Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• Fruitbat - June 21, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Off the top of my head, I have at least 10 multiplayer-centric games on my PS3, including classics like Worms and Bomberman, but also new franchises like Battle Tanks and Castle Crashers. The local multiplayer hasn't gone away, but it's mostly to be found in the download market rather than part of a bigger title, which has its good and bad points. Still, I see a lot of potential in the Wii U for multiplayer, and it's nice to see it being exploited already. Definitely a point in its favour for me.
  • Rub3z - June 17, 2012 9:16 p.m.

You know what I haven't done in a long time? Sat down next to someone on the couch and challenged them to some pedal-to-the-metal racing mayhem. Autolog in the newer racing games is all well and good, but it , as well as racing against others over an online connection, cannot possibly compare to racing against someone who's every bit as confident at said racing game as you are, right next to you. Couch racing, imo, can provide for local multiplayer at its most pure. There's not even any reason for someone to complain about "screen-looking" that's so prevalent in, say, FPS games. But you know when your opponent starts starts sniggering to himself, or you hear the roar of his engine or the scream of his speedboost go off, when he howls in laughter at bumping you to the outside of a corner, or groans and curses when you do the same... there's really nothing quite like it. :)
  • jackthemenace - June 15, 2012 3:42 p.m.

Totally agree about the lack of local multiplayer this generation- one of the reasons I love Borderlands so much is because of being able to play it splitscreen with my friends. There's been such a major focus on online multiplayer that local multiplayer's kind-of taken a backseat, and been neglected altogether in a lot of games, but it really doesn't deserve that- it's something developers should value very highly.
  • Alex_Syros - June 15, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Your articles, Mr. Houghton, are pure gold! Both content and delivery. Bravo!
  • IceBlueKirby - June 15, 2012 11:50 a.m.

As someone who has spent more hours playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart Wii, and other games with people in the same room than playing anything online, the focus on local multiplayer would certainly be welcome. I just hope that, like others have said, it doesn't dampen the single player experience, since I'm not likely to have anyone to play the games with most of the time.
  • mikes1025 - June 16, 2012 4:14 p.m.

it won't dampen it. it can't. it has everything that the other consoles have as well.
  • bobob101 - June 15, 2012 11:11 a.m.

I understand the fundamental point he is trying to make, and it seems like a good one. But I have always preferred to game solo, and that is when I find gaming most enjoyable. To try to sell me on a system of gaming that is the most fun with at least one other person really turns me off, and I think that I may not be getting a Wii U for this reason.
  • ZhugeLiang - June 15, 2012 10:02 a.m.

No... no! My torch battery's gone FLAT! SHINE BEHIND ME, DAMNIT! WE'RE GETTING OUTTA HERE ALIVE, SOLDIER!
  • shawksta - June 15, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Coming from you Dave, I couldnt agree more. NintendoLand in general is easily thrown off when people dont realize its true meat. And whose to say there wont be awesome core single player games, P-100 and Pikmin 3(I still cant believe how every singtle pikmin is SHINY) look awesome and Multiayer games too. Nintendo really means it when they wanted to bring players closer.
  • ncurry2 - June 15, 2012 7:24 a.m.

Another great article Mr. Houghton. I agree, I love local multiplayer.
  • Mooshon - June 15, 2012 5:29 a.m.

Makes me a little bit sad really. My fondest gaming memories are local multiplayer Goldeneye, Bomberman, ISSoccer/Pro Evo with the lads. Facts are though that being in your 30's and married kind of locks you out of such jollies. Hard enough to get everyone together for a drink up let alone a LAN party - and my missus, bless her, is frankly crippled at gaming. If the single player experience is standard (at best) I'll probably be skipping this one.
  • Cyberninja - June 15, 2012 5:27 a.m.

I know what means I never play online mutiplayer, but when I gathered up a few friends and played rayman orgins it was a blast.
  • theycallmegep - June 15, 2012 4:14 a.m.

great article
  • SiPod - June 15, 2012 4:07 a.m.

Ah this is reassuring. I'd be starting to get quietly confident about the console, were it not for Nintendo's unrealistic demand that unsavoury characters such as my self make some friends. And as for having them congregate in the same room, well.
  • mikes1025 - June 16, 2012 4:19 p.m.

what about family? im sure not everyone is thrown off by you.
  • patrick-donaldson - June 15, 2012 2:52 a.m.

Couldnt agree more, the best thing about the Gamecube was lugging it round a mates house for 4 player Bomberman, I cant wait to re live those days with shiny graphics.
  • tehtimeisnow - June 15, 2012 2:43 a.m.

wii u is the biggest fale i ever seen it will fale so hard espacially since the new iphone will b out soon seriuosely when the neew iphone goes out there wont even b a wiiu
  • ShadowTails - June 15, 2012 3:06 a.m.

'The biggest fale' Hahahahahahahaha. Really?
  • AuthorityFigure - June 15, 2012 4:43 a.m.

"When the new iphone comes out there won't even be a Wii U" ? I don't even think YOU understood this when you tried to beat it out of your small, soft, wet brain-case.