• maxx1 - October 28, 2008 10:39 p.m.

#14 It's just a game... sub-consciously when playing a scary game, you know that you're just... playing a game... Am i right?
  • KillDrone - October 28, 2008 10:04 p.m.

I've always wondered what it would be like if you had to restart the ENTIRE game when you die... though I imagine many a controller would be destroyed from the result.
  • kyu - November 11, 2008 6:33 p.m.

video games are scary only if you let them be. of course if your playing re4 and your home alone in a dark creepy creaking basement your going to be a little scared but if its broad daylight and the curtains are open and you see kids playing in the street or wherever the game is mostlikely to be not scary.......it all depends on your surroundings when your playing a game!
  • SilverWerewolf - November 11, 2008 6:36 a.m.

Maybe it's just me but there's very little that can scare me in electronic entertainment. I tried Dead Space and got used to it like I did with Doom III. (Games in space just can't cut it with me.) Seeing all those people driven out of their minds in Bioshock, however, still freaks me out, as does Condemned. (There's nothing better than smashing someone's skull with a sledgehammer.) Movies, aside from SAW and Ginger Snaps, have never been able to scare me. Urban horror is where horror should remain focused. Nothing is more frightening than something "in your own backyard", in my opinion.
  • F4ithy - November 8, 2008 7:59 a.m.

I think it is all about surrounding's like a previous comment said if your in a dark room on your own, volume UP and playing Dead Space then you gonna be a bit jumpy!!! to say the least lol
  • oRaNGhaZe - November 2, 2008 7:12 p.m.

as an answer to killdrones qeustion an adams family game back in the days of nes did and you could only get hit once to die
  • amorda - October 31, 2008 2:43 p.m.

I was genuinely in a state of panic and scared several times while playing Killer 7. There were situations where you could hear a creature approaching quickly and laughing. The fact that they were invisible and needed to be scanned, then shot, and you couldn't move really made for intense, frigthening times, at least for me. And that laugh always gets me.
  • Someone44 - October 31, 2008 12:30 a.m.

In some most cases video games are better than T.V. and other entertainment devices... but i think it is damn near impossable to top its quality. However i think people would be a bit more pissed off if they had restart if they died... more cautious? mabye, but not scared.
  • stick master - October 30, 2008 10:01 p.m.

this is so true it just isnt scary enough i prefer to stick to movies books and stories for being frietend
  • You - October 30, 2008 8:31 p.m.

While I think some good points are made in the article, I disagree with the premise. Nowadays, I get more goosebumps from scary games than from scary movies. The fact that you, the player, are the one moving through the setting makes a big difference, I think. Frankly, I blame games for desensitizing me to scary movies.
  • Madnus - October 30, 2008 8:28 p.m.

I don't agree. I ontain more adrenalin whit horror games like Silent Hill 1, Dino Crisis, Doom, that whit any horror movie or book.
  • zippypoppy - October 30, 2008 5:16 p.m.

i think games like resident evil are good for being scared cuz at one point or another you only have like 10 rounds and like 50 zombies, plus your trapped. But i agree that there really aren't any genuinely scary games anymore. Bioshock was pretty creepy the first time through and all the characters are messed up but after that first time you dont get nearly the thrill you did your first time through. I think killdrones idea is pretty good, a game you die, and go all the way back to the beginning.(or have the choice of playing that way). Of course there'd be a warning on the case or on commercials but it would bring back fear in games.
  • 8-bittramp - October 30, 2008 4:39 p.m.

I agree with Diamondis, fears are things developed over time and thus end up being every individualized. That being said, I don't find games particularly frightening but I will avoid clowns at any cost.
  • Corsair89 - October 30, 2008 2:40 p.m.

Sorry, the first sentence was supposed to say "...thirteen years ago when I was six." instead of "...thirteen when I was six." :P
  • Iffo - October 30, 2008 12:43 p.m.

Good article! There's one game that made me scream in my sleep - Manhunt 2. To be more precise it was a hacked version of the game where none of the kills were censored. The Wii controls helped the immersion a lot (despite all the bugs and shortcommings)... it kinda made ME feel like a hunted psycho. Weird stuff!
  • jimsondanet - October 30, 2008 12:33 p.m.

the problem is, is that your comparing games to movies and as we know few horror movies are actually scary there are a few good points but i disagree with immersion i believe games are just as, if not more immersive. think about it, have you ever read a book and suddenly realised your looking at nothing but words after words? i have, but ultimately it became irrelevent and i was immersed in fairy land again. games are a form of story telling thats interactive hence directly connecting user not only visualy and audio wise but physicaly aswell consistency between our reality and the game's is what will make our break the tension emotional desensitization due to repition will be why many are no longer scared chuck on some headfones and crank the volume to near painful levels, turn out the lights, sit reeeal close to the screen an play left 4 dead or what ever (unfamiliar and increased sensory input = increased emotional output) trust me gov you'll be packin more gruts faster than the factory they were made in
  • Sharp_Shooter - October 30, 2008 12:20 p.m.

A horror game has never been scary to me because it's what I expect when I pick one up- I expect to see the works in a type of game like this, so seeing blood and guts, monsters/zombies and death scenes isn't anything surprising- though once in a while, horror games do come up with something you kinda saw coming, but didn't know when it was coming...
  • Sash - October 30, 2008 8:52 a.m.

I really do think Condemned did well. The whole atmosphere of only having what you could find on the ground to attack the enemies, constantly in the dark and only a flashlight to see what is up ahead. Then you had the random psychological bits where the graphics started to grain over and you are not quite sure what is going to happen.
  • Jason.Darksavior - October 30, 2008 8:18 a.m.

Really good article... Its true, but horror games are still very fun and exciting.
  • dreamgor - October 30, 2008 7:05 a.m.

you forgot the meaningless in horror games overall i mean the highest goal in it is to get nightmares... anyone want nightmares ill pass ill stick to mmorpg