• Person5 - December 29, 2011 11:02 a.m.

while all of these have valid arguments I am just wondering why the paper marios or Mario RPG don't count, I get you aren't doing any core games, but just because they aren't platformers doesn't make them any less core, well at least in my mind
  • Person5 - December 29, 2011 11:05 a.m.

disreguard my comment, I didn't see a response to my very question just before on the comments, there needs to be a delete or edit
  • higgins78 - December 29, 2011 10:12 a.m.

"Just think how much better this game would look in HD", a fair point you may think when looking for reasons why either Mario Galaxy or Galaxy 2 should be considered worse Mario ever BUT I can honestly say not once did this cross my mind as I spent days playing both. This idea that particular Nintendo games - while good - would be "better" in full-HD is getting annoying. Mario Galaxies (both of them) look flawless and both run silky smooth, what more is left to give? They don't as many put it "look good for the Wii" but instead look good period. I own a PS3 as well as my Wii but have not once found the graphics capable of my PS3 any better than what I have on the Wii. Just on a side note I would like to add my particular favorite Mario game is Super Mario World. Not just my favorite Mario game but fits easily in my top 5 games of all time, no mean feat since I have been gaming since the very beginning.
  • winner2 - December 29, 2011 9:58 a.m.

If we're not counting the Paper Marios, I think sunshine will forever hold its place as my favorite. Then come the Galaxies.
  • SparkleDevon - January 1, 2012 10:38 p.m.

Sunshine!<3
  • paladin07 - December 29, 2011 9:48 a.m.

I am surprised that" Super Mario Allstars"wasnt included. Yes it was a reboot of the the original Mario titles with better graphics, however it showed all the classics with better visuals. And you could finally play Mario 1,2, and 3 on your Snes.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - December 29, 2011 6:21 a.m.

Hey friendly readers, don't be discouraged that no RPGs are on here. The list was designed to only include the original versions of core Mario platformers. Had spin-offs been included the list would have probably been four times as long. Perhaps some day we'll do a list like this for the RPGs and other Mario side games. But I hope you all know I have much love for the Mario RPGs, Paper Mario in particular. I even wrote a pretty comprehensive history on them a couple years ago. http://www.gamesradar.com/the-complete-history-of-mario-rpgs/
  • xarab4lyfex - December 29, 2011 3:48 a.m.

Mario Sunshine forever. Still praying for a sequel to that game.
  • CitizenWolfie - December 29, 2011 3:08 a.m.

I suppose your favourite Mario is likely to be largely for the same reasons as your favourite Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda in that for most people, the first one of the series that they played is always going to be the most special. For me that'd be Super Mario World. Really loved SMB2 because it was so weird and trippy and I'd say right now SM3DL is my favourite of the 3D Marios (Didn't like Galaxy, sorry but the small planetoids did feel like a cop-out to me after being used to big levels packed with secrets). But SMW sums up everything Mario is about to me and has my favourite Bowser fight. And I still think it looks great even now - the bright colours, the environments, the chunky sprites and animation all totally work for me.
  • Hobogonigal - December 29, 2011 2:30 a.m.

I have to say that I have a lot of bias towards the 3D marios because I was brought up with them (SM64 was my first videogame at 3 years old). I still like the sidescrollers though with NSMB on DS and really enjoyed SM3DL on 3DS as it was a god mix of both 2D and 3D. I have to say though, SM Sunshine receives a lot more hate than it really should. It was great and the FLUDD wasn't lame, it spicened things up a bit. People argue that Nintendo just sticks to the same formula and with that game they tried to innovate and were just shot down for it.
  • codystovall - December 28, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Paper Mario up the ante everytime.
  • ScaryEric - December 28, 2011 9:08 p.m.

I actually went back to see if I missed a page. And I didn't. No super Mario rpg? No paper Mario on the n64? Great games. WTF?
  • DecoyOctorok - December 28, 2011 11:56 p.m.

As they clearly explained in the introduction, this article is focusing on the core Mario games. Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series are awesome games but they're still spin-offs.
  • ScaryEric - December 29, 2011 10:52 a.m.

Ahh i see
  • LordZarlon - December 28, 2011 8:04 p.m.

Another fantastic article from Hank! You've proved once again that your passion and insight are invaluable to GamesRadar! For years my favorite Mario was Mario 64 but honestly, when all is said and done, I have to say that it is Super Mario 3. Super Mario World is great but it primarily improves on 3 while adding some fantastic new elements. It's almost the same with Mario 64 and Sunshine. They control very similar but Sunshine refines what 64 did. After saying this you may ask why I pick SM3? Simply put, everything it does, it does great! And it did it first. Great article!
  • Japanaman - December 28, 2011 7:39 p.m.

Sonic and Knuckles is better than Mario World. Sonic 2 and Sonic CD is better than any Mario game except Mario 3.
  • GrandmasterB-Funk - December 28, 2011 7:01 p.m.

Sonic 2 and Sonic CD are better than Super Mario World COME AT ME BRO!!!
  • GrandmasterB-Funk - December 28, 2011 7:02 p.m.

otherwise though great article henry
  • garnsr - December 28, 2011 8:44 p.m.

As much of a Segaphile as I was in the 90's, I definitely liked Mario more than Sonic. I haven't played many games in either series since the 16 bit days, though.
  • soxknight1127 - December 28, 2011 6:19 p.m.

great article, even better than the Zelda one Brett (and others) did.