• db1331 - February 15, 2012 8:59 a.m.

I really don't understand how people who claim to love games don't play primarily on PC. Whether it's something like Skyrim, where a PC gets you crisper graphics, AA, HDR, HD textures, more than double the frame rate, no load screens, and then on top of all that, mods, or something like CoD or BF3, where just a mouse ALONE makes the game so much better, never mind the graphical improvements or dedicated servers. Then there's the price of the games. Sales on PC are incredible. I waited a month to buy Arkham City and got it for $25. We even get freebies. EA gave me Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2 for free, just for pre-ordering BF3, which I was going to do anyway. So that really throws the "PC gaming is more expensive" argument right out the window. If you play enough games, it will pay for itself. Doesn't everyone have a PC in their house anyway? Why not spend another $250 and make it one that can play all your favorite games? Almost anyone can get a line of credit at Newegg, and pay off a PC for probably half the cost of their cell phone bill each month. The only guys who spend a couple hundred bucks every year upgrading are the ones who absolutely have to have the best components. I built my PC around 3 years ago for something like $800. Last September I bought a $225 video card because I wanted to be able to max out BF3 and Skyrim. My old card would have handled them on high more than fine, but with the hundreds of hours I would spend in each game, I knew I would more than get my money's worth out of the new card. By all means, keep your consoles around for things like Uncharted, Zelda, Mario, or Dark Souls. But if you're playing something on a console that you could be playing on a PC, you're only hurting yourself. I don't know how much the 720 or PS4 will cost, but if you don't have a PC, and you go and drop $300-$400 on a new console, you are an absolute fool. To give you some perspective, the 720 won't be out for almost 2 years. Even if it came out tomorrow, it would still be around 3 years behind your average PC.
  • BladedFalcon - February 15, 2012 9:29 a.m.

"People who don't do what I do are idiots" What a nice mentality, you are sure to be such a joy at parties :P
  • Maverik770 - February 15, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Great post db1331!! I couldn't possibly agree mroe with you on all of the points you hit on here! Great reply, check mine out, we have a lot of the same arguments going for PC. ;)
  • ObliqueZombie - February 15, 2012 12:07 p.m.

It seems to me that the "Superior PC community" is really a bunch of self-righteous assholes who claim "they're better than their console counterparts" simply because their rocks look a bit better. You're an asshole, db1331, and you're the kind of scum that ruins our already-failing gaming "community." Can't you understand that consoles STILL look great, even through your spoiled eyes? Can't you understand people just simply can't afford to buy a gaming rig? Can't you understand that gaming is fucking gaming, no matter system you fucking play on? Get your head out of your ass, you'll do yourself a favour.
  • db1331 - February 15, 2012 12:25 p.m.

You're just a butt-hurt dumbass with poor reading comprehension. I've never once claimed to be better than someone who only games on consoles. I've said several times that the PC is a better platform, which is not an opinion, but reality. As I've said, I have two consoles (3 if you want to count my 3DS) that I enjoy for their own merits. I don't need to have shiny graphics to enjoy a game. I just finished Skyward Sword, which looked like a jaggy, watercolor turd, but I still enjoyed most of it. But if I can have a game that is fun to play and looks amazing at the same time, why wouldn't I? Console games don't look great. Some look good, but none look great. You only think they do, because you are sitting 15-20 feet from the TV. It's like when you see a girl walking toward you on the street, and she looks really good from far away. Then she comes close, and she's not as pretty as you thought. Next time you fire up that Xbox, go take a close look at your TV. See how your character's outline looks jagged enough to saw down a tree? We don't have that on PC. We are sitting 2-3 feet from our games, eying them down with the utmost scrutiny, and they still look beautiful.
  • ObliqueZombie - February 19, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Under what "fact" do console games look bad? I'm sorry, but you're ignorant and blind to think that console games look bad--and not just "most of them." Butt-hurt? No, and I'm not even sure that's a legitimate adjective to use, so nice try. I'm very upset that people like you throw your opinions around and claim them as absolute fact. You're sitting behind a computer screen preaching to everyone that, somehow, PC gaming is better. Why? Because the textures are better and the... the gameplay is... different. Oh wait, it's not? Jump is still jump and attack is still attack? And what's that, the story is still the same and we get the same items/guns/locations? Ahh, that's right: PC isn't better. The graphics may be, and the mods are cool as fuck, but just because you spend 1,000s of dollars to play games doesn't make it better, it just makes it slightly more impressive on the person who either bought (or was a good boy and convinced his parents) the gaming rig in the first place. Get. Your. Head. Out. Of. Your. Ass. No one likes someone who puts themselves on a high pedestal. Your's may be the biggest I've ever seen, too.
  • Dat Uber - February 15, 2012 12:43 p.m.

