Topics

MMO

• AnghellicKarma - February 6, 2013 8:09 a.m.

But will it be F2P?
  • Zeedar - February 6, 2013 3:44 p.m.

My question exactly. Seeing how all big subscription based MMOs fail, I wonder if it's just simpler to go for the F2P model right away.
  • Cruddi - February 7, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Am I the only person who'd rather have pay to play? I might have the concept wrong of F2P but having someone join a game late in it's cycle but being able to run with the big boys by buying everything turns me off F2P (like I said before i might have concept wrong) P.S. Sorry about double post... it's bloody 0145 here in the UK lol
  • henry-medina - June 22, 2014 3:35 p.m.

wrong comment section.... sorry
  • Saelyn - February 9, 2013 11:23 a.m.

F2P is a model for games that have gone to shit to put it lightly. Many times games try to start out as P2P for the sole purpose of preserving an amazing game and for the players, but when the game goes down hill, it turns F2P to try to keep it alive. F2P is the most profitable, but it's the one that brings in the worse community of people possible, and pure buy to win that makes nothing fair for anyone. The worse games I've ever played have been purely F2P models, and every good game I've ever played has be specifically P2P. I hope this game is either buy to play or subbed, because otherwise it'll be a shit show.
  • Danomeon - July 20, 2013 8:22 a.m.

I think the subscription model is dead, considering its biggest supporter (WoW) is still losing customers, and just recently implemented a cash shop. Let me say that again. It's a subscription model, and it STILL needs a cash shop to be supported. I think that's telling. I don't think F2P is too bad a deal, really. Tera and Rift have gone the way of the free-to-play, but neither of them have obscene cash shops to speak of. The same can be said of LoL, which mostly deals in cosmetics. that being said, B2P is definitely the best option for this game. It worked well for Guild Wars 2: the game is still doing pretty fine, supported by a cash shop that doles out in-game conveniences and cosmetics (which can also be purchased with in-game money) and the game is receiving content update every 2 weeks. The game has had a new content patch every month since October, actually. That's pretty nuts.
  • montauya - August 27, 2013 9:24 a.m.

The only reason WoW "needs" a cash shop is their decision to stop putting out a game worth buying in the first place. They used up the wow fan base to fund new games and have long since abandoned actually producing a game the original player base would sub for. Their new cash shop needs are just a telling sign they have sucked about all they feel they can out of their title. It is practically F2P now for very good reasons. GW2's original business model was based off their version of the cash shop from the get go however time will tell if their "fluff" releases will keep their player base around instead of releasing quality updates as well. WvW is the only thing keep a good portion of their players around and yet they treat it like a step child. I have no problem with WildStars business model with the credd system as long as it stays that way w/o going to F2P. I agree with Saelyn F2P sucks and should be avoided. I can not wait to play this game and I am convinced if they do it right they are going to be one of the biggest subbed MMOs around.
  • henry-medina - June 22, 2014 3:34 p.m.

how you know this game will fail... do you know the future you cant afford 14 bucks... is that to much for you in one month ....
  • henry-medina - June 22, 2014 3:36 p.m.

yeah free to play pay to play what ever ... It alll depends on the person to me 14 bucks ant alot of money you all complain 14 bucks is alot... i mean really