• Metagross - April 15, 2011 7:19 p.m.

HD screen remote.. the fuck is that ?.. oh an ipod touch Seriously better graphcis than PS3 and 360 F$£! yeah And 3D ? B]
  • BurntToShreds - April 15, 2011 7:17 p.m.

I gave you a chance when I got the Wii, Nintendo, but instead of games that stretch the limits of the motion control technology, we got a massive amount of shovelware. This didn't help it's reputation amongst the "hardcore" crowd either. Games that appealed to that audience seemed few and far between. It also didn't help that your online service is ages behind your competition, what with long-winded friend codes, different for each game. Good on ya for making a new console, but I'm not gonna get one if you keep up your current development ideas.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - April 15, 2011 7:10 p.m.

The Wii was made mainly for people to play in the same room with each other (Wii sounds like "we"). Having each player have their own screen seems like it's trying to keep that mentality. Doesn't sound entirely far-fetched, but having it be HD might be a bit much.
  • Asmodean - April 15, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Well, we will see what happens, and how much it costs, I see two problems with the idea of launching a 'Wii 2' five years before MS and Sony jump into the next cycle. 1) Traditionally new = expensive, I know some have said it will be as powerful as a 360 or even a PS3 so logically you would assume that prices would be similar to the other two. However starting a new production line will inflate the cost as Nintendo will have to recoup the investment. I also highly doubt Nintendo would want to make a 'me too' console to match PS3 and 360, which means it need its own hook to drive sales, all this means to me it will cost more then either PS3 or 360. Even if it cost the same, why buy 'wii 2', for what? better 3rd party game? better multi-platform games? 2)Throwing a new console into the fray five years before the others will split the demographic who's buying the wii; the non-gamers who purchased a wii are not going to buy a 360/PS3 like system, as they didn't care about 'real' gaming in the first place. The 'hardcore' who have a wii most like most likely own a PS3 or 360, so a 'me too' system for multi-platform games is usless as there gaming need are being met. Added to that I don't see non-wii owner buying this in droves, their multi-platform games are already on 360 and PS3. I really don't see the point in releasing a new current gen system, Nintendo has already lost the 'hardcore' to MS and Sony. A PS2/360 Mario or Link is just stupid how much better can a cartoon characters look; are they planing a photo realistic Link and Mario, I for one say 'no thank you'.
  • TheWhitestMexican - April 15, 2011 6:56 p.m.

Whatever you do, please, please, please don't let me down again, Nintendo.
  • marktsedita - April 15, 2011 6:40 p.m.

touch screen controller? predicted that shit when the original ds came out in '04
  • EsotericFerret - April 15, 2011 6:23 p.m.

As long as it's HD and there's a good Internet connectivity infrastructure with profiles and achievements/trophies, I'll be happy.
  • Aletheon - April 15, 2011 5:48 p.m.

I'm happy about another NINTENDO console because NINTENDO always makes a slew of classic games every generation. That is enough for me.
  • tomasspipass - April 15, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Is it too crazy to think that the 3DS can be used as a controller? That will help justify people buying the portable device if they know it is compatible with nintendos new console in the near future.
  • soranamineforever - April 15, 2011 5:22 p.m.

You know what? I don't give a shit about HD, screens on controllers, or motion control. Just give me decent 3rd party support. In terms of the Wii, if a game wasn't developed by Nintendo or Capcom, it was a complete waste of time. @Charlie_Fubar I don't...
  • Spybreak8 - April 15, 2011 5:19 p.m.

Hmmm interesting article and good writeup.
  • Charlie_Fubar - April 15, 2011 5:18 p.m.

i just have one question. Who DOESNT have a 1080p flatscreen yet?
  • iggzy880 - April 15, 2011 5:06 p.m.

I don;t care that much, I mean I really wanted the Wii to be good and it had some good to share but I can't even find the interest to play Epic Mickey when I visit home from college and the Wii is the only system available because my Xbox is on campus, and its not even a bad game. The Wii fell to much for its own family friendly gimmick and just didn't get the functionality past just party games at best, and I don't have many people around to come over when I'm visiting from college. I mean, if its during summer or people coming over to my dorm room, we'll just play on my Xbox. I mean, Halo Reach is better fun for my age and I also have Rock Band for those of different inclinations. I still love Nintendo, and I may buy a 3DS when it gets better games, and maybe an upgrade to battery life and graphics, but otherwise Nintendo is going to have to do a lot to sell me on this Wii 2
  • Pruman - April 15, 2011 5:01 p.m.