My best gaming memories come from the pc: Playing SW:Battlefront on an old XP. Trying to survive in AoE2. Learning the ropes of TF2. My worst come from consoles of this generation: Raging on CoD (all of them). Paying good cash just to play games online (after paying for a tv in the pc room). Total cost of Pc: $800 including at least 15 games and upgrades. Total cost of Wii and 360: $1800 including 20 disk and 4 download games. It would be more if I bought a xbox live subscription.
  • ObliqueZombie - February 19, 2012 10:38 a.m.

That's a bit of an unfair price estimation, and for a few reason: 1) If you spent $800 flat on 15 games AND a gaming rig, I'm not so sure you actually bought a great computer. In fact, you may be forgetting to include the computer at all! $800 in UPGRADES and 15 games is still a lot of money. 2) You're including two consoles and more games, so there's a severely overwhelming price compared to the PC. 3) You're boiling down consoles to two games: Call of Duty and Call of Duty. You're forgetting the gems like Gears of War, Dark Souls, Halo CEA (and 3, I guess), and maybe Soul Calibur V. 4) Let's be honest, like I stated in point 1 above, if you're gonna want a gaming rig that can pay games like Arkham City, Rage, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim (plus mods), $800 is what you'll need--for upgrades. That's not the mention simply buying the PC. If it was a desktop, $1000 or less could cut it. But if you're a college kid, like me, and can't afford to lug it around, you'll want a laptop--$1000 minimum, $3000 if you're insane. Alas, you make some good points.
  • Longnuts - February 15, 2012 8:55 a.m.

The picture of Gabe and the caption made me laugh.
  • Scoob - February 15, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Good Manowar reference. The only part that is expensive about PC gaming is the entry cost. A new rig that can play the latest games runs about $1,200. Where consoles catch up in cost is the games. It's been a few months since I've tallied it up, but my spending on my Xbox 360 + games and peripherals was a few hundred more than my PC spending, but I have more PC games (this is between the period of 2007-late 2011 when I got my Xbox). If I decided to include the Wii and PS3 into that, then my console spending is that much more.
  • Memph - February 15, 2012 6:20 p.m.

That cost is way, way over the mark squire. For your consideration: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,review-32343.html Granted, if you want BF3 with every setting on Ultra at 1920 res with both MSAA and FXAA maxed, then you will need a less than modest beast of a graphics card (like a 560ti), but even that only pushes the cost up by a couple hundred. Over a grand spent it's either a monster rig (arguably needlessly so for an average user, as prices only ever go down as tech improves), or you're paying for a logo on the case.
  • shawksta - February 15, 2012 8:33 a.m.

David,awesome points but you do realize PC gaming is still awesome and above consoles, and no matter how better consoles get, the PC is technically a better machine, the only problem is how Consoles are getting more attention, and have more things, but thats not to say PC/Steam cant make its own. I added "PC" as a new addition to my Multigamer status and i can see why PC gamers think this cause its true. Im sticking with everything, I dont care, Handheld, consoles, PC, ill just play the version that seems convienient. PC's definitly sticking around as much as Nintendo is till gaming dies. Also, your argument about developers getting frustrated is only half true, its a challenge all devs have to face and to people like Miyamoto, who LOVES his job, its just a stress moment they'll figure out. "Then again, I'll probably change my mind about all of this as soon as I see an HD Mario game running. We shall see, friends, we shall see." HAH, that made my day
  • Mooshon - February 15, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Great read that Dave. It's been a pretty annoying issue for me this one. I was predominantly a PC gamer for the majority of my life but made the switch the other way a few years ago. I just got absolutely fed up with the constant shifting of the game spec goalposts. Almost every new game turned it up a notch. My latest rig was a gaming pc (for work, #cough) with the best of everything and enjoyed literally 6 months of 'Ultra' graphic setting greatness. For me there is nothing more ass clenchingly irritating than that moment when you realise your pc can't get the best out of the game you just bought. Consoles gaming may have less creativity, customisation or the very latest tech but I now happily forgo all that for the ability to play 'all' new games as they were intended. In an ideal world XBL and PSN would simply be made more open platforms and indie devs given room to breath. Come the revolution...
  • ObliqueZombie - February 15, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Not a bad article, with lots of valid points. But still, I won't shy away from console gaming. In fact, I'm going to be a true gamer and support as many developers as I can, especially if it's a console-exclusive one. Sorry, but I'm still a Halo/Gears of War fan, and I don't plan on giving up my console to forgo the chance of playing the console-exclusive gems I love. And PC gaming? I'm all for it, but I just CAN'T do it. I CAN'T spend that kind of money on it. Why? Because I'm a broke college student who can't spend over $500 to upgrade my graphics card, processor, and router. I just can't. Would I want to? Of course, but until every game ever created can be put on the PC, it's not worth it to play a few PC-exclusive indie games. That said, I love me a controller pad in my hand. It feels MUCH better for games like Deus Ex or what have you. But, it doesn't matter much, because I can simply plug in my controller and play my game from there. Still, I'll be looking into upgrading/buying a gaming PC in the future. I don't exactly agree that console games are forever going to be a place of multiplayer and unoriginal games, but I do agree that PC gaming, while a little more frustrating to manage, can offer developers more freedom and offer me amazing mods created my communities. P.s.: Let's not turn this into a flame war, okay? We're a gaming community, and we should be looking out for each other. No one is better than the other. If you think that much, delete your account and get the fuck out of anything that has to do with games ever again.
  • shawksta - February 15, 2012 8:37 a.m.

