• icbacomingupwithapropername - January 10, 2012 7:56 a.m.

I pretty much always buy my games from Amazon or steam, steam if there's a sale and from Amazon if I want a game cheaper and quicker than steam.( yes I said quicker it takes me around 6 days to download a game and Amazons free game delivery easily beats that) occasionally I'l buy from some obscure site that I found of Google shopping because its a few quid cheaper but not usually in fact I think I've only done it with two games those being Starcraft 2 collectors edition and wow Cataclysm collector edition.
  • kieronfielden - January 10, 2012 7:41 a.m.

i pre-order my games from Game.co.uk and purchase them from either asda or play.com.
  • hellis1989 - January 10, 2012 7:29 a.m.

The last game I bought in an actual store was Mass Effect 2, maybe six months ago. And that's only because it was £4.97 at Game. I thought they must have priced it wrong, so quickly took it up to the counter and handed over a fiver. Then I said to the guy "That's an absolutely ridiculous price," and he replied "Yup. And you're the only guy whose bought it. Depressing huh?" Other than that, I buy pretty much exclusively from Amazon; they tend to be at least a tenner cheaper and i've got Prime so free one day delivery. Works for me.
  • beemoh - January 10, 2012 7:01 a.m.

I used to buy from HMV when they used to have a 'two for £25' offer on. Oh, and I had a job and lived near a city centre so I could actually go to a HMV. That said, am I the only person who goes to supermarkets first for obscure games in the vain hope it will encourage their buyers to take risks on more interesting titles?
  • Swagsalot - January 10, 2012 6:52 a.m.

A store just like this used to be in a mall near my house in the States, it was called Sam Goody and their video games always stayed at their prices, even after 2-3 years of being out. It was ridiculous. I've found myself getting more and more games from Amazon.com because they always seem to have the better prices and I don't have to suffer through the awkward and/or antisocial GameStop employees.
  • Crumf - January 10, 2012 6:26 a.m.

HMV should be rebranded as RRP. Any retailer that sells games and movies at full whack won't get any business from me, which is why I don't buy anything that isn't on sale at HMV, Game and Gamestation. I reckon supermarkets have caught onto the fact that our attitudes are changing, as I've noticed that their prices aren't particularly brilliant either. I've lost count the amount of times I've said 'ffs' as the likes of Tesco and Asda offer a new chart game at a great price, but only if you buy something else with it! Seeing any game at a supermarket close to and over £40 grinds my gears. I tend to shop at my local Grainger Games, online I use Twitter to find the best deals through users postabargain and frugalgaming.
  • Stegga - January 10, 2012 5:56 a.m.

I lost all respect for HMV a few months ago when trying to price match a trade in with Gamestation. I asked the guy at the checkout how much I'd get for trading something in, he told me and the value was more than I could get at Gamestation (but Gamestation had something I wanted to buy). So I asked the guy if I could have a receipt to take to Gamestation and he said that the system doesn't give receipts for trade ins, as the receipt was being printed. The look on his face as I asked what that piece of paper coming out of the til was was priceless, so yeah I won't be going back to HMV in a hurry.
  • acridweasel - January 10, 2012 5:42 a.m.

I recently bought a £20 HMV.com voucher for £10 - bargain, I thought. The problem was, I couldn't find anything to buy with it. I know that if I bought 1 item it was essentially reducing the price by £10, but the prices were all so high that many games would still have been cheaper elsewhere or, at the very best outcome, would only be a few pounds cheaper (ignoring the fact that the likes of ShopTo.net & GAME.co.uk are very good for delivery times). In the end I bought a few Blurays (Casino, Heat & Attack the Block) with my £20 voucher and continue to buy games online - almost exclusively - from ShopTo & GAME, based on price and delivery.
  • rxb - January 10, 2012 5:26 a.m.

I dont think Ive ever gone to HMV to buy a game. Ive never really thought of them having an extensive collection of games. If they want to cut down even more then its their choice. I think most people look online for hard to find games anyway. Recently my local HMV has expanded on tech. Good luck selling £200 headphoes.
  • Mezolitik - January 10, 2012 4:22 a.m.