I promised I'd swear off consoles after this generation, so I won't ever be getting this regardless of what it is, barring some amazingly unique killer app that singlehandedly justifies the platform. I bet the touchscreen controller rumor has merit, though. Nintendo has to be scared about the iPhone and iPad eating into its DS and 3DS sales and sinking hooks into its casual customers (I personally skipped the 3DS because I'm an iPhone and iPad owner, where in the past I may have gone to a midnight launch). I bet this could be some kind of weird console/handheld synergy, where you play the game on your television with it, doing what FoxDenRacing said above, and then download bite-sized "apps" to the controller that you can take with you to score points or get items in the games, kind of like a Pokewalker or the GBA/GameCube connectivity. The question will be if they can pull it off without eating into 3DS and DS sales.
  • dphoenix192 - April 15, 2011 4:49 p.m.

I don't think Nintendo will drop the motion controls, and simply have them as a standard feature. It won't be the selling point of the console, but it'll definitely be there. As for the screen, I think nintendo will retain the wiimote and nunchuck look, except the nunchuck would be replaced with a new type of remote with a screen. Its the only way I can think of that would work, but it is just baseless conjecture.
  • FoxdenRacing - April 15, 2011 4:36 p.m.

Why not, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Looking at all the rumors and trying to find the common themes, I've come up with a prediction of my own: - It's a given that Nintendo is finally going HD for its video output; even at 720p this is a huge step in the right direction. 720p would also allow lower budget games...badly needed in the industry, exponential dev costs and linear sales can't subsist forever...and shift more of the focus onto gameplay, away from the crutch of eye candy...something the Wii already has a reputation for, and even then some of its games are gorgeous. Don't count out 1080p support, though, as by the end of the WiiWii's life cycle 1080p sets should have a fairly substantial share of the market. - There will be some form of backwards compatibility; whether this means using compatible chips with clock scaling, or doing as they have been and including the full hardware for older systems in the box, it's always appreciated...if only because my input-laden TV is out of inputs already (for the record: 2 composite, 3 component, 2 HDMI), with tons of composite cables dangling around waiting for 'their turn'; I imagine I'm not the only one that has that sort of problem. - Expect integral MotionPlus (or equivalent tech), though as the fad dwindles and the developers better understand how to use this tool, expect motion controls to become much more subtle than they were in the 'throw Wiimotes through your TV' phase. - Could the rumors of screen-on-controller be a stylus pad? While not appropriate for fast-paced adventure/FPS/fighting/etc games, it could make RTS console-viable, open up the DS' library to the home console market, and be a boon in slower-paced, more tactical games. Ultimately, support in-games will have to be optional, as experienced gamers can do menu-scrolling, object selection, etc. faster with a thumbstick. It could also add a whole new layer of strategy to local FPS...screen-watching would no longer give away amount of health, amount of ammo, etc. The possibilities are...intriguing. - I don't know what to make of the 'can be used as a sensor bar'...possibly that there's a new communication mode, rather than the (antiquated) IR sensor. Perhaps the "built-in camera" rumor is similar to a laser mouse's eye, and provides the reference pics to be communicated via bluetooth? Thinking about it, combining positional data via the camera and acceleration data through the controller would give a set of data unmatched by even Kinect. I suppose only time will tell.
  • Bladex206 - April 15, 2011 4:29 p.m.

It all sounds great. but please tell me they will be keeping the channel GUI. It's my favorite of the 3 consoles out this gen.
  • Shagnasty - April 15, 2011 4:29 p.m.

It'll be a 3D screen on the controller.
  • Fro4show - April 15, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Hmm. I find it hard to imagine a use for a controller touch screen seeing as most touch screen controls suck in general. However, I trust that if anyone could do it Nintendo can. Cant wait to see this thing though.
  • Longnuts - April 15, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Dammit. I just bought my first wii at the beginning of this year.