We Recommend

• duncanainsworth - August 8, 2012 2:02 p.m.

As much as I enjoyed this game and think that is the best in the the series I don't think it's the best game ever made
  • Witha3 - August 8, 2012 2:01 p.m.

"...And the space racism." Stopped reading here.
  • pimlicosound - August 9, 2012 2:05 a.m.

I assumed Hollander had his tongue in his cheek as he wrote this, because the racism amongst the different races is such an important part of the game it would be ridiculous to have hated it while having still having any love for the series. It would be like saying, "You know, I loved Mass Effect, except for those bits where the humans and turians don't get along, and the krogan hate the salarians, and the quarians had a bit of a quarrel with the Geth. It was the other things that made it great - the guns, and the blue alien strippers."
  • Golddav3 - August 8, 2012 1:19 p.m.

The link to "cuttlefish" on page 1 xD
  • lazer59882 - August 8, 2012 1:16 p.m.

this game for me is just like GTAIV, in that while i was playing it i enjoyed the hell out of it, thought it was the best game ever, and completed every side mission i could find. in retrospect though, with both games, my brain tells me they were huge failures, and huge steps backwards for their respective series'. ME2 gutted all of the RPG elements from the original, and when that proved successful financially, bioware went and stripped hardcore RPG elements out of all their series. not only did ME2 set the mass effect series on a downward path, it set bioware on one. i never made it through mass effect 3, after playing the first game 3 times and the second once. i guess it's a problem with most sequels, it's less about making a great, ambitious game, and more about fixing the first game's mistakes. i just recently went back and started replaying KOTOR, and was blown away at how far bioware has strayed from their roots. mass effect 2 isn't even the best game in it's series, let alone in the bioware gameography, and nevermind of all time. (same goes for GTAIV, and rockstar)
  • lazer59882 - August 8, 2012 1:22 p.m.

ps - for a hardcore RPG completionist, there was nothing remotely suicidal about the "suicide" mission. it kind of sucked that the dramatic tension was killed for everyone except those people who don't do every side mission. and oh yeah, mass effect isn't star wars, star wars is star wars.
  • aberkromby - August 8, 2012 1:08 p.m.

I never really cared for Mass Effect. I played the demo (for mass effect and 3) on ps3, and just found the gameplay to be very.... average.
  • blasian89 - August 8, 2012 3:01 p.m.

It's really not about the gameplay though. It's more about the story, the universe they created and the characters that the players invest in. And there are a lot of great characters, difficult moral decisions and epic story moments. I really hope you reconsider giving it a 2nd try. They should be relatively cheap to buy nowadays.
  • aberkromby - August 8, 2012 7:28 p.m.

Maybe I will, I dunno. It doesn't help that I'm a ps3 gamer, so I never did and probably never will get to play the first game, so I missed out on the hype-filled introduction of the series. ME2 is around $20 (for 'Mericans like me) at gamestop last I checked. Given that space-marine corridor shooter/RPGs aren't usually my thing anyways, I might wait for it to drop a bit more.
  • fatguy19 - August 8, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Agreed. The combat was far superior and and the weapons and side quests were far more varied.
  • Desann - August 8, 2012 12:51 p.m.

Totally. Mass Effect 2 is... yeah, my favorite game. Ever.
  • Acerlux - August 8, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Agreed. For me, Mass Effect is at its best when its exploring its characters and universe. ME2 did this better than either of the other games, so even with the lackluster customization elements compared to 1 and the weaker combat than 3, this is the best in the series and my favorite game ever.
  • FellowHerbivore - August 8, 2012 4:07 p.m.

I totally agree. Such a beautiful game everything about it is pitch perfect, and I had 0 problems with it.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - August 8, 2012 12:34 p.m.

This is definitely my favorite out of the series.