• Angelusbane - May 24, 2013 11:23 a.m.

It seems that instead of creating games MS are just breeding a new form of politician. They clearly gave no real answers, except that the xbox one is going to be a rather expensive remote control. I am pretty sure people do not buy games consoles just to watch tv. The amount of double speak the guys are giving out is complete BS. It is true with politicians that if they do not give a straight answer then it is bad news for the public.
  • jameel-aboulhosn - May 25, 2013 10:12 a.m.

It plays games. It will OBVIOUSLY play games and have a huge amount of them. I am utterly amazed how ignorant and naive and ridiculous people are being this week. Just because they didn't sit there for 5 hours straight and show you lengthy videos of the first 150 games coming out does not at all mean won't play games. The TV functions are ancillary. Get a clue.
  • Joedirt1105 - May 24, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Just to be clear, there isn't one time where my 360 is not connected to the internet for more than one hour at a time, let alone 24 hours. If you can't afford to have a persistent internet connection, don't go spend $500 on a console.
  • aasp - May 24, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Just to be clear, on occasions my internet goes down, not being able to play games would add insult to injury (especially given I BOUGHT them and the console and they belong to me)
  • Joedirt1105 - May 24, 2013 8:53 a.m.

When does your internet ever go down for more than a day? People need to stop complaining. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm sure you will though.
  • aasp - May 24, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Actually, I recently moved house, broadband in the new house took a week due to issues, PS3 got me through the boredom (given Virgin TV was also delayed...!), My point is that there is a thin line between any company making money and taking the piss, and there is a danger that Microsoft could cross that line. I have never pirated a game in my life, and yes I trade my games in, but I also trade in / sell my blurays and old mobile phones and a host of other stuff.. I bought them, they belong to me.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 10:43 a.m.

No, I won't :D Also, telling people to stop complaining? In the Internet? Smart.
  • PatHan-bHai - May 24, 2013 12:03 p.m.

You know that kid at parties who talks too much? Drink in hand, way too enthusiastic, ponderously well-educated in topics no one in their right mind should know about? Loud? Well, that kid’s occasionally him. BladedFalcon is a semi-regular user who shares his informed insights on the news at hand. Sharp, funny, and finger-on-the-pulse, it’s the information you need to know even when you don’t know you need it. .. hehe :P
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 1:01 p.m.

I'm a walking talking editorial! :D (Except I never have a drink in hand... XD)
  • PatHan-bHai - May 25, 2013 6:10 a.m.

hehehehe :P Neither do I ...... XD
  • Shinn - May 25, 2013 4:43 a.m.

We have very small data caps in New Zealand, I have the second most expensive plan available from my isp (which is the most popular in NZ), and only 150 Gigs can pass through my connection before it's slowed to about 3 kilibytes a second. That speed is not enough to, say, sign into steam or view a web page. Essentially, if anyone in my household is careless, I will most likely lose access to my console until my cap is renewed the next month. I'd also like to mention that the data plan I use is extremely expensive.
  • Baron164 - May 24, 2013 6:59 a.m.

I wish Microsoft would release a statement with some actual information, I'm hoping that the reason the message has been so muddy is that they are back peddling. Some of the statements made the day after the conference seem to imply that things are not set in stone yet. For the time being I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but so far nothing I'm hearing is inspiring confidence. And if I can't trade games with my friends then I'll keep playing my 360 for as long as possible. And if Sony does implement the same kind of system as Microsoft then I won't buy that either. On the plus side, it would be good news for Nintendo :-)
  • mothbanquet - May 24, 2013 3:12 a.m.

Thanks for this article, Mr Cooper. It's great to see an honest to God opinion; conclusive, informed and echoing many of our own thoughts and fears. Well done to you, Sir!
  • drew-pfaff - May 24, 2013 12:12 a.m.

I wonder how many people around my age have thought the same things as I have growing up, I grew up on the PS1 got my PS2, and then saw the Xbox and said "even I can tell that Microsoft is just trying to make money." got my ps3 and then wondered why people loved the Xbox 360 so much even after some people have bought multiple because of it breaking down, I get that the ps3 was 500 when it came out, but between paying for Xbox live and the RROD being so common, people that have bought the Xbox 360 have paid way more money than I have on the Ps3 on average I bet, and I even had my first ps3 die on me, but that was only last year and it was a first generation Ps3. I really don't think that the PS4 is going to have any of these things that made everyone hate the Xbox, because before this happened, there haven't been almost any rumors to point to the PS4 being like the Xbox one until this shit storm hit the internet.
  • Squirrel - May 23, 2013 9:31 p.m.

Between my Wii U for all things Nintendo and innovative, and my PS3/futurePS4, do I really need to even care about this? Microsoft has helped me decide what console to buy this fall, but it isn't their black box. Xbox One... Ya could've been a contender!!
  • haxxoromg - May 23, 2013 5:08 p.m.

fuuuuuck microsoft. when i bought my xbox 360 i was just getting into gaming and the only reason i got an xbox was because of halo. theres no way microsoft is getting my money this coming generation tho, not after all the bullshit they've been getting away with: red ring incidents (happened to me 3 fucking times), having to pay for online play, and now extra charge for used games? is there any reason not to switch to playstation or pc?
  • PolarBearsInHeat - May 23, 2013 1:04 p.m.

I'm sure someone probably already said/thought of this, but the most peculiar thought just struck me. If Msoft can guarantee that devs will on sell new copies of their game on x-one (or used with that full priced fee), the amount of goodwill that would generate would be surreal. I'm feeling like one of the possible scenarios is a lot more 3rd party exclusives for Msoft simply because the devs know that they're going to make money off every person playing their game.
  • drew-pfaff - May 23, 2013 11:01 p.m.

While I do think that is a good point, third party devs won't make games for a console that won't sell well, and with all the information that is out there about the Xbox one, I sincerely hope for the human race it does not sell well.
  • Jrr6415sun - May 23, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Microsoft will not have good will with devs because if consumers are smart they won't buy an Xbox one. If Xbox is always on and no used games and ps3 isnt everyone will be on the ps3. Xbox one will turn into the new wii u and devs will stop making games for xbox because the market is so small. But we all know consumers are stupid and will buy xbox one over the ps3 just because of the Xbox name, even if it means losing used games.
  • BladedFalcon - May 24, 2013 10:48 a.m.

However, you're incorrectly assuming that those fees would go to the developer. They won't, it will go to the publisher, and they aren't obligated to give any of that extra moolah to the devs.