• rcarrasco121 - June 21, 2013 1:50 p.m.

The Last of Us is a great game with a beautifully executed story, but in my mind it had some major problems. Towards the ending in the winter segment when we take control over Ellie, we're supposed to believe that this 14 year old is able to outrun 150 grown men who've got guns because of her horse. And when her horse is taken away she has the power to not only kill dozens of infected clickers, but another dozen grown men? Not only that, but numerously during my play through, Ellie or any other ally, would run into enemies while I was in stealth mode and not tigger an alarm. The one thing I appreciated the most about Bioshock Infinite was that it put the companion in believable situations. She never was on the front lines of a combat situation, shooting a rifle, or stabbing grown men twice her size. And even without demonstrating violence, Anna Dewitt was still able to come across as a strong secondary character.
  • obviouslyadouche - June 21, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Would you rather the allies alarm enemies despite the fact you did nothing wrong? A story doesn't have to be believable for it to be mature, It's also pretty hard to hit something going that fast with a pistol, or any gun, let alone the smaller target of a child especially with limited ammunition. Nice spoilers for Infinite too.
  • rcarrasco121 - June 21, 2013 5:28 p.m.

For me, a mature game is somethng that has to be believable. I am not saying realistic, I am saying believable. A mature game could take place inside a purple marshmallow inhabited by tiny gnomes. Naughty Dog obviously went to great lengths to convey the idea that this is what could happen In a world where a deadly virus spreads and mankind is forced to adapt to a life it isn't used to. And having a companion whose running into enemy AI without any repercussions, or a 14 year old defeating an entire town full of armed adults, pulls you out of that.
  • Mcfluffan - June 21, 2013 9:17 p.m.

I feel like part of the reason she was able to kill all those men was the fact that she was a kid and the fact she had been with Joel for months by then. She learned by example through Joel that's how she gained the skills to 'survive'. The more prominent reason, which I believe, is that despite being cold hardened survivors, those men are still human and I feel there would be some hesitation (even just a second) in trying to kill her, and that hesitation leads to their death, and would yours if you hesitated to kill other survivors. The having Ellie run into the sights of an enemy without any repercussions, that is a valid, but I never felt disconnected too much, cause I was more worried about not dying haha. This is all just my opinion, so you are welcome to disagree!
  • rcarrasco121 - June 22, 2013 5:34 a.m.

No, actually you make a good point. The problem for me being so cynical, I guess, is that I'm not in the right mind set. I'm thinking too deep into it, rather than just letting everything happen and fully immersing myself in the moment.
  • Bloodstorm - June 22, 2013 5:51 a.m.

I understand the AI partners thing, but it is just something that is unavoidable for now. I noticed it even in Bioshock Infinite of which you gave the example. There were plenty of time Elizabeth went running through a fire fight (or ran right in front of a Handyman) and I just had to shrug it off. AI is still something that is hard to do, and most of the time, Elli was right behind you and took cover right there with you. One of these days, AI will be sophisticated enough, but right now it's better they follow you close instead of getting stuck behind you because you moved through an area too fast and the AI couldn't keep up. As for Elli taking out the Hunters, I thought that was an excellent part of the game. You couldn't go about it in the same way as Joel, because you would be over powered by the larger adults. You had to sneak, be stealthy and take them out one by one. I felt, at least, that Elli was definitely underpowered compared to Joel in her parts of the game, and it really forced in the stealth mechanics to be effective with her.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Except... you're not really criticizing the story, you're criticizing a minor game-play element that never really affects the story, and that had they not done it that way, you'd have thousands of people raving and bitching about the AI being terrible and getting in the way all the time and making you get spotted let and right >_> No one said the game was perfect, or that the game-play made perfect sense. In the game they put dozens of enemies chasing after Ellie to make the gameplay more fun and/or last longer. Story-wise, you could have just believed that she could have outrun a more realistic gang of say, 8 or even 12 bandits. Which is realistically what the story itself implies the gang would be made of. I mean, i can understand the nitpicks, but you're asking of the developers to remove or modify gameplay elements that as the current state of gaming stands, would make the gameplay all the worse or frustrating for it.
  • duane-cotton - August 30, 2013 4:21 a.m.

