• Rhymenocerous - June 22, 2013 1:56 a.m.

Yeah, The Last of Us is possibly the most truly adult (as opposed to the usual adolescent) story since Silent Hill 2. Also, in terms of pure game mechanics, the in-game inventory management is quite a ballsy move for such a big-budget AAA game these days. I applaud you Naughty Dog (and Sony for that matter).
  • Rhymenocerous - June 22, 2013 2:04 a.m.

Whoaaaahhhhh..... I forgot about The Walking Dead (by TellTale I mean, not the Activision fps). The only game ever to actually make manly tears run down my face.
  • PatHan-bHai - June 23, 2013 3:50 a.m.

Wait till you play To The Moon.
  • duane-cotton - August 30, 2013 3:32 a.m.

I was more moved by TLOU than I was the telltale walking dead game to be honest. Just the opening prologue alone nearly caused tears, then the Tess scene because she was lik trinity in Matrix and had showed me how to play the game, then Henry and Sam and the parts of the story when I thought Joel and Ellie were dead. The fact that the game felt so real and the people in that world did through the use of dorm room photos and letters etc.
  • theguyinthecloset - June 22, 2013 12:56 a.m.

what about The Darkness? (I didn't play the second one thought so I'm talking of only the first one.)
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Nope, the darkness had a very mature, very emotional and well done arc with that certain character, but the rest of the game wasn't really mature at all in the sense that all of it came down to brutally murdering mafia goons with cool alien tentacles. It's definitely still a great game, just not example of mature storytelling you seem to think it is.
  • theguyinthecloset - June 25, 2013 9:50 p.m.

after each mission you can see more and more madness until the last level where you kill at least 30% of the people in the whole game which is when the main character's psyche breaks down and he loses it and goes on an unstopable rampage and gives in to his inner demon. Although the shootout at the old lady's house was just a lot of murder JUST to move the plot ahead. also I just though of Enslaved which the story is mature throughout it and the violence is against killer robots. The chracters would unlikely produce such violence if it was people.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 10:57 p.m.

But the thing about the darkness is that they don't properly explore Jackie's position in a way that really matters. The darkness trough most of the game feels honestly more of an excuse to simply go "cool! I have power that let me tear goons to pieces!" And there's really no sense or consequence for all the killing he makes, aside from the obvious "yeah he's turning into a psychopath" which is what anyone would assume after all the killing he's done. As for enslaved... My main problem with the game is that while the characters ARE very well realized... The story isn't really that mature, or significant for that matter. And the game's ending ultimately feels like it was done for the sake of being "shocking" but doesn't resonate with the overall plot at all. And salve still falls prey to a lot of "videogamey" conventions. Please understand, not bashing either of these two games, since I played and loved both of them a lot. And I do agree that they both have very mature themes... Just not cobbled together in a cohesive way as TLOUS has done.
  • theguyinthecloset - June 25, 2013 9:51 p.m.

after each mission after her death and 1 or 2 before*
  • flipped100 - June 21, 2013 10:05 p.m.

Fantastic piece, although I agree with most of your points, I'm afraid I have to disagree with that bit about the ending. For me, the ending left a really bitter taste in my mouth. I just felt it was too abrupt and unsatisfying at all (although i should note, that's how I usually feel about all of Naughty Dog's endings, especially the Uncharted series). The Last of Us' narrative was truly one of the most beautiful experiences I have in my life and going through the game, I expected a more grander and more satisfying ending. I actually agree with keeping the ending open and ambiguous, but (SPOILER ALERT) that last shot of Ellie's face with some sort of ungrateful and stoic expression pissed me off. I just saved your ass, you could be a little more grateful... or happy? IDK what I was really expecting, but I certainly wasn't expecting that from Ellie. And I was also pissed off with Joel for lying to her (but looking back, I did understand this reasons). But then again, maybe that's what makes TLOU great, then it really questions your beliefs and the choices you made.
  • Cyberhero18 - June 22, 2013 4:10 a.m.

Why should Ellie be grateful? That was the point she was making to Joel at the end. She and her friend Riley were both bitten and decided to wait together until they died which obviously Ellie never did. So if they had asked her if she wanted to go through with it and die for the chance to save everyone else, then she probably would have agreed. But the look on her face at the end trolls you all you need to know. She's upset because Joel took away her chance to make a difference but she doesn't hate him for it because she understands why he felt he had to "save" her.
  • Cyberhero18 - June 22, 2013 4:30 a.m.

*But the look on her face at the end TELLS you all you need to know...not trolls, stupid autocorrect.
  • Bloodstorm - June 22, 2013 5:41 a.m.

