Topics

editorial

• TheCakeIsaPie - May 15, 2013 9:34 a.m.

What most people don't understand (including Hooters) is that knowing the story beforehand actually makes you enjoy it more. Read the opening sonnet of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." It gives away the ending in the first 20 seconds of the play. newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/11/spoiler-alert-knowing-the-end-of-a-story-makes-it-better-study-finds/
  • TheCakeIsaPie - May 16, 2013 1:17 p.m.

No, that's not what I'd find; nor would any other researcher. If you want to disagree with me because you think there's something wrong with the study, then please feel free to contradict it based on the results of another study, not with your own speculation. It's not fair to say "Sure, the study subjects cried out in pain when their arms were chopped off, but I don't think that sounds right because I'm smart. You're incorrect." Moviegoers are perfectly happy to watch movies based on books they've already read and enjoy the stories even though every facet is known to them beforehand.
  • KA87 - May 15, 2013 9:32 a.m.

While I agree that a lot of these trailers and different promotional stuff is really takeing a lot of the suprise out of games these days, I do think that for some games that it is at least good to have a little gameplay footage around to help those that are on the fence make an educated choice sense games are not cheap. Personally GR's gameplay footage from Dead Island Riptide really helped me with that choice because I was somewhat putoff by all of the 1st games bugs. If nothing else at least a little gameplay footage helps us to avoid the modern day Superman 64, Action 52, ET, Bible Games, and Back to the Future's of the world.
  • FunkyPickle - May 15, 2013 9:09 a.m.

I had the ending of Red Dead Redemption spoiled for me as well, but I didn't let that destroy the game for me. I still played through the whole story and loved every second of it. Actually seeing the ending was also a very different experience than just reading it.
  • DrFred79 - May 15, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I stopped watching every trailer that comes out. Turns out I'm enjoying my games and movies way more this way. Building expectations only leads to disappointment.
  • Drekner - May 15, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Heck, movies are doing this and have been doing this for a long time. I don't even know the name of the movie, but it was a four minute advertisement for a youtube video, and I was interested then slowly as the trailer went on, it felt like it was telling me all the plot points. Protagonist is called on by the worlds most wanted for no apparent reason, then the protagonists husband is tortured because of that and shes mad, and at this point, I stopped the trailer. I'm like "Well thanks trailer making people, I now know that the husband will be tortured and hospitalized when that would have been a very dramatic surprise." Personally I try and stay away from any trailers that aren't teaser, or gameplay trailers. Gameplay, to see if I like the way it seems to play and, teasers to get me hooked to the story just ever so slightly. In that regards, I never did watch that Revolution trailer, so, yes GamesRadar, finding Mexico when you don't know about it was pretty friggin' epic.
  • Bloodstorm - May 15, 2013 7:10 a.m.

Read Dead Redemption, it was like Rockstar was very insecure about the game they were making and felt they had to convince us to play it. I still consider it one of the best of the generation, but all those plot reveals weeks before the games release definitely lessened it's impact on me, and totally ruined the multiplayer which it hyped up to levels beyond what it actually offered. RDR is the reason I now avoid most trailers for games aside from a reveal trailer or launch trailer. I avoided about everything from Bioshock Infinite, and I guess that paid off because I was genuinely surprised by most everything in the game. I equate this period in game advertising to where movie ads were in the '90s. Every comedy movie in the '90s was advertised using the movies best jokes, leaving nothing to laugh at when watching the movie. Ever action movie showed the best scenes, every commercial revealed the whole plot and twist. Most movie commercials are remarkably vague today, almost to a point where they don't draw interest to the movie, but it is the price to pay for also not killing the movie where it stands by leaving your audience with nothing to be surprised by. Gaming will have to go through that (and maybe Square would have turned a profit if they were paying for all those ridiculously expensive adverts).
  • Bloodstorm - May 15, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Love how GR website turned my wall structured post into one giant wall of text. Do you guys have something against multiple paragraphs?
  • KA87 - May 15, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Yeah, I even tried extra spaces, but that did not work. Kind of like GR's techies that seem to never be able to fix this problem despite it happening on and off for months.
  • Corsair89 - May 15, 2013 7:08 a.m.

