We Recommend

• coryhendetta - May 5, 2011 4:09 a.m.

Okay... so why are so many of the things that make the games "good" also make them "bad"? That is, why do you claim something is great about the game, then a few paragraphs later say it sucked? "... as well as set well-defined parameters for their behavior with the Gambit system. You’re also able to customize everybody as you choose with the use of the License Board. " As opposed to.. "abusing the License Board will give everyone access to the best weapons and armor the game offers, and with the Gambit system and a bit of programming know-how, you can make the game play itself while you kick back and watch everybody kick ass." This occurs several more times in the article. I can't really take the article seriously or understand any kind of point you're making when your claims are consistent.
  • minimaxi - May 5, 2011 3:26 a.m.

an article to end all FF arguments! until FFXV is released anyway, but you probably wouldn't make such article again until FFXXIII is out. My personal take: best: VII most overrated: IV (played the DS version though) most outstandingly mediocre: IX made me vomit blood upon seeing the character design: X willing to play to find out if it's the best: V and VI also, LOOOL @ FFIV
  • Daruniah - May 5, 2011 3:19 a.m.

I really want to play all of these games right from the beginning, right now.
  • RebornKusabi - May 5, 2011 3:12 a.m.

This is a phenomenal article, a proper epic for a series like this. Great job!
  • TheBrownestWRPGuknow - May 5, 2011 3:01 a.m.

I played XI for about 6 years. All things considered, definitely my favorite game, and I don't regret a minute of it. I think more than any other FF game, this one definitely makes it feel like YOU'RE the one playing, and i actually have nostalgia for some of the areas like thy were as real as the town i live in.. what with realistic travel and everything.... waiting 5 minutes for the airship.. haha
  • JimB - May 5, 2011 2:54 a.m.

I recently started playing through FFIX again. Still my favourite in the series, hands down. The author states the indifference towards IX by fans, but I haven't found this to be the case online. People tend to love it with a few dissenters hating it. It's the highest rated FF on PSN for goodness sake. Yes, higher than VII and VIII.
  • DizzyDial - May 5, 2011 2:45 a.m.

FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, and FFX are the ones I really like. The rest are all decent (XIII aside) but don't have the same oomph as the ones I truly love. As you can tell by my choices I'm a story-driven kinda guy so there's my bias but overall it's these select titles that got me hooked on RPGs in the first place. 10 years later and I'm still adding to my black label PS1 collection! /nostalgia
  • NightCrawler_358 - May 5, 2011 2:43 a.m.

Great article. I like FF7 and FF13, but prefer traditional fantasy, so my favorite would have to be between 3 and 10. in my opinion, FF13 had the best battle system.
  • revsears - May 5, 2011 2:43 a.m.

You should not have limited it to the numbered FFs, Tactics story and gameplay easily make it the best.
  • FVDub - May 5, 2011 2:40 a.m.

@BALLSTOTHEWALLET I agree completely. Chrono Cross comes in a close second for favorite FF game.
  • Robusken - May 5, 2011 2:23 a.m.

I loved how you represented both parts with such an "mhm" attitude. Goes to show that not one of these games is flawless. Personally, XIII is my favorite mostly because the story is actually important and it constantly made me want to keep playing.
  • ElwoodFiore - May 5, 2011 2:20 a.m.

ahahha im actually playing this as i post FF XIII is an extreme of a game. games should be this long aswell as dragon age II being a really good long game. If you cant stand being a noob for the beginning of the game and becoming a legend later it is well worth the reward to see your development hitting 100k's and giant mutated turtle things
  • Romination - May 5, 2011 2:16 a.m.

I really love FFII because it's so damn weird. It has ambition out the wazoo, I gotta say, but a lot of it really goes nowhere because leveling up each typed of weapon and each magic takes too long, and can be inconvenient, too. I have a level 7 cure, so that takes 7 MP, but I just have to heal 100 hp...
  • Whoissheandwhydidshesayit - May 5, 2011 1:36 a.m.

My fave was definitely X, with VI being a close second. I just loved X's story and gameplay. The VA was kinda cheesy, true, but for me I've always preferred the CTB to the ATB. Just felt more strategic.
  • bigwill1221 - May 5, 2011 1:12 a.m.

Lol at FF:14, Favorite hmmm.. 4 or 10.
  • Heyexclamationpoint - May 5, 2011 1:06 a.m.

I have good memories playing through V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and XII. Hindsight being 20/20, the only one that really felt like a drag was VIII.
  • BALLSTOTHEWALLET - May 5, 2011 12:58 a.m.

The best out of all these is Chrono Trigger. Deal with it.
  • EsotericFerret - May 5, 2011 12:56 a.m.

Outstanding article. Very informative. And that last entry ... priceless.
  • Helios - May 5, 2011 12:43 a.m.

Final Fantasy XIII is the only Final Fantasy game I own, but it is also one of the best games I own. I can't compare it to the previous games, of course, but-- *Squints at picture* Why is that girl picking her nose?
  • koubo - May 5, 2011 12:31 a.m.

My favorite is VIII. Mostly because it was the first one I played. It introduced me to the series, and I usually end up comparing the others to how much I liked the first one I played. Which seems to be an underlying reason between a lot of people's favorite. Most people I know love the first one they played the most. Also, I liked XIII's linearity. In almost every game I have played that had an open world, I would get lost and wander for hours on end trying to figure out where to go next, only to give up and not play the game for a long, long time (if I even came back to the game at all). Yes, XIII took a long time to get anywhere, but I was glad that I never got lost once. The only one I hate is X. It wasn't too bad overall, but I hated Blitzball so very, very much that it ruined the game for me, regardless of whether or not it was optional.