• GR HollanderCooper - May 23, 2013 3:32 p.m.

Flagged it for people to see. Thanks!
  • JacksonShadow - May 22, 2013 10:49 p.m.

The two big issues on everyone's mind about Microsoft new system are the same ones that have been for the last two months. Is it always online? Can it play used games? Vague responses from Microsoft, while not clear or useful, are being taken by many as affirmative on both subjects. The problem though is that they're being taken as affirmations because people made up their minds long before we saw the new console. When you think about the prospect of being always online it scared people, a lot start thinking about security issues, and control issues, and things of that like which is a natural assumption, especially in our electronic age. What they aren't considering is how many people are already always online. The truth is whether you have an Xbox 360 or a PS3,if you use Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network you are in fact always online. While there are users that don't use either service and do enjoy the use of their systems is it really such a large number that a daily check in, a hardware usage check more likely than not, a deal breaker for the rest of us? Never mind Microsoft for a second though, what about Sony and their stated plans to move away from physical media as much as possible within the next generation. They are looking into engineering a system that uses digital only media. What will people do without a connection then? The industry, not just Microsoft, not just Sony, is moving in that direction. More and more gaming is an expensive hobby and it was never cheap to begin with but now, the technology and the companies using it have very specific plans. Welcome to the future, plug in and play your games, watch TV, search the Web, do your homework. We're hitting that point where the living room appliances and desktop PCs are starting to hybridize. We're getting to that weird part of our existence where the lower end of science fiction is coming true. On the subject of playing used games I've read a few things, including someone saying that Gamestop was dying because Microsoft is killing them. To that I say a few things, 1) let them. Hell, watch them burn and pour on some gasoline. As a gamer and a former employee I've never been exposed to such an awful company as Gamestop and I would happily see them go the way of the Buffalo if not dying completely. They treat employees like disposal paper cups, they have no standard as to product care, the upper management is self serving and petty, and depending on who you deal with they have no integrity. 2) Gamestops own bad business decisions, mistreatment of product, and poor planning is the only thing to blame for whether or not they will die. Did you know that for most preowned titles the amount of profit Gamestop makes is between 25 and 70 percent? When you sell a game to them they have a set internal rate based on demand for a title/product. That rate is the lowest likely rate they can allow themselves to pay. Once the product is ready to be sold again however it gets a markup dependant on the same factor. That's why last year's sports game will trade for a dollar but sell for $35. The compani s that manufacture and package the games in the first place only make money off of the first sell. Anytime money trades hands in a Gamestop after that it all belongs to Gamestop. Because of that publishers weren't making as much money as they felt they ought to and we ended up with season passes, dlc codes, multiplayer activation passes, and so on By saying that the X1 would require a newly purchased code for use with a game disc on your profile Microsoft is saying that you're going to have to pay the publisher for the game they made even if you bought it second hand. They aren't trying to kill Gamestop they're trying to keep companies like THQ from ending up the way they did. They're trying to keep the masses happy by giving money to people who both need and deserve it. (hopefully) The term full price is a sketchy term admittedly. Over the last few years standard "full price" for a new video game has been $64.94 tax and all. As well know however a preowned title can range in price from $2.99 to $54.99 so what exactly is full price for a preowned game with a newly generated usage code? I admit that I'm not fond of the idea of having to pay nearly seventy dollars for a preowned game, especially with how well Gamestop takes care of their product but at the same time I am curious how this end of the industry will be handled. I have no issue with Gamestop disappearing, I don't need to by games from them and the obvious direction the industry is moving is taking us away from physical games. These are my opinions based on what I've read here and there over the last few months. What I find most interesting about Microsoft new system is that we have officially known about it for a day, there is still way too much that we don't know about it, but in spite of that the popular opinion is to hate it as though it exists only for that reason. As gamers we are meant to be curious and ask questions, we're supposed to flip every rock and find all of our answers wide eyed and full of wonder, we're the supposed to be geeks who love this stuff. But then again, we used to do more than just play sports games and Call of Duty.
  • JacksonShadow - May 23, 2013 2:20 a.m.

1) you have the Internet apparently the so your argument is meh. 2) way too many question marks. This has cost you any serious argument you trying to make. 3) using the term Orwellian to describe a multi billion dollar company, using the term Evil Empire, and all those question marks makes you look craz y and like you just read 1984.(or watched the movie, I don't know, you don't seem very patient.)
  • ParagonT - May 23, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Okay, I thought I had to post my essay on here, but you summed it up quite nicely. Thanks.
  • lordgodalming - May 23, 2013 1:04 a.m.

Thank you, Microsoft PR person "JacksonShadow" who created this account today, probably so you could write this post. Your argument has the perfect amount of rational plea and slight disappointment, but with the problems that it's too long and doesn't make any sense. The industry may eventually go all online all the time, but I can think of no single piece of technology that requires me to be online once a day to function, including my smartphone. I can turn off the internet for the rest of my life and it will still function as a phone. The Xbox goes offline for a day and becomes a very pretty paperweight. Second and more importantly, there are many, many people in the world--gamers, even!-- who simply can't get online everyday. Microsoft is essentially telling them and the rest of us that they don't want people without internet to buy their console. How is that different than Abercrombie & Fitch saying it only wants "beautiful" people to wear their clothes? The only thing true thing you said is that Gamestop sucks the root. Totally with you on that one. Anyway, I hope MS is paying you what you're worth, because you're a good writer. Cheers.
  • JacksonShadow - May 23, 2013 2:15 a.m.