When I'm excited for a game, I want to go in knowing as little as possible. It's for this reason that I have a VERY strict limit on the information I consume for a game I want. I'll watch the debut trailer and that's about it. I won't read features. I won't read updates. I won't watch trailers. I won't look at screenshots. I won't read previews. I won't play demos. And I'll very briefly glance at a review from trusted sources. If I hype myself up, I am almost always disappointed. I was so excited for Bioshock Infinite, that I broke my rule about a week before release and I can honestly say I wish I hadn't. Some things that would've been magnificent upon first discovery where cheapened because I saw it before in some feature. I remember way back when I went to see the second Harry Potter film with my friends, afterward one of them bragged about how he watched so many features that he knew exactly what was going to happen and when in the movie, going on and on and on. To which I replied, "then why did you come see the movie? You clearly already saw it."
  • Imgema - May 15, 2013 6:50 a.m.

And this is why i loved gaming magazines more than the internet as you only had a handful of information each month. In the end you were both excited to see some new screenshots as you rushed to buy the magazine and then play the game afterwards. Today you are hardly excited for any of those 2.
  • Memph - May 15, 2013 4:22 p.m.

Spot on. This is a whole other nail that the article missed I reckon. We're so drowned in pre-release videos and teaser trailers and announcements of announcements of trailers that by the game actually shows up noone really cares anymore. Also there's the inevitable backlash when the game fails, even if it's by mere inches, to meet up to the relentless dick-waving of the marketeers. "Publishers are increasingly new-media-savvy". I'm inclined to disagree completely on this point - a constant bombardment of announcements, adverts, previews, dlc abuse and stupid pre-order offers is anything but savvy. It's just obnoxious.
  • antiAntag0nist - May 15, 2013 6:38 a.m.

In retrospect, I'm glad I avoided all of the promotional material for Bioshock Infinite. Everything that was mentioned in the article would have killed it for me. I have learned to avoid trailers and features for games that I want to play in recent years. I feel that Garrus & Tali coming back in Mass Effect 2 would have been more meaningful had Bioware not revealed it prior to release. I watched a few videos for Halo Reach that had playthroughs of some of the missions; shouldn't have watched those either.
  • taokaka - May 15, 2013 6:24 a.m.

I only got into following games from reveal to launch in the last few years but I slowed down after I had a good 95% of uncharted 3 spoiled for me due to sony revealing just about every setting, plot point and set piece in the game. The game that broke the camels back though was journey, every reviewer cracked up meeting a person in game as being a life changing event because they had no idea they were real people at first however every previewer (including gamesradar) spoiled this for me, so no amazing epiphany for me. Although I am probably taking it a bit overboard now, Tales of Xillia is a must by for me however I have never seen a trailer for it and my decision is based entirely due on the first batch of concept art revealed like 2-3 years ago.
  • ncurry2 - May 15, 2013 5:42 a.m.

Couldn't agree more. Happened to me with twilight princess back when the wii came out. It took me 3 weeks to finally nab one of my own at which point I already knew all the dungeons and most of the weapons and boss fights that lay ahead of me. After that, I decided that for games I am super excited about and know ill get regardless, I only allow myself to watch the reveal trailer and then I completely ignore anything else about it. It's what I did with bio shock infinite so I had no idea about the time travel stuff or any of the characters. It made the discovery of these things all the better.
  • db1331 - May 15, 2013 6 a.m.

This was Ocarina of Time for me, but worse. I was on vacation with family in Chicago at the time. The game wasn't going to be out for another couple of weeks, but I found a strategy guide in an EB Games at some mall. I bought it and read it cover to cover multiple times. I looked at it on the entire flight home. What a fucking IDIOT. I do the same thing as you now. I didn't even know the release dates for Majora's Mask or Windwaker. I just placed a preorder and one day got a call that it was available for pickup. That's how I knew the game came out. I looked at just about all of the Skyrim promotional stuff, just because I couldn't resist. Same thing with the Dark Souls II demo, but from here on out I am avoiding all news of that as well.