Topics

Infinity Ward

• zombi3grim - September 12, 2012 1:50 p.m.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like Call of Duty: Black Ops campaign better. I just like the era and I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories. Plus, the thought of black op soldiers and those off the grid just entice more then your average special op soldier. As far as multiplayer, MW3 is the best IMO. I didnt like Black Ops multiplayer too much, mostly because I dont like the currency system. From what I've seen of Black Ops 2 however, it looks like that one will take over as my favorite in the series.
  • sniper430 - September 12, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Samezies. The hallucinations and mind control were fantastic.
  • talleyXIV - September 12, 2012 5:19 p.m.

Black Ops campaign and WAW in my opinion were both awesome, especially with the 4-player co-op in WAW. But I have to say, Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer is some of the worst in the series. Its new ideas are fucking annoying and that is being nice. Deathstreaks are back again and maybe even more annoying than ever, support killstreaks allow for any terrible player to get a stealth bomber/EMP, (an EMP going off is annoying, but finding that it was set off by a guy who is 18-45 is infuriating) and the mic chat has actually gotten worse since Black Ops. The game just feels lazy, hell I feel like everyone has experienced those terrible sound glitches that rip your ears apart during an online match. Theater mode is massively bad and isn't even half as good as Black Ops. It just seems like whatever steps forward were taken with Black Ops multiplayer were taken back by Infinity Ward for no apparent reason.
  • jameseverett - September 12, 2012 1:31 p.m.

They still haven't managed to match the brilliant and iconic map design of the multiplayer in COD4 either...
  • Redeater - September 12, 2012 1:28 p.m.

I won't argue with this but I would feel the same way as if I read an article saying... "Why Avatar is one of the best movies ever made!"
  • zombi3grim - September 12, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Its a good thing you're not a proffesional critic.
  • Redeater - September 12, 2012 3:44 p.m.

I didn't think I could get much more neutral with my above statement. I must have really touched a nerve with you last tim. I'll try to remember to keep away from your comments but I suggest growing a thicker skin if you are going to post on the Internet.
  • zombi3grim - September 12, 2012 6:27 p.m.

Lol, you tell me to grow a thicker skin... Hypocrisy is awsome.
  • BackwaterRifle - September 12, 2012 9:02 p.m.

THe dude made a completely neutral statement, plus why are you arguing with a guy who has Crow T. Robot as his avatar.
  • Redeater - September 12, 2012 10:50 p.m.

"You......may live." "Thank you Crow" Meh, don't worry about it. I don't think he quite understands what thick skinned means. He got all fussy and racist a while ago when I replied to a comment of his. I let it go (because who wants to argue with someone who pulls the race card) and he didn't. Like I said. I don't think he understands what thick skinned means. ....or maybe he doesn't understand what Hypocrisy is. :)
  • zombi3grim - September 13, 2012 5:17 a.m.

Lol, yeah. You let it go because you're thick skinned. I know exactly what hypocrisy is. I know you "let it go" because you dont know the difference between racism and stereotype. If you want to bring it back up here, we most deff. can. Because you're thick skinned and you can handle it. Im not though, right? Hypocrisy at its finest.
  • BladedFalcon - September 12, 2012 5:39 p.m.

I'm not sure the comparison is warranted... I mean, aside from the fact that both are products that were both critically and financially very successful, and that gathered a negative backlash from the public after, the actual quality of the product, I believe, is much different. The thing with avatar is that is a beautifully shot, very pretty movie, but ultimately generic and derivative when it comes to it's story and characters. Say what you will about later CoDs, but CoD actually DID try different things with both it's gameplay set-pieces, AND the story and characters. Price alone, has far more personality than anyone in the avatar movie, and the campaign actually DID have genuinely shocking plot-twists. Of course, you're entitled to comparing them as you wish, just wanted to point out why I don't really think the comparison fits that well. If anything, If I had to compare CoD4 to a movie franchise, it'd be with the hangover. Which was a movie that had a surprisingly good story for it's genre, relatable characters... aaand spawned sequels that ultimately did the same thing the first one did.
  • Redeater - September 12, 2012 8:14 p.m.

I'll explain because I think you read way to much into my post. I didn't say Avatar was exceptionally good or bad. I just meant they are both juggernauts of their industry. I went through MW the same way I did avatar. I liked it just fine but once was enough. I was just stating my opinion not fact but I would react the same way if someone put MW in the same league with Portal 2 as I would Avatar being compared with Vertigo. Though I would still argue that the comparison is apt since I found both MW and Avatar extremely technically proficient but lacking in story. Regardless, just giving my thoughts in the situation. :)
  • BladedFalcon - September 12, 2012 10:42 p.m.

Yeah, fair enough, and I do tend to read too much into things, kind of my shtick XD And yeah, the surface comparison wasn't lost on me, i just happen to disagree with he story part, since I genuinely enjoyed MW's story quite a bit. (Really, so far the only other FPS that I have enjoyed more story-wise is the first Bioshock.) Which is why the comparison with avatar didn't sit right with me... Because Avatar really does have a pretty lame and predictable story all the way trough. Not to mention incredibly one dimensional characters. I will agree though, this game is definitely not on the same level as Portal 2, although I can recognize why it could be lauded as a great and important game. Werther we like it or not, (and most people don't, including me, but still XD) it was influential enough to make all the competition try and copy the formula ASAP.
  • Redeater - September 12, 2012 10:58 p.m.

Oh Bioshock. I have gone through the first game about 7 times and the second even more than that. On another note.......I seem to only have time to post on GR while on my iPhone. They seriously need an edit button on this site! I hate being busy and trying to write a couple of paragraphs with a delay on my tapping and pulse moving the screen all over the place only to find a shit load of incoherence and spelling mistakes! Thank god this is the internet.
  • Pwnage19 - September 12, 2012 1:19 p.m.

"Even using your favorite loadouts and using them consistently earned you bonuses, giving you better versions of perks as you complete specific challenges." To me, that sounds like you're hinting at pro perks...which weren't introduced until Modern Warfare 2. But I'm not sure if that's what you meant. Still a solid article!
  • Darkhawk - September 12, 2012 1:18 p.m.

As a self-described "sophisticated" gamer (can I do that?) I whole-heartedly agree. I don't play online shooters (and didn't in this case, either) but there's no question that the single-player campaign of Modern Warfare absolutely blew me away. I've since shown certain scenes to non-gaming friends and family, and they all agree that it's the closest to a Blockbuster film they've ever seen in interactive media. All Ghillied Up will always be one of the all-time great moments in gaming.
  • illway - September 12, 2012 1:18 p.m.

Call of Duty 4 is one of the greatest games ever made because its not any of the other Call of Duty games that came after it.