I feel you man, Im a Nintendo Fan at heart but im still a Multigamer, hopefully you can get the money to improve your graphics card. I dont know about you, but Team fortress 2 for me, FOREVER MOUSE AND KEYBOARD,I love the control scheme and while controller's feel convienient, im sticking with MandK, it FEELS better for me atleast, but im talking about TF2, other games are a different story.
  • gilgamesh310 - February 15, 2012 8:21 a.m.

H emakes some good points, but I don't see how Dear Esther could ever be lauded as a masterpiece on a console. It's not even a game AT ALL!
  • BrunDeign - February 15, 2012 8:19 a.m.

You mentioned Nintendo maybe twice in this article, and only once was it for bashing. And even then that poor online format that Nintendo had this generation is being switched up for something completely different. If it were to allow things like Steam and Origin, wouldn't that make your point completely moot? It seems to me that you can't find that much criticism for Nintendo. At the very least, you can't find much criticism that falls in line with what this article is about. Seriously you only gave reasons for us to abandon the next Sony and Microsoft consoles.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - February 15, 2012 8:35 a.m.

A fair point. I was conscious of that when I was writing it actually. The thing is, until the direction of the Wii U is proven, Nintendo is a bit of an unknown. It has so far opted out of the current-gen console race and the business models that has entailed. That said, the Wii has been a disaster for third parties, given how the marketing has been driven almost entirely towards first-party and casual games. I can see the Wii U most likely either going the same way or becoming the same sort of ecosystem as the current HD machines. It's true, it could come out with a whole new way or approaching game delivery on a console, but Nintendo's disastrous attempts at online stores so far (and seeming preference to pass the buck of online infrastructure responsibility to third-parties) doesn't have me holding out much hope.
  • shawksta - February 15, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Not exactly, David has found and stated ALLOT of things wrong with Nintendo in other articles, faults,horrible choices, and unfair things,but this article is for something completely different that he cant critisize Nintendo yet cause apparently there's still more for it then we know, and frankly, they're the ones coming up with new things to add to gaming, and his critism for Sony and Microsoft is based on what we expect them to do.
  • MCBadong - February 15, 2012 8:09 a.m.

Console Gaming PROS: Insert disk/Run File and play immediately. Lower risk of piracy. CONS: Graphics are limited by what the console can do. DLC can be a pain in the ass. Upgrading to next gen requires large budget. What this article said: Small market and survivability for casual games. Console exclusives force players to purchase one of each platform just to play. Often expensive peripherals necessary. Absolute or near absolute lack of moddability by normal users. Interestingly, by contrast: PC Gaming PROS: Graphics can be adjusted to match your video card. DLC is not as much of a pain. Upgrading to next generation can be done with piece by piece upgrade. What this article said: Huge market and survivability for casual games. What works for one PC works for any PC with virtually same specs. Any keyboard + Any mouse = Good to go!. Available moddability by normal users, and even if it isn't moddable, chances are PC users will soon find a way to mod it. CONS: Higher potential for piracy. Installation procedures can be a pain for new users. Your Honor, I rest my case. PC Gaming FTW. FUCK CONSOLES.
  • ThePrivateer - February 15, 2012 8:32 a.m.

You forgot how expensive PCs are in the cons list, bud. What's so bad about consoles to make you say "FUCK CONSOLES"?