I don't see why Ellie being 14, taking on hordes of enemies should take you out of the experience or make the game seem less believable. She was highly skilled with a riffle by the time we control her. Even David commended her on that. She was already proficient with a bow and arrow before she even met Joel and was accurate with a hand gun after meeting him. She would have seen him making bombs, medikits and Molotov cocktails. She was more skillful than David's men. Did you even play the game. I mean seriously if you think about where she has been and what she had been through by that point of the story David's men would be a piece off piss to deal with. They weren't highly trained, you don't need to be to be a cannibal as stated by the cannibals in the walking dead universe since human prey is the easiest to catch. In the same way Rick's people in the walking dead universe are more capable than most of the people they meet because of how they've lived and the threats they've dealt with Ellie is more dangerous to David's people than they are to her. She is underestimated and seen as a regular little girl because they don't know her story or back ground. She has speed as an advantage. She has spent nearly a year on the road dodging clickers bandits and the military not living in cosy houses like David's people and she was tooled up with a bow,various guns and bombs. when you consider the skill in addition to her size, speed and elusiveness her survival in David's town is not so unlikely.
  • shinkeiDEI - June 22, 2013 9:38 p.m.

Having the AI buddy not trigerring the hostile AI was a design decision, it would be really frustrating and unfair otherwise.
  • bebl09 - June 23, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it was a bit jarring the first time I saw it happen, but I immediately thought that it would've just pissed me off if your AI companions could set off enemies cause it would've been almost impossible to stay in stealth haha.
  • ObliqueZombie - June 21, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Thanks for the spoiler alert, Mr. Houghton. I wish I could read this, but first, I must play this amazing piece of awesome.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Yes you do!
  • Bloodstorm - June 21, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Couldn't agree with you more. I thought Bioshock Infinite got pretty close to being that game that we all tell fables about, the game that legitimizes gaming as a medium that can tell stories at the same artistic qualities as movies and books. The Last of Us made me see Bioshock Infinite for some of the complaints people had about it, like the combat being so detached from the narrative. The Last of Us is truly brilliant in it's execution. Every encounter has weight to it in a way that feels like it is at place in the narrative. The world is a brutal place where you have to struggle to get by, and combat provided that same theme. It didn't jar you out of the narrative, it enhanced it, and that is truly the biggest obstacle it overcame. It hit me in the feels right in the beginning, and it kept doing so through out the game. I enjoyed a lot of the character interaction, and hated people I was supposed to hate. It was really an experience I've never had in a video game.
  • shinkeiDEI - June 22, 2013 9:46 p.m.

I agree with you sir, and keep in mind that Bioshock Infiinite is still my favorite game this gen (for personal reasons). Although both games being some of the best examples of gaming ever, I consider The Last of Us the antithesis of Boishock Infinite, both brilliant games based on different narrative, game design, gameplay and aesthetical factors. As an example, the ending, Bioshosck Infinite is a 20+ minutes of infodump and exposition while the Last of Us is ambigous and lack of any information, all the exposition done at the beginning and middle acts.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Pretty much agree with this as well. I loved Bioshock Infinite, and i personally don't really care if the narrative is that disconnected from the gameplay. But well, Bioshock infinite DID have some important plot-holes that weren't really explained. And it's a game that does bank a lot of it's story's punch to a big shocker of a twist. And yes, they also tend to have a TON of exposition and explanations which are nice and kinda necessary... But in contrast, Last of Us doesn't rely in a plot twist, but instead treats every single part of it's story as crucial and important, the beginning is just as important as the ending and the whole journey and characters that connect it all together. Although most of it is interesting, there a a TON of parts in Bioshock's infinite narrative that isn't entirely crucial or important to the whole arc. And because of it, the whole part involving Finkton and ShantyTown feels meandering. Both are amazing games, and I normally tend to like games with big ideas like Boshock: infinite better. But TLOUS deeply personal and expertly crafted story just won me over.