1) I don't work for Microsoft, I just prefer to be hopeful about new tech. 2) I didn't say the online thing was perfect, I agree it's a bit wonky but they're also aiming tv services at people. Packing that into a console is weird in my opinion, I read a little while back that there would be different versions of the system too so maybe they'll end up having that must be online and another that's normal. We can only speculate really. I'd be willing to bet they can't give a straight answer because they're trying to change the way it works because the stigma caused by all the rumors and now their inability to actually give an explanation. 3) Good at writing? Aw shucks, thanks
  • lordgodalming - May 23, 2013 4:45 a.m.

Okay, dude (or, indeed, lady), you don't work for Microsoft. But you're obviously on the clock for somebody (EA, maybe?). I realize that setting moles in internet comment sections is standard operating procedure for big companies these days, but you've been caught at it here, and your arguments just aren't convincing. Better luck next time.
  • Wade D McGinnis - May 23, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Thing is, you made your account on May 22nd. Had you had this account longer then a poultry 22 hours give or take, it would not raise any suspicion. Seeing you chose to focus on grammar to tear a person's argument also lends itself to that same suspicion we gamers' have grown to notice.
  • JacksonShadow - May 23, 2013 7:53 a.m.

ncidentally I'm really not on the clock for anyone or pushing an agenda. I just believe in discussion. Thanks for the replies btw, short of the part where you make fun of my age they were good reads. I did in fact miss the report about single ayer games shutting down, that does in fact sound awful. At no point did I claim the system would be the best thing ever but I am intrigued by it, faults and all, because I'm a curious person. I'm curious about the PS4 too but people aren't trying to burn it down so discussion about that is a lot easier. As for the comments about Gamestop, they are an awful company, a little research will show you that. If you want to find out first hand and have the time summer is coming up, pick up an app. The publisher argument isn't so much popular as it is true. Publishers love money, EA and Activision especially. They aren't as susceptible to the fate of smaller companies but the systems that have been put in place by them to develop games puts people and their jobs at risk. On some level getting publishers in general more money for a product we love is not a bad idea. What that amount is and how we're forced to interact with it is the crux of the issue. One of the earlier comments said I did a decent job of seeming disappointed. The truth is that I am disappointed, just in gamers and our culture in general. It feels for the most part like we haven't and are incapable of growing up. Everybody wants to burn down the new Xbox, ok but want of actual conversation on the subject is met you other insults and accusations? Damn, where did we go wrong? I do apologize for my initial wave off response but it got some really good replies and I'm happy to read them. I'm not here to try and push the next system or any program they've tied to it, I'm playing catch up because I don't have as much time as I'd like and I know I missed a few things. Sharing information and ideas is something I like to think we're still capable of. That's all.
  • ParagonT - May 23, 2013 9:22 a.m.

"The truth is that I am disappointed, just in gamers and our culture in general. It feels for the most part like we haven't and are incapable of growing up. Everybody wants to burn down the new Xbox, ok but want of actual conversation on the subject is met you other insults and accusations? Damn, where did we go wrong?" I think were just tired of ignorant comments to be honest. It's not rocket science of what they are doing. To call gamers incapable of growing up in general isn't very "grown up" in itself, but more like a person who is butthurt. No offense, right?
  • JacksonShadow - May 24, 2013 1:21 p.m.

This is a great read and you have made interacting with people on the internet nice. For that I thank you. The way Gamestop is relevant to the discussion is because of how they make their profit which I briefly went over in my first comment. Granted it isn't crippling the industry but as I mentioned publishers only get paid off the sale of new games. So whether or not a game is deemed a success by the broken system these days is based solely on those numbers. No Gamestop isn't the only used game retailer but they are the largest, there isn't anything illegal about it obviously which I don't know how or why that was mentioned but their revenue diverts a significant amount of money from other places it could be better used. Out side of that I mentioned them because of an article/"call-to-arms" I read on Destructoid a while back on how the company is dying and it's up to gamers to save it. My animosity is admittedly mostly personal from my professional dealings with them. As to try before you buy, of course there's nothing wrong with that, why should there be? Lending a friend a game may still be possible if all that's needed is a synced profile why not just sign in on other consoles? Hell my profile is on right around four these days anyway so if the new system is as cloud based as they say wouldn't we potentially be able to do something similar? Publishers are not in danger of going extinct, no but for some of them danger of dying is very real. In that sense isn't it our responsibility to keep them afloat as best we can? From that perspective is where I bring the theory that the used game fee is hopefully going to help[. I didn't say it would nor did I offer proof, I just said something to be optimistic. Aside from that I realized actually that Microsoft may be dancing around answering that question head on because they honestly may not know what the prices are. Again I am being optimistic and thinking theoretically. Publishers may ultimately decided how much those codes cost rather than microsoft, yes we'd be playing on their system but the IP itself was made and distributed by someone else. It's not their property so how can they put a tag on it basically. I can't stress enough that I'm not defending them I simply believe we should share ideas and look at all possible paths. When this thing comes out it could full well be worse than we even imagine now, it may over heat and burn down houses then for some reason charge you for the experience. It could also be pretty good, not spectacular or life changing, maybe just decent, we don't know. But if it is awful, I have Steam so I'm not really worried.
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 11:23 a.m.

I think what Jacksonshadow is saying it is more about evolving than need, sure you can cut off the data plan for your smartphone but then it isn't so smart now is it? If we all just wanted simple cell phones then the iPhone and android would have died by now. Always connected is not necessary for x1 to function it is just a part of what makes it function smartly