Topics

Nintendo TVii

• zombi3grim - September 16, 2012 9:04 p.m.

The days of your console only being made to play games and the focus soley on games is over. The sooner people realize that the better time they'll have adjusting to new tech. Otherwise, their going to end up like the senior citizens who still dont know how to use a 90s webcam... Im excited for this. Like BladedFalcoln said, I also watch shows that you pretty much have to pay constant attention to, but Im not averse to pausing every now and then and checking out extra features. Or possibly features after the episode is over. This doesnt seem to work well with shows like Dexter or Supernatural, unless again, you check out the extras after the show. But with American Idol or any other kind of reality tv, like Ghost Hunters and Discovery Channel or History Channel, I can REALLY see this being very usefull.
  • Alkaid - September 16, 2012 8:50 p.m.

Remember the days when game consoles...well played games? I miss those times.
  • TheMariner - September 16, 2012 9:12 p.m.

Because they don't play games anymore, right?
  • SpiritTemple - September 17, 2012 12:31 a.m.

^This.
  • Dan3791 - September 16, 2012 8:01 p.m.

Wow, Nintendo is on top... for now. I'm not surprised to see that the wii u's wii tvii will be the most up-to-date media outlet around... but come on... isn't it a bit too late. Once the new PlayStation and/or the next Xbox come out Nintendo will, again, fall behind (at least for core gamers). Side note... ps vital can do the whole control the menu thing with the ps3 system.
  • KnowYourPokemon - September 17, 2012 2:04 p.m.

It's not really late. And I don't get this whole idea that since the WiiU came out first it's doomed to be behind in every way shape or form. The 360 came out first of it's generation and of course it had the red ring issue but otherwise it didn't fall behind once the other systems came out by any means.
  • Fuzunga - September 16, 2012 7:05 p.m.

I wonder if you can use the controller screen to watch TV. Now THAT would be cool.
  • BladedFalcon - September 16, 2012 6:36 p.m.

Well, it sounds interesting, to be sure, although no matter how you try to sell it, whatever the WiiPad screen might be showing while I'm watching a TV show, i don't want to distract myself with it. When i watch a show, I focus on the show, not on checking polls or playing minigames. Imagine how that would work, watching shows such as Breaking Bad XD Of course, that is just my very personal take on it, and because I watch mostly shows that are meant to be paid constant attention to, and not stuff like reality TV shows or contest shows, to which I suppose it could make for an interesting new addition, but again, not for me.
  • Corn - September 16, 2012 8:42 p.m.

They already have that for Breaking Bad, the Story Sync, and it's been a major push for them this past 8 episodes. So Breaking Bad is pretty much the single worst example you could have used, because the people want you to be answering polls and stuff like this while watching it.
  • BladedFalcon - September 16, 2012 9:01 p.m.

Just because they are doing it for the show, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. And if you noticed, i as speaking for myself, not other people. When i want to watch the show, i wanna get into it, and not distract myself with trivia at the same time, which is something I could do later if I wanted to.
  • garnsr - September 16, 2012 10:47 p.m.

I like getting trivia while I'm watching, myself. These all sound like things that are bandied about whenever any of the platforms start talking about the amazing things their system will do, but none of them end up doing many of the special operations they promise, and so far Nintendo's been the worst at following up on promising additions. I guess at some point someone has to actually put all these obvious uses of the technology we have now into use, though.
  • Larinah - September 16, 2012 6:32 p.m.

This feature alone is making me a day-one purchaser. I can't wait to have a system that actually *works* as an entertainment hub!
  • RonnyLive19881 - September 16, 2012 4:08 p.m.

Rofl, smart glass will fail harder than Kinect.
  • shawksta - September 16, 2012 3:48 p.m.

I really don't care about Media Services, I own game systems for games and interactions about games, im just not a "Hey let's watch/listen to music on your console" person, Good for Nintendo on TVii and what you think about it being better or what not, im probably not gonna use it, just like I barely used half the things on my 360 that were unnecessary media stuff
  • yonderTheGreat - September 16, 2012 2:46 p.m.

So... TVii is going to live up to the potential of SmartGlass?
  • TheMariner - September 16, 2012 9:16 p.m.

In terms of how it integrates the tablet with the console to augment what you're watching, yes. However SmartGlass has a slight advantage in that the Wii U Gamepad cannot operate without the Wii U.
  • onetimebuster - September 16, 2012 2:17 p.m.

As long as i can play games im happy.