucas spent seven years working for GR, starting as an Associate Editor in 2012 before climbing the ranks. He left us in 2019 to pursue a career path on the other side of the fence, joining 2K Games as a Global Content Manager. Lucas doesn't get to write about games like Borderlands and Mafia anymore, but he does get to help make and market them.