HMV moans about falling sales like it's somebody else's fault. It's not unusual for chart CDs in HMV to be >£15. They have decent deals on DVDs, but their games are far too expensive. I get all my games from Steam, these days. That, or Amazon. Even if you have to pay the postage, you're still saving a boatload of cash on HMV's prices. I hate to see businesses go down the drain, but HMV can't compete with even high-street names any longer. It makes you wonder who their supplier is, given that every other games retailer seems to have more competitive prices.
  • Joco84 - January 10, 2012 4:21 a.m.

It's quite simple, they think that they can fleece customers entering their store by selling new games at around £5-£15 more expensive than online retailers. Now, the usual "mum buying for son" wouldn't think to look elsewhere, assuming that HMV would sell at a competitive price. Unfortunately for HMV, the majority of the game-playing public are well aware of price comparison sites and are wise to the fact that HMV have now built up this unfavourable reputation, which keeps us away from their stores. They need to get their prices in-line (within £1/£2) with the online retailers, or the majority will continue to steer well clear of HMV/Game/Gamestation stores
  • inkyspot - January 10, 2012 4:04 a.m.

I buy my games from Amazon, or Best Buys, or when I am in Cali Fry's Electronics. HMV, never.
  • FemmeFox - January 10, 2012 3:47 a.m.

Typically when I shop in town for games I tend to go to Gamestation for the bigger choice and best deal. I rarely go to HMV because of their pricing, though if there's something specific Im looking for and having trouble finding Im happy paying the higher price as their ordering in system is very broad. But I mostly use that for anime, not games. If I shop online (which I am far more likely to do) its primarily at ShopTo.net for brand new games or simply eBay for older or imported titles.
  • V TheSystem V - January 10, 2012 3:38 a.m.

Recently bought Darksiders in HMV for 15 quid, and am really enjoying it! Sure, they stick to the RRP a lot, but when they have deals on, they're very, very good deals. Usually buy my games from Amazon, Game.co.uk, or any other place where they're cheap. HMV I do buy from occasionally though.
  • jonnylil - January 10, 2012 3:36 a.m.

Only buy games at HMV if I'm given a voucher as there are rarely any good offers on non preowned games that can't be beaten elsewhere. I will buy from Game, Gamestation and the supermarkets if there is a sale on but I usually buy online from amazon, play and zavvi especially from their mega monday sale. I think HMV only beats PSN for prices of the full retail games but nowhere else
  • JD_Method - January 10, 2012 3:33 a.m.

Usually ShopTo.net for new releases. The super-fast delivery is just unmatched by any other retailer. Prices are usually decent too. For older titles - just wherever is cheapest online. I always buy games online. Can't remember the last time I bought a game in a brick and mortar shop.
  • Chris_Head91 - January 10, 2012 3:32 a.m.

i often buy from Amazon but i do look out for sales at gamestation, my timing kinda sucks though as i think i'm the only person who paid full wack for Rayman Origins XD
  • rynmls - January 10, 2012 3:32 a.m.

old games same as the price when its new? you got to be kidding me. i hope all of the game retailers learn their lesson from being to greedy to money...
  • Y2Ken - January 10, 2012 3:30 a.m.

Often from Amazon, they tend to be the cheapest. ShopTo are pretty good too and they do free first class delivery. I do also buy from GAME and GameStation, particularly if I want to buy something at release anyway as I get 10% student discount. =)
  • Goldjit - January 10, 2012 3:29 a.m.

The problem with HMV is pricing. They don't manage their prices to compete with the other stores. Take Rayman for example. When it first came out it was £40 to £47 in the first few weeks. Near to Christmas, everyone reduced it to £20 to £30. HMV followed suit with £27. Now that's good (not great as they were still on the high end still at they time) but yesterday I want in and saw it for £47! Infact everything was bumped back up to £40+! While all other shops have kept Rayman at arond £20 to £30. Why on earth would they think they, a primary music and dvd storeline, can sell games at such a high price when game stores are still putting deals and reducing RRP all around?