I agree. You felt bad for her in a way, even though you fought so hard to save her. You took away what she felt her calling in life was, to save mankind. But you also empathize with Joel, who has become a bad man because he lost everything he loved most, and now he has someone in his life again that he truly cared about, and once again it was humanity taking that away from him, and not the horrible monsters that destroyed the world. He doesn't want to save humanity, because it has done more to him than the infected ever have.
  • shinkeiDEI - June 22, 2013 9:35 p.m.

Plus, in an slight disagreement with Dave, I think "The Last of Us" make more sense taking Ellie and Riley as context, they promised they would die together, but Ellie went on and on, seen other people she loved and cared for die, and she left alive She knows she will be The Last of Us.
  • BladedFalcon - June 25, 2013 10:58 a.m.

Your mistake comes into assuming that she WANTED to be saved in the first place. From the beginning of the game, it's made clear that Ellie really does want to use his condition to help or save humanity. And even though she wasn't given the choice by the fireflies, had they given it, she would have accepted to sacrifice herself in order to save everyone else. Thus, Joel made a decision for her, and she's not at all obligated to like it. Also... I'm sorry, but if you think the ending was abrupt, you probably need to think it trough a little bit more. What exactly was missing in your opinion? nothing was left hanging, that ending represented the culmination of the Journey Joel and Ellie had taken, and what each of them had gone trough and out on the line to save each other. Yes, it was left a bit ambiguous, but then again, nothing else was needed to say. Joel had entirely made up his mind that he loved and wanted to protect Ellie above everything else, even above mankind and the world itself. And Ellie realized what this meant, and chose to remain with Joel even though she clearly disagreed with his choice. I really don't think anything else needed to be added, specially because one of the game's biggest strengths is it's subtlety. They don't spell things out for you, they want you to experience the world and figure out or make up their stories on your own. Over explaining or over showing things can be just as bad as under-representing them. So that The Last of US dared to walk trough that line alone was impressive, that i managed to pull it off (IMO) is truly astounding.
  • duane-cotton - August 30, 2013 3:49 a.m.

You do realise that Ellie was unconscious during the gun battle in the hospital don't you? I mean she wasn't aware Joel saved her life because she didn't know her life was in jeopardy. She wasn't told that she wouldn't be waking up when she was prepped for sugery. She was knocked out and awoken in Joel's truck. In fact the fact that she asked why she was wearing robes means she was unconcious before they changed her clothes. She wouldn't know Joel just saved her life because of the lie he told her about the fireflies nolonger looking for a cure. Ellie probably didn't know Marlene was dead if she even knew she was at the hospital in the first place.
  • slimjim441 - June 21, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Bravo, sir.
  • shawksta - June 21, 2013 1:59 p.m.

Allot of People like to think "Mature" suddenly means, blood,gore,sex cursing and only that which frankly isn't even the slightest meaning. I agree that the Last of Us is the definitely one of the top meanings of Mature. And its funny because most "Mature" games aren't even Mature and you can sometimes find more Mature elements in lesser rated(ESRB wise) games, I may be pushing it here, but Super Paper Mario, despite its laughs and jokes, had a pretty deep and Mature story when its not being funny and kept the serious tone.
  • rcarrasco121 - June 21, 2013 1:50 p.m.

The Last of Us is a great game with a beautifully executed story, but in my mind it had some major problems. Towards the ending in the winter segment when we take control over Ellie, we're supposed to believe that this 14 year old is able to outrun 150 grown men who've got guns because of her horse. And when her horse is taken away she has the power to not only kill dozens of infected clickers, but another dozen grown men? Not only that, but numerously during my play through, Ellie or any other ally, would run into enemies while I was in stealth mode and not tigger an alarm. The one thing I appreciated the most about Bioshock Infinite was that it put the companion in believable situations. She never was on the front lines of a combat situation, shooting a rifle, or stabbing grown men twice her size. And even without demonstrating violence, Anna Dewitt was still able to come across as a strong secondary character.
  • obviouslyadouche - June 21, 2013 4:21 p.m.

Would you rather the allies alarm enemies despite the fact you did nothing wrong? A story doesn't have to be believable for it to be mature, It's also pretty hard to hit something going that fast with a pistol, or any gun, let alone the smaller target of a child especially with limited ammunition. Nice spoilers for Infinite too.
  • rcarrasco121 - June 21, 2013 5:28 p.m.

For me, a mature game is somethng that has to be believable. I am not saying realistic, I am saying believable. A mature game could take place inside a purple marshmallow inhabited by tiny gnomes. Naughty Dog obviously went to great lengths to convey the idea that this is what could happen In a world where a deadly virus spreads and mankind is forced to adapt to a life it isn't used to. And having a companion whose running into enemy AI without any repercussions, or a 14 year old defeating an entire town full of armed adults, pulls you